Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Does anyone know the history of this building on Michigan Ave near Livernois? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears to be an old firehouse. There is a plaque on the building stating 1890. It is painted Casa De Espana now and is abandoned. It's located on the North side of Michigan Avenue right near Livernois ( I am having trouble remembering if it is East or West of Livernois, I believe it is East ) . I am hoping to find out any information anyone may have about this building and it's transformations though the years. The address is either 5135 or 6135 Michigan Ave - it's tough to make out. There is a picture of the building at http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2336/1505923754_8113101564_o. jpg . Thanks again for your help!

DD

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried calling that "info" number? :-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a Spanish tapas restaurant for awhile. It featured live entertainment at times; a flamenco dancer I know once performed there.

Obviously, the restaurant owner was unable to make a go of it.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casa de Espana was a very successful restaurant for several years in the early and mid-90's. It was originally located on Bagley St. in the Los Galanes space. A husband/wife team ran the place. The husband died tragically (can't remember the details) and the wife carried on for a few years before closing the place. All restaurants have life cycles. It's an interesting building. It's surprising that the building has remained empty for so many years. One wonders if there are title issues.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

derek; the address is 6138-6152 michigan avenue; detroit, mi 48210 and is located one block east of livernois. it was a firehouse before being converted into the restaurant mentioned above.

it could be yours for $349k: http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Lo oplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?LL =true&LID=14684070&STID=Collie rsMN_Detroit it's been on the market now for quite a while. almost two years, i believe...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Casa de España was killed in a crash. It was a warm, vital place, even without benefit of a liquor license--you brought your own. He built (I think himself) a giant mosaic of Spain out of small tiles--wonder if it's still in there. If the place is in good shape, I think it'd be a great buy.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former DFD Engine 22, Michigan and Military, in operation from 1896 to 1983. (according to MM's spreadsheet)

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 10, 2007)

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's to bad he didn't have a liquor license, his van got t-boned pulling out of the liquor store around 32nd and michigan. He was a heluva nice guy, wish I could remember his name.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then a truck repair place, then Juan and Eva bought it, after running the "Bagley Cafe" in what is now Los Galanes. They moved to the firehouse in '91.
Eva sold the place to somebody who has done nothing with the property, and moved back to Valencia, Spain.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - Thanks for all the help everyone! Sounds like that building has been thru a lot.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4265
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would pay anything close to that $1/3 million asking price, even with some recent development nearby? That place at least didn't look so bad a decade ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.