Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » McNichols W. & Schaefer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any memories of this area. At this corner was Federal's, a jewelry store, Firestone Tires, and a filling station. a block south Mercury Theater. A block north Mt. Carmel Hospital.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5905
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ned's Firestone to be exact.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former F.W. Woolworth store caught fire in summer 2006.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a diner/burger place on that corner at one time? Or maybe it was 6 and Wyoming. The Mercury, along with the Norwest, were great theatres to view movies and take a date.

There was a butcher/meat market south of 6 Mile Road. I think this meat market closed in the 80s after the owner and several employees were all murdered during a robbery. It was terrible.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little ways off of the SW corner was an appliance repair shop. Got a hand-mixer fixed their once.

Oh, and on the NW corner my life changed forever when my little boy was born.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig: McNichols Electronics is still there. Near Lesure St.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there today, catching the Schaefer bus after lunch with colleagues. Busy, busy bus trip from there down toward Dearborn. Would have loved to have seen it in its heyday, but was prowling the east coast in those days.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercury Fish & Chips and Sporting good store across the street, Biff's, Father & Son Shoes, Dairy Queen across from the Mercury, Little neighborhood bar kitty corner from the Mercury, Near S&H for good breakfasts, Ted C. Sullivan Funeral Home, A Herc's or Chalet nr, Mt Carmel, ....Mercury .25 matinees Wed & Sat, spot lights for big shows

W_6_mile

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasnt there a drive in restaurant near Stansbury?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4725
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really sad part about all these nostalgia threads is that almost all of those heydays were a full half century ago--never to return. It was that brief time before all of the K-Marts and malls were installed.

It matters not where those viable business intersections were because they were virtually everywhere back then. Same for other rust-belt cities.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom used to be an usher at the Mercury Theatre and wore a uniform. Must have been in the 40s.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the expressways and the conversion from streetcars to buses that moved the businesses to the freeway off-ramps and highway plazas. Developers and retailers invest in retail locations where government has created permanent transportation infrastructure, which streetcars were thought to have been and expressways appear to be, and buses are not.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the Mercury theatre showing films in the early nineties. I took that route to visit my girlfriend who lived on Littlefield. She told me too many rowdies frequented the place.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Terry; I might have been one of the rowdies, in those days. Catch a flick between drinks at Tom's Tavern.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toms Tavern is that little shack on 7?mile?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A relative last month slapped a bunch of our home movies from the mid 1940s to somewhere around 1975 onto a DVD. My Milwaukee folks had their 25th (1966) anniversary party somewhere on Schaeffer--probably around Chicago. I tried to place a few seconds of film shot of the outside of the hall.

It appeared to be on the west side of the street (shadows), and it appeared have a German or other European theme. Maybe I can still frame it and try to locate it. Or just ask around...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on January 04, 2008)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6933
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly I missed The Mercury Theatre, Woolworth's Ned's Firestone. 2 welfare offices, Meatland and Slick Men's Wear. Those were great stores in the 1980s at the Hubbard/King Plaza and sub-division.

Ned's Firestone was torn down to make way for a Burger King in 1986 still in business today. There's a Corner KFC opened in 1985 still in business today. Fairway Foods supermarket opened in the 1970s Chaldean Owned at the time. Still in business today. One big Social Services Office on the corner, closed since 1990, the building is vacant. Former Michigan Bell Customer Payment Center opened in the late 1970s closed in 1984, become Slick Men's Wear, black owned and operated until 1989 now a Asian owned Beauty and Barber Supply Store. A Chaldean Owned Liquor Store opened in the 1960s Closed in late 1990s, building now vacant, Daily Discount Store, opened in 1985 Asian Owned and operated, closed in early 1990s. Meatland opened in 1986 business changed into Piquette Meat Market by the early 1990s. Woolworth's Dept Store and bargain Basement opened in 1926 Closed in 1990, became L-Mart, Arab Muslim Owned and operated, building burned down in 2006 now vacant pit. Others stores in the Hubbared King Community along Six Mile Rd. Mercury Theater built in 1926, Closed in 1990 torn down in the mid 1990s to build a new retail mini mall.

Spike Lawerance Trophy Co.
Don's Family Barber Shop
House Of Flowers
Sleepy Hollow Day Care Center
Kermit's Beauty Solon
A Shoe Repair Shop
Furniture Store
McNichols Clock Repair Shop
L. George's Coney Island
Burger King
76 Gasoline Station
Aquarium
Mercury Theater
Babes Dance Club
Abbot Video Store
A white owned Cleaners ( been in the neighborhood since 1919) still in business today
A sweet shop
Barber shop
Blue Note Night Club
Wig Shop
Golden Bowl Chop Suey
Detroit Sound Record Store
NBD Bank
Detroit Public Library
More Chaldean Owned convenient stores and many more.

AHH! Those were the days When I grew up in the Hubbard/King Neighborhood on Detroit's NW Side.

Folks over there keep the community in and the crackheads out.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: Fairway Foods is closed as if suffered fire damage from that L-Mart fire.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Terry, Tom's is the shack on 7 just west of Wyoming. Beautiful dive.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love reading about the old shopping areas, probably went to that area when i was little, think i asked this before "how many federals stores were there in detroit?" seems like there were a few.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the movie "The Warriors" at the Mercury in the late seventies. IIRC, a pretty impressive theater. The movie spurred a whole lot of fear that it would ignite gang violence. Don`t remember if it did particularly, but the flick was kinda dumb.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen Batman in 1989 at the Mercury.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! I saw "The Warriors" AND "Batman" (along with a lot of other movies) at the Mercury! I thought that the "solar system" decor was great. I miss that theater...

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops I thought that this was the McNichols E. and Schafer thread. . . .

W_6_mile

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going into the basement at Woolworth and looking at the goldfish. I remember they caught a guy stealing a pair of socks! He had them under his shirt. I dont know what they did with him.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived 1 mile from this neighborhood(Ward Av@Fenkell). Two things that come to mind frm the area. A sporting goods store that sold Northland brand hockey sticks just like the ones the Red Wings used. The other thing, I believe there was a Catholic church-Precious Blood-that used to host 4th of July picnic & fireworks. Anyone remember that?. The Mercury was a great date theater. Saw the Rock/Doris movies there. Also The Longest Day.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70s, some of my cousins attended Precious Blood before going on to Redford St. Marys on Grand River.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to that aquarium near there. They had the largest pirahnna fish called grandaddy. I bought my own pirahnna from there.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I busted one of Federal's plate glass windows along 6 Mile after having been carjacked, kidnapped and robbed. wow what a night. summer '79

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys all forgot about the Schaefer Poultry farm. Just south of Grove on Schaefer. Quite a place to watch chickens get butchered before you very eyes. must have been an old farm ,as the people who ran it were all very old too. This is back in the 50's. I remember the door had a neat system of using a few pulleys along with a rope and some weights to close it. You picked a chicken from a cage and then they went through the process of slitting its throat ,bleeding it, dipping it in scalding water, then plucking the feathers with a big rotary brush. Then dressing it out and cutting it up or leaving it whole. Wrapped it in newspapers and twine. Place stunk like hell from the dead chickens . I think it was painted a dark green on the outside.
Used to also be a Westen Auto across from the Woolworths store. Also a big Wrigleys there,next to Cunninghams Drugs. At the corner used to be a Schettlers drug store with a great soda fountain. Down at Hartwell and 6 was the Schwinn Bike store and Paint. called Dixon and Kyro. Little Sanders bakery store across from it. Kiddieland toys and furniture. Winklemans. Shoe store with one of those x-ray machines you could see your feet bones in your shoes.
At Stansbury , like you said ,was a drive-in restaurant that had quit serving outside by the late 50's. A little further west on 6 mile was The Bottle & Cork beer and wine store. Across from that was a Drugstore on the corner. Don't remember the name. Had a great magazine rack in it and a soda fountain. A little East was a Hardware store on the South side of 6 Mile.
At the corner of 6 Mile and Tracy was a car dealership. At one time it was a Kaiser-Fraser dealer and then it was a Studebaker dealer. Across 6 mile from that was Margolis Furniture, where they were "always sharpening their pencils for good deals".
My Grandmother lived on Lesure and it was the emergency entrance street for Mt carmel Hospital. The private and city ambulances and fire rescue trucks were coming down that road all the time ,night and day. It sure was a busy emergency room at one time.
And of course was the Mercury theater, where it was one of the first theaters with slide back seating, so that you didn't have to get up when another person wanted to get past you in your row. You merley pushed back on the seat and it moved back. Neat place.
Further down South from the Chicken farm was Krause brothers Chrysler Plymouth, at Puritan

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid, went to the Mercury with my Mom and I think a couple other relatives, sometime during the 60's. I don't remember what the movie was but I won a free pass to the Mercury. They were giving away free passes if your ticket numbers matched. The numbers on my admission ticket matched the ones they had on a sign once you came inside the theatre. Not a life long pass, just one for a free admission. I can't remember if it was ever redeemed but I was so excited that I'd won.

Ditman

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm getting a little confused even though I grew up in the area(Fenkell btwn Meyers &Schaeffer). In reference to Jgavrile's post about the Chrysler dealership. I remember Bill Snethkamp, Rollie Barrett & Krause. I Know my dad bought a 55 Chrysler Windsor deluxe & I'm pretty sure it was from the Puritan&Schaeffer dealership.Would that have been Krause or Snethkamp? Also anyone remember a shrimp/fish takeout only place at Meyers&Schaeffer called the Cape Codder? Pretty good shimp as I recall.

Ditman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

correction-I think Cape Codder was at Puritan&Meyers. I know, Meyers&Schaeffer run parallel.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ditman, that was Krause Bros. They were pretty small. My uncle also got a 55 Chrysler from them, only it was a 4dr New yorker deluxe. Nice car ,with a Hemi.
Mercury Fish & Chips was on Schaefer ,North of 6 mile ,across from Mt. Carmel hospital. Really good fish and chips.There wasa little nursery just North of that on Schaefer. Can't remember the name?? Due to the theater, quite a few business's around there had the name of Mercury.
There used to be a great hobby shop/camera shop East of Schaefer,down maybe 3 or 4 blocks, toward James Cousens. I think it was called Ideal Camera. Pretty neat place. The guy who owned it always smoked a pipe.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to the vacant pit where L mart was is a outlet for Dickie's and Carhartt and assorted urban clothes. They were closed up for awhile after the fire but reopened.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there was a Benz dealership at the corner of Puritian and Schaefer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.