Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Federal Department Store « Previous Next »
Archive through February 11, 2008Skulmaty30 02-11-08  11:36 am
Archive through February 11, 2008Hornwrecker30 02-11-08  9:20 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Federals on Conner and Warren was originaly a Sam's Department Store.
Downtowntom -
I lived on Linwood behind Federals, where did your parents live?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How large was the chain? (both in number of stores and geographically). I know the JCPenney i work at (well, used to work at, until i got transferred to our new store) in Courtland Center in Burton, near Flint, was originally a Federal's, but i was too young at the time of its closing to remember it now. I'm always interested in history, however, particularly things like this, and even more so when I have a personal connection to it (working in retail, in this case). So although I have no memories myself, I appreciate those who have shared theirs...

A few other things I've wondered... What store today would be most comparable to Federals so far as price of merchandise? What lines did they carry? What were the insides of the stores like - fancy, bare-bones, or somewhere in between? When did the company first go into business?

On a side note, we're moving down the mall into a store that was originally 'The Fair'. I do remember shopping there, until they closed in the 80's (I believe, maybe it was early 90's) Not wanting to change the subject, but it's also a store I'd be interested in knowing more about, should anyone else remember it...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine Mile and Woodward, Ferndale

wsu/vmc

Just zero blocks north - of THE Nine Mile Road,... in Ferndale.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on February 11, 2008)

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker/ Thank you for the photos. The photo of the Hamtramack's Federal store's neon sign is incredible. Thanks again.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Ferndale I grew up in. Thank you, Hornwrecker......

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone know who designed these terrific looking buildings?

charles n. agree designed most (if not all) the federal's department stores. he also designed the beverly theatre (in the foreground of hornwrecker's photo), the hollywood theatre (razed), harpo's theatre, the vanity ballroom, the grande ballroom, the belcrest (in wayne state area), the whittier, and did the interior/exterior renovation of cliff bell's (which has just underwent a wonderful restoration). he had his offices in the book tower until the seventies (i think) then moved out to west bloomfield to work on his last big commission: the jewish community center.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3869
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the closest to compare would be Kohl's. Only there was service at Federals.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Federal's on Southfield Rd. between 12 and 13 Mile Roads. When it went out of business, the store became a Sears. Then the strip mall remodeled, and the space became a Farmer Jack. Don't know if it still survives as a grocery store.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand River Greenfield that pedestrian bridge/ hallway across Grand River was built even though Federal's was already near bankrupt.
The grant $ was already committed, so that 'bridge to nowhere was built anyways, sealed off on the Federal's side.
What a difference that bridge could have made when that shopping area was booming.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY Thoswolfe, I remember the big babushka ledy...LOL> I used to tease my sis that was gonna be her, LOL< thanks for the nice (for me ) memory..... we used to wonder how long her hair was.... she was a redford (moving) landmark....

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N7hn : Yep the big babushka lady was a Redford landmark! I thought Oldredfordette would have remembered, too. Any of us that hung around 7 Grand remember that lady! I think she was a cleaning lady that worked for the shopping center or one of the stores. Wow that knot of hair under the babushka was bigger than her own head.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3884
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew her, but I'll be damned if I can remember her name. She lived behind the shopping center in a ramshackle old house. I'll call my sister tomorrow, she'll remember. She was a nice, if deeply bizarre, lady.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store on Gratiot, in Roseville or East Detroit, was the place for record-buying before Korvette's opened at 12 & Gratiot. My brother's copy of "Something New" by The Beatles (a bogus Capitol Records 33 RPM release) may still have the shrink-wrap with the Federal price tag affixed... $2.67, or thereabout.
Korvette's record dept. was a big improvement, though.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt Barbara say's that there was a fire at the Woolworth's on Michigan Ave. in the late 50's, and the Mgr. of the Federal's across the street offered the girl's jobs, since most lived in the neighborhood.

Detroitdecor27
Username: Detroitdecor27

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hornwrecker for the pics of the 7 -grand location! My family moved into the area of 7- grand back in the 80's. I remember my parents didn't want me walk up to 7-grand until I was in high school(my parents were very protective). Of course my friends and I would always walk up there when we told our parents we were going to the park. But when I lived in that area I the Federals had became a Big Lots. But now I think that the Big Lots has closed as well. But the outside of the building other than the name change looks exactly the same with the two tone stone. It's funny because it is hard for me to picture anything else in that space but Big Lots but I know everything changes so much. But pretty much everything in the 7-grand area stayed the same for like 20 years then just recently they have been changing things up in that area. Tearing down building putting up new ones. I guess I don't like change I miss my old buildings. But I guess it is good for the neighborhood.

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette: You're right, she did live on that street behind the plaza. As a kid, we were afraid of her, and maybe laughed at her. Shame, like you said she was a real nice lady after all. My sis worked at Kresge's dinette early 80's, knew her well.
Another sis worked at Federal's late 70's till she couldn't cash those paychecks from banks in the Bahamas anywhere.
And that 'babushka'lady was mentioned alot in R.U.H.S. 's Classmates forum, so lots of us remember her!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3901
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mardell. Her name was Mardell.

Your sister probably knew my mom, she worked there till the last sad day.

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That jogged the memory! Yes, Mardel was her name.
Amazing, that old Federal's still has the distinctive architecture, has not been altered much other than being 'sub divided', and most of the windows being bricked over.
It's since been a Foland's catalog store, Minnessota Fabrics, Big Lots(or was it Odd Lots). I haven't been by there in the last year. But Google street view does not show any store name on the building.
Small centers like 7 Grand (renamed Redford Oaks to attract tenants and shoppers?) haven't done too well after losing their anchor, and Federal's was the only major tenant/draw there.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to my sis about Mardel.... she said her friend was her niece. I guess he mom used to always hack off her hair as a kid and mardel swore never to cut it again. I remember that run down house too. My sis used to wait on her (at some job I never knew she had) and said she was a very cool lady

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Ave, Dearborn

wsu/vmc

Catch22
Username: Catch22

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Grand River & Greenfield store pretty well. In the latter days of the West era, they partitioned off a large chunk of the second floor and moved the main offices (I don't remember where from) into the space. I worked for Michigan Bell at the time and helped install their phones. Their off-shore paychecks were bouncing, but none the less all the office furnishings were first-rate.

Skulmaty
Username: Skulmaty

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Federals to add to the suburban list.
15 Mile and Gratiot in the Regional Shopping Center. It was down the line of stores from Montgomery Wards. Couple other long gone stores in Regional: Woolworth's, Winter's Deli and meats.
What's there now? Lowes, Jeepers, Star Theaters, etc.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta add another location: Taylortown Mall at Ecorse and Pardee in Taylor. Back in the day, that mall had a Woolworth's, Federal's and Grant's all in one mall. Of course this was before Southland was built on the other side of Taylor.

My memories of Federal's are three: that is where mom took me when it was time for new shoes; you could buy 10 cents worth of candy from the candy counter, the blue trucks with the white "Federal's" on the sides.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7136
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all know what happen to those buildings after it close in 1971.

Federal's stores in 1961:

HQ - 1200 McNichols E, Highland Park

Gone: Now a auto parts junk yard.

East Side -
Gratiot at 7 Mile Gone: Now a new E. 7 Mile and Gratiot plaza.
Maddelein at Hoyt Long Gone
Jos Campau at Yemans became Shopper's World; close last year.
Harper at Baldwin Long Gone

West Side -
Grand River at Greenfield became Kingsway Dept. Store closed in 1990; became Asian owned Mammoth's Mini Mall and Dept Store closed in 2005.
Grand River at Oakman Blvd. Became Kingsway Dept. Store closed in 1990; became Shoppers World Dept. Store closed in 2007.
7-Grand Center, Redford Long Gone:
Schaefer at McNichols W. Became a Depart of Social Sevices (a.k.a) WELFARE AND FOOD STAMP OFFICE closed in 1990; building is now vacant ever since.
Michigan at Schaefer, Dearborn Became several dept. stores; then R.J. Lead's Furniture Store closed in late 1990s; vacant until been brought By Arab owners now a Museum of Arab American History opened in 2002.

Michigan at 33rd long gone
Vernor Hwy W at Central: Now Dantos Furniture store

Suburban -
Southgate Center, Southgate become several dept. stores until it bought by Service Merchandise in the early 1990s; closed in 1998; building is torn down in 2006.
Eastgate Center, Roseville long gone
Wonderland Center, Livonia become several dept. stores until it been bought by Dunham's sports; move to another location replaced by Service Merchandise; closed in 1998 building left vacant until is been used by Halloween USA costume warehouse. Wonderland mall became a dead mall, demolished in 2006; rebuilt as Wonderland Plaza. An EVIL WAL-MART SUPERCENTER. It is a part of the revitilization in Downtown Livonia's Plymouth Corridor.
Shores Center, St Clair Shores: Became a mom and pop clothing and dept store.
8 Mile E at Dequindre, Hazel Park: become several dept stores; then a flea market; closed in early 2000; building is vacant. expected to be demolished for a proposed retail strip stores.
Woodward at 9 Mile, Ferndale: Parts of the building torn down, became several dept. stores; became Old Navy Clothier; closed in 2005; building is now vacant.
Biddle at Maple, Wyandotte: became a furniture store still in business.
Saginaw N at Warren, Pontiac became a mom and pop owned ceramic art store: still in business.

I have been to all of them and all of Federal's buildings either change, re-arrage and demolished.

Is there a another Federal's Dept. Store on E. Warren and Conner? Surely is used to be a Kingsway Dept. Store and then Shopper's World until it was closed in 2005.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the grand opening of the Southgate Shopping Center around 1958. Right in front of the Federal's store they were giving helicopter rides. My sister and I went up for a ride in an old Bell helicopter with the bubble front like on the old "Highway Patrol" series. Or the one on the opening of "MASH". Cool memories.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2751
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Danny. Thanks.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny -

The old Federal's store in downtown Wyandotte is now
the Wyandotte City Hall. The furniture store is next
door.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny.....

What did they tear down of the Ferndale Federal's besides part of the "tower" on the corner? It used to run from the alley a bit up 9 Mile around the corner to the Radio City.....

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the old Federal's in Hamtramck might be seeing the wrecking ball soon. Good old Hamtramck politics

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly, the Hamtown location is to be replaced with an Aldi's and apartments on the top 3 floors.

Lmr

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Federal's in downtown Wyandotte closed a while before the chain folded. It was one of the smaller Federal's stores and was closed during an overhaul of the downtown Wyandotte shopping area in the late 1960's during which a lot of buildings were torn down (some of them in bad shape) or fixed up. I think after the opening of the considerably larger Federal's in Southgate Shopping Center (which lpg stated correctly as about 1958) business went down at the Wyandotte location and it eventually closed. The building was vacant for a while before it became City Hall. I am not sure of the exact year the Wyandotte Federal's closed but I know for sure it's somewhat before 1972 and my guess would closer to 1967-68.

Here's a link to a current picture of the location, the trademark Federal's tower is still there:

http://www.wyandotte.net/gov/

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot Taylortown in Taylor.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grand River Federal's/Kingsway/Shoppers World is occupied by a church now, (can't think of the name) but I thought the Shopper's world was closed before 2007. Seems like the church has been there for more than a year but I could be mistaken.

Lmr

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Federal's store at Southgate Shopping Center became Service Merchandise long before the 1990's. I moved away from Michigan in January of
1984 and it had already been Service Merchandise for
several years.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny or Jjabba,
Can you verify whether or not there was a Federals at Plymouth near Evergreen? It became the Sears surplus back in the mid-70's. I have done a few web searches and come up with nothing.

I am just trying to verify some old memories.

Thanks

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there was a Federals in Monroe up until the mid 70's when it became a Penneys. I still have a baseball mitt with the Feds logo or font.

Stromberg2

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....Federals. We used to shop at the one on & & Gratiot and the one on Jos. Campau.
A few years ago when we bought our house, we were pulling up the carpet remnants that had covered the living room floor since maybe when it was built (???) and the owner had lined the floor with old newspapers and then put the carpet down. There was a reverse copy of a full page Federals' ad permanently inked onto the hardwood that all the chemicals could not erase. Before we refinished the floors, I would move the furniture and show people the ad. : )

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny, Citychick!

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal's used to give firefighters (and their families) a discount. I think it was 20%. I know my folks often did back-to-school shopping at the 7/Gratiot one because of that.

jan

Margjame
Username: Margjame

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 60's, the Federal Department store in Ferndale had a series of classes for young girls to teach them manners, dressing, etc. My daughter went to those classes. The last one was a fashion show and afterward each girl got to buy the dress she modeled. My daughter enjoyed the whole experience very much.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a child in the car headed east on 9 mile, it seemed that Federals sign at Woodward came out over the whole street. It dominated the landscape.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Federal's at 8 Mile & Dequindre on the Hazel Park side. It closed in 1962. The building is still standing and has not been occupied since. It was across the side street from "The 8 Mile Big Boy", a favorite haunt of mine while I was in high school. I saw the building yesterday and remarked to myself how it had never again been occupied....this was while I was driving to start my Metro Times route with a car full of "Just Go" cover pictures of Kwame. Don't think that I wasn't paranoid yesterday....and not because of the old Federal building.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The discount was 10% for cops and smoke-eaters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.