Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Parducci Question Number 23 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1926 SH&G employed CP to decorate the George Harrison Phelps (no relationship, as far as I can tell to George Harrison Beatle, but you never know) building at 2761 E. Jefferson. CP created one of his more memorable pieces, "the Crier" to acknowledges Phelps prowess as an advertising executive. Everyone knows this. Here is the question. Right next door is a big blond brick building with three fascinating figures featured at the skyline. What is that building? Who did it? When? Why? etc. Was it a part of the Phelps commission or just happened to be right next door? One figure (see image) appears to be operating a printing press, so was this Phelps print shop? Any insights, ideas, theories, postulates, conjectures, views, opinions are welcome.

Well, almost any. eeeeeeeeeeeeek
one of three figures

(Message edited by carptrash on January 13, 2008)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is The Jefferson Building. That's all I know. I'm away from my resources, but I'll look for more information this evening.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not leaving my chair 'till then. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEking loudly all the while.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7430
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Detroit headquarters of Ross Roy Advertising Agency.

Currently filled with Wayne State Psychiatry offices and treatment center.

Mikem

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Press Building - 2751 E Jefferson

Well, it was the Jefferson Building at one time, but before that, it was called the Detroit Press Building. Maybe someone is confusing this with the Free Press building?

Occupants in 1935:

United Chromium
Ster-L Way Inc, toilet preparation mfrs
P-X Products, chemists

Carptrash

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, you ROCK. That's the one. I have that building as being "Detroit Press Building G. D. Mason Detroit 1929 1488 [2751] East Jefferson" but I could not get the addresses to jive with the Phelps Building. So, what are the correct addresses? Life is sweet and I owe you (again).

I was going to offer Mouser this for his work on the Fisher and I'll send you a copy, if you are interested. eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

fisher essay

Mikem

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The correct address is 2751. There also was a 2759 tucked between it and the Phelps building. I assume the right side of the Press building had a set of doors similar to the ones on the left, and that it was numbered 2759. The occupant was Aaron Adissian, rugs. Persian carpet dealer?

Thanks for offering the essay. Will you be sending it email or the old fashioned way?

Carptrash

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can send it either way. Though at this point I have neither in hand, so send me your choice to eeklon at yahoo dot commercial. eeek

What do you have as an address for the Phelps Bldg? I have 2761. eeek eeek

(Message edited by carptrash on January 13, 2008)

Mikem

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is 2761.

I recently found these photos of the Phelps Building taken by my brother, an aspiring architect, sometime in the mid-1960s (before Jos Campau was closed off). He can't remember why.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great set - and no doubt about the address now. The corner figure of the Crier and the carved capitols in the arch can all be seen. eeeek

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.