Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Channel 20 Thriller & the Channel 50 Scary Movie « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the intro to the Channel 20 Thriller that they used for years?? LOL

Or the bumper for the scary films on Channel 50 with the screaming man, where the screen would bleed orange? This brings back memories from when I was in PRESCHOOL!!!
I remember the Channel 50 8 O' Clock Movie where they would show "The Wiz", "Silver Streak", "Bustin Loose", "Fatso" and other movies like that. But back to the scary movies . . . what were your favorites?
I loved "Creepshow", "The Pit and the Pedulum", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", "Cats Eye", "Fire Starter", "Carrie", "Rawhead Rex" and the other movie with Amy Irving, and the David-Hasselhoff-in-NightRider look-a-like with the vain that that would pop out in the middle of his head when he used his ESP.
Anyone have any videos of the bumpers for the Channel 20 Thriller, or the Channel 50 scary movies? they are no where to be found on YouTube

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been a topic for years at Keith Milford's Vintage Detroit TV and Movie Board. No footage has surfaced as of yet.

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

copying "Keith Milford's Vintage Detroit TV and Movie Board" . . .about to paste into google right now :-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gawd there was some bad movies on there. The original Assault on precint 13, and blackula (my fave). Numerous others I can't recall the title of. What was the one were the beauty queen encountered some kind of mishap to her face? Remember she had to keep killing women to apply thier skin to her scar tissue? Or the one where a head showed up in a box at a police station? You can still down load some of these classic B horror movies on Comcast's On demand for free.

(Message edited by cambrian on August 22, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the Saturday afternoon thriller? My favorite was the one where they were at a high school reunion and a classmate that was bullied came back and murdered them all in the school. I forgot the name of it but the killer was dressed as a court jester...

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember channel 20 using a cut of Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" for station identification. When I was a kid, that whining eerie noise scared the crap outta me.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the corny-ass Vincent Price movies, for example "The Tingler"?

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abra, I was just about to say that. That intro with Robert Plant screaming and those quick horror film clips really freaked me out when I was a kid.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9715
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that intro for The show Night Gallery?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys too young to remember the "Creature Feature" and the Ghoul? The Ghoul used "Who Stole the Kishka" as his theme. Not too scary ...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That intro with Robert Plant screaming"

LOLOLOL

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ the Led Zeppelin station identification.
I remember listening to the radio with my brother when we were little, and him finding that song on the radio. We were like "It's the Channel 20 song!!"

IT was kinda freaky though with the clips from the old movies floating through space, with that song playing in the back ground.

Remember channel 20's commercial for the show "Tales from the Darkside", where they used that song from "On the Darkside" from Eddie & the Cruisers? I used to be scared when they would show that Teddy Bear with the eyes that lit up bright red.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah they don't seem to have any really good ghost stories on TV anymore. There's a bunch of lame ghost hunter programs on that are pretty bad. I do like TAPS on the Sci Fi channel though. They make a serious attempt at investigating hauntings. The brit one on Travel Channel is baaadd! The mediums remind me of washed up night club performers and they pass off infared images of dust floating through the air as "real ghosts". Plus whenever a small noise occurs in the dark everyone starts cursing so instead of hearing what they supposedly hear, you hear the censorship beeps.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a show on Discovery channel called "A Haunting". That show can be spooky sometimes. I agree, TAPS is pretty good sometimes, too. Although I liked it better when it was just the two guys and maybe a helper or two, now they have a lot of younger guys on staff that act like jackasses and ruin it.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My beef with the Discovery channel show is they never conclude any of thier investigations. They turn over all this information to the cops and we never learn if any of it was accurate data.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, for a whole generation, "Whole Lotta Love" conjured images of zombies crawling out of the earth and stuff. That's hilarious.

Didn't they also use "Planet Claire" for the chiller thriller station break music?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not the investigators. The one I'm talking about are just stories of haunted houses told by people who lived in them. Maybe I had the name wrong. I agree, for ghost hunting shows, TAPS is the only decent one.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I ve seen that one John. That is pretty good. All the people in those stories resort to trying an exorcism. I wouldn't mind if they kept making those, I think that's an older series.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you ever notice that those stories always involve a young couple, it is their first house together, and they have a young child? Then the father starts acting aggressive or strange... Hmmmm... Makes you wonder if it's easier for Mom to blame the house than to face what's going on...

Cambrian

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I'd love to see a ghost. The most convincing to me was that TAPS episode when they were investigating that armory. They caught the sound technician on video getting broadsided by his own carryall pouch. It socked him in the face, there was no way he could have done that himself as his hands were full of sound equipment. I guess it could have been done by someone standing behind him that was holding onto a cord attached to the pouch, but had me believin'.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tales from the Darkside and Monsters!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I saw that one. There was also the episode where they were in that Irish Castle. Some little gnome spirit knocked a guy right on his ass. Plus there was some CREEEEEEPY sounds in a pit where prisoners were once tortured and then thrown down onto spikes. People screaming for help... That one was chilling.

Then the episode where they were at the hotel that "The Shining" was based on. The guy stayed in the same room Stephen King stayed at when he was inspired to write the book, left a camera on his nightstand running all night. A glass on the night stand shattered for no reason, and the camera caught the closet door opening and closing by itself. Inside the closet was the sound of all kinds of movement and footsteps, yet the closet was barely big enough for one person to fit in. YIKES!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm always the skeptic about that kinda stuff. The places they visit, especially if it's a public place like a hotel or tourist attraction, has SO much to gain if we think their place is haunted. I would wonder if there's some employee hiding out unbeknownst to the TAPS crew, making mischief. I like how on the Queen Mary they had freaky footage of some invisible force pulling the sheets off the bed in the haunted state room, but TAPS exposed it as some one fooling around with thier camera. That's why I tend to trust thier program, they work hard to expose hoaxes rather then just having flaky mediums engage in eye squinting conversations with thier invisible friends.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Detroit have a Creature Feature program in the late 70s/early 80s on channel 50? I remember watching it when I was little- it had a green monster in the promo.

Man, I loved that how. Up until I was 9 years old I used to think that Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Price were the same person because Price was in all of those cheesy Poe remakes.......

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6483
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed those 8 O'clock movies. It's being replaced by hip cool skinny jean network shows filled with sex sex and more sex for,to and from kids.

Scottwallace17
Username: Scottwallace17

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed-

The movie you're talking about is called Slaughter High...that is a bad ass cult classic horror movie

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about all the horror movies they played during the month of October. The whole Halloween chain, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Jason series. Wasn't the hostess' name Elvira or something?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little off topic, but the one that scared me the most was "the voice of God", the guy who did the voice-over for the NFL Highlight films on Sunday mornings, with a tone in his voice as if he were describing the end of the world. I can`t, however, remember his name.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy's name is/was John Facenda. I always wanted the Lions to be good/make the play-off just so I could hear this guy narrate the highlights. Of course, Facenda is long dead and the Lions still suck.

Ookpik

(Message edited by Ookpik on September 11, 2007)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Channel 20 air "Scream Theater"? I remember it was a treat to stay up past midnight to watch?
Anyone remember this show? Gee, I miss that 70's gore...Troma should release a box set!

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Movies that are really memorable to me are
Troll
Dolls
Creepshow 2
and the one with this tribal doll with a knife chasing and stabbing this lady played by actress Karen Black

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden: The one with Karen Black is Trilogy of Terror, isn't it?

Goldensunshine

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT may be . . .cause I remember it being a short in a series, that made up the whole movie.

But wasn't there an OLD Trilogy of Terror with Vincent Price & Peter Lore?
Channel 20 used to show that too - if I'm not mistaken

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did they ever run this classic?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt00 96142/

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama" ????
No 56packman, I don't think they did. That sounds like something the Ghoul would show. Sir Graves once showed "the Tingler" and "Killer Shrews".
Shock Theater also showed "Killer Shrews" That "Trilogy of terror" was with Karen Black and that little doll. I think they used my ex-wife as the model for that doll.

The_ed

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy who played Blackula was the second King of cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse. His name is William Marshall. (The first one was Gilbert Lewis.)

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in the early 80s the one on channel 20 was called the creature feature and I as well was creaped out by the whole lotta love scream .

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the Ghoul! Still have my "Ghoul Power" t-shirt; bought it at a booth that was selling his stuff at a flea market on Woodward back in the early '70s.

The_ed

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have an original "Froggy T-Shirt"

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's a good site/place to look for upcoming scary movies? Isnt it SHOCKTOBER!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SHOCKTOBER, i think i have the ghoul & count scary on tape someplace. pluck that magic twanger froggy.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... saw 'The Tingler' at a theatre in New York City that wired up the seats with vibrators (like the original). The deal is you have to scream to hold off the bad juju and the narrator sets that up at the beginning. So when the seats start vibrating the entire audience starts screaming. Great stuff!

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thread bump...

OOOH, OOOH, THE TINGLER IS ON TCM - STARTING IN A FEW MINUTES.

(Message edited by ptero on October 13, 2007)

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Sir Graves!! NNNYYYYYAAAAHHHH!http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.