Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » DPD Precincts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody out there know if there was ever a 9th precinct? This would have been before the 60's. Ray1936 might know. The odd numbered precincts would have been on the east side of the city. #13 was on Woodward but perhaps prior to the new building it was east of Woodward.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could hae swore the one on Gratiot is the 9th Precinct.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former precinct on Gratiot was the 15th Precinct . The city did some renumbering and changed the location of the 15th Precinct. It was formerly located at the SW corner of Gratiot and Conner.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, ok. Thanks for correcting me.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick google search turns up quite a few references of a 9th Precinct at 11187 Gratiot...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, but you have to go back some more years.
The original ninth precinct was at the corner of Bethune and John R. Known as the Bethune Station, it also housed the Mounted Bureau. The building no longer exists. It handled about six square miles along Woodward just south of the southern Highland Park border. In 1954, the station was closed and the territory simply added to that of the (then) thirteenth precinct on Woodward.

From the time of the last City of Detroit annexation in 1927 to 1954, there were fifteen precincts. In those years, they were:
1st Precinct - Central station at 1300 Beaubien.
2nd Precinct - For some time on Trumbull south of Michigan, and later in a new building (1947) at 20th and W. Vernor.
3rd Precinct - Hunt station at Hunt and Gratiot
4th Precinct - Fort-Green station at that location.
5th Precinct - McClellan station on McClellan and I forget what cross street.
6th Precinct - McGraw Station at McGraw and Braden.
7th Precinct - Chene Station on Chene and Canfield.
8th Precinct - Grand River station at Grand River and 12th Street.
9the Precinct - Bethune station
10th Precinct - Petoskey Station, Petoskey & Joy Road
11th Precinct - Davison Station, E. Davison and Conant.
12th Precinct - Palmer Park station at W. 7 Mile and Woodward
13th Precinct - Woodward Station, Woodward and Hancock.
14th Precinct - Schaefer Station, Schaefer and Grand River
15th Precinct - Conner STation, Conner and Gratiot

In 1954, besides closing old #9, they also closed #8 adding its turf to the 2nd Precinct, and #3, giving their territory to #7.

During the 60's and 70s, new buildings were erected to replace some of the more antiquated ones.

The 5th Precinct shut down the building on McClellan and opened a new one on Jefferson.

The 7th Precinct shut down Chene Steet and opened one at Mack and Gratiot.

The 10th Precinct lost the old Petoskey station for a new building at Livernois and Elmhurst.

The 11th precinct moved to new digs on E. Nevada.

The 12th Precinct, well, it moved next door to a new building.

The 14th Precinct saw the City purchase the old Monaghan K of C hall behind the old 14th precinct building and had it remodelled into a police station.

15 got the old car dealership on Gratiot.

And in 1955, the territory of the 14th precinct was split in half when the 16th precinct building opened up at Six Mile and Grand River. In fact it began operations on November 1, 1955. Happy anniversary, old vacant abandoned building.......

In 1984, the Chief of Police, Bill Hart, decreed that since (at that time) we only had 13 precincts, there was to be a re-numbering of the precincts to reflect the 'correct' number. The result of that was old #15 being re-named Number 9, and a whole bunch of other changes that I never really caught up with.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern precinct boundaries in 1977:

east

Ray1936

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Western precinct boundaries in 1977.

west

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5629
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the far east side is now serviced by a precinct at Jefferson & St. Jean, which is MANY miles away.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so in 84 is when the 16th became the 8th?

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The east side is not serviced by the station on St. Jean and Jefferson. It is serviced by the old #9 now E district on Gratiot and old #11 on Nevada now NE district. The old fifth was sold to Homeland Security.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936; Do you remember where the old number 13 was? That building looks pretty new. You could be the Long Distance Historian Emeritus of the DPD. Was #9 on the corner of John R and Bethune. The Mounted Section was just west of the corner. The corner was a vacant lot which was used for parking.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Popcanman. The 5th Precinct has been closed for some time now.

The 9th gives NE Detroit decent response time, although I hear the one on Nevada is crap.

Gistok

Post Number: 5630
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I asked one of my former neighbors in the 1990's (a police officer), he said that the far east side (Balduck Park area) was serviced by the station on Jefferson & St. Jean. If that was correct back then, when did that change?

Gistok

Post Number: 5631
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the way precincts are now... but they were not always so...

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/po lice/dept/pcts/map.htm

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If that was correct back then, when did that change?

Precincts were restructured into districts over a year ago. Where have you been?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I asked one of my former neighbors in the 1990's (a police officer), he said that the far east side (Balduck Park area) was serviced by the station on Jefferson & St. Jean. If that was correct back then, when did that change?"

When Kwame presented us with his recent Budget Cuts (roughly 3 years ago, give or take a year). The 7th precinct was also on the closure list (for the eastside).

Ray1936

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"so in 84 is when the 16th became the 8th?"

Correct. Also in '84 a new station was opened at Plymouth and Warwick, and designated #6 with old #6 being closed.

I can't remember where the early 13th precinct station was located before the new (1947) building was opened. Here's a little trivia, though.....that 'new' building and the building of the Vernor (#2) precinct were built by the same contractor, and one building is the mirror image of the other. Saves architectural fees, I guess........

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those current districts are huge! What's the reason for the notch between the Northeastern and the Eastern Districts?

(Message edited by missnmich on November 02, 2007)

Stinger4me

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Harper Woods at the NE side.

Dds

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Harper Woods at the NE side.

I think Missnmich means the notch in the boundaries between NE and E. If that's the case I would venture to guess that it's City Airport.

Missnmich

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, Dds, thank you.

Gistok

Post Number: 5634
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, can you even answer a question on this forum without condescending commentary?

I know they changed last year with the downsizing... my question was not when did they last restructure, but when did the Jefferson/St. Jean station stop being the station for the far east side?

Those 2 things could have been mutually exclusive, or not.

And where I've been... I now live in SCS, so I no longer have a "need to know" where every Detroit police station is located.

Popcanman55

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no "notch" between Eastern district and Northeastern district. Eastern is 5th precinct and 9th precinct combined and Northeast district is 7th precinct and 11th precinct combined. The 5th closed when they went to districts about 3 years ago. It was just recently sold to Homeland Security and will be torn down to build a new office building.

Dds

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dds, can you even answer a question on this forum without condescending commentary?

Sorry. I guess I thought all of the discussion here about the restructuring and closures when it occurred, plus this fairly recent thread:

5th Precinct Purchased for 1 Million

I assumed you would have known and was kind of surprised.

Dds

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is no "notch" between Eastern district and Northeastern district.

Popcanman: Take a look at the map again.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/po lice/dept/pcts/map.htm

As you follow the western boundary of the E District north from Belle Isle, about due west of the empty space where Hamtramck should be, there is a definite notch of the NE district that juts out into the E District, right about where City Airport would be.

(Message edited by dds on November 02, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From about 1970 to the time the big shifts were made last year or so, there was minor 'tweaking' of precinct boundaries nearly every year. Those changes reflected a constant analysis of population/crime stats/changing natural boundaries in attempts to make the department as efficient as possible. I'm sure factors are currently being reviewed regularly and some more minor adjustments will come in years ahead.

Popcanman55

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by popcanman55 on November 03, 2007)

Popcanman55

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds believe me there is no notch in the coverage. I have been on the job 34 years and counting. City airport is the NE district. Conner is roughly the dividing line.

You can't use that stupid color coded map as it doesn't get down to streets. In the same area as city is airport is mount olivet cemetery. The cemetery takes up I bet close to a square mile between the new and old parts. That could be your "notch" as the cemetery is NE district and is shaped a lot like your "notch"

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still like "precinct", because it sounds "Detroit". But I guess I'm old school. Why are the "Western" and "Northwestern" Districts reversed? Shouldn’t the names follow the same way as "Eastern" and "Northeastern" did, with the furthest district with the "East” or "West" moniker? If Dearborn were annexed by Detroit, would it be the "Southern" district? Just nit picking guys. Here is a snap of…?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com /1120/1409795165_9420126899_b. jpg

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1999 precinct areas:

http://www.cus.wayne.edu/conte nt/maps/1999Crime.pdf

Gistok

Post Number: 5642
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dds... I usually don't followed the Police threads... usually the news isn't good! :-(

Missnmich

Post Number: 626
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds was correct in answering my question. I was commenting on the reason for the jagged border (not the coverage) between the districts, and City Airport must be the reason.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Personally, it would be sort of lightheaded to service City Airport to the one all the way on Nevada when the other district is practically next door.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why are the "Western" and "Northwestern" Districts reversed? Shouldn’t the names follow the same way as "Eastern" and "Northeastern" did, with the furthest district with the "East” or "West" moniker?"

Just another example, Bulletmagnet, of how the east side and the west side are different worlds.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the 13th precinct, what's up with the sale of it to Ted Gatzaros owner of Fishbones? That was announced during the summer, and I haven't heard anything since. Where is the Central District supposed to move?

Jba1
Username: Jba1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Stinger4me..
Yes there was a 9th Prct on Gratiot.
11187 Gratiot Avenue, Detroit, MI 48213

The old 15th Prct which was located on the SE corner of Gratiot and Connor was torn down and was turned into a parking lot for the City Airport before Southwest Airlines moved in for a short period of time. The 15th Prct was rebuild on the corner of Gratiot & Gunston. For a period of time during re-districting this precient was turned into the 9th Ptct. I cannot remember which came first, 15th or 9th but anyway your memory serves you correct.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.