Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red Pelican Mustard « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard awhile ago that they might start making it again, anyone know anything about this? I really miss this stuff.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Cornillies sold Red Pelcan to Beatrice Foods years ago. A good friend of mine worked there for 25 years

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny how we miss certain food items. A couple months back I was wondering what happened to Mister Mustard. My dad would buy it when I was a kid. It was great on salami sandwiches. I looked everywhere for it. I asked around at some stores and they told me they never heard of it. I did find it at Farms Fresh Market on Fischer Rd in Grosse Pointe.

Downriviera

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to get Mister Mustard at Merchants Wine in Dearborn, but I haven't seen it there lately.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican was the only mustard in our house when I was a kid. My Mom always called it "Belgian mustard". Why? I don't know. I still can't stand that tasteless yellow stuff.

Pgn421

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because the owners were belgian!

Eastburn

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was because my mother was Belgian.

Pgn421

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably both! Mother knows best!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the westside. All my Dad's relations lived on the eastside, Belgians. He used to floor bowl at one of the eastside bars, Bill & Madeline's, every other week during the season. He'd bring back "Belgian mustard" and chocolate for us when he got home.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 248
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forgot the name of that mustard, used to buy that alot, i also miss Velvet Peanut Butter.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is starting to Morph. Dannyv, big Belgian bar on the East Side for feather bowling was and still is The Cadieux Cafe. The first house I bought in 82' was on Eastwood in Harper Woods. Hugh backyard complete with Pidgeon coop(sp?) Big Belgian neighborhood at one time.

Eastburn

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Belgian bar on the east side of Harper between 7 Mile & Cadieux that was torn down when the Ford Expressway was built. Might have been the original Green Oaks bar that was moved across the street. It was right near the "Comfort Station". (Anyone remember that?) Outside the bar was a large cylindrical cage sort of affair that folks shot arrows into. Targets were placed in it, then it was hoisted into the air & the shooting started. Going pretty far back in my memory here. Is this turning into a Belgian thread? If so, I guess it's my fault. Sorry for the hijack.

Pgn421

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Guilford Bar, had an indoor archery range in it,the William Tell Archery Club shot,out of that location. Harper and Guilford. the bar is still there. The archery range,closed a few years back

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn.........your mom wasn't Belgium......she like I was a Buffalo! (Van De Wyngaerde)

Eastburn

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right, 7K. She was born & raised in Deinze in Flanders & always referred to herself as a Buffalo. The funny thing was, I never thought she had an accent. I have some tapes of her & when I listen to them now I'm amazed at the accent I never heard as a kid.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any one know how Belgians came to be called buffaloes?

I grew up on the westside. Whenever we went to visit my Dad's relations, Belgians, on the eastside my Mom would say we're going to see the buffaloes. In elementary school one day, my teacher was asking what ethnic groups were represented in our class. After all the major ethnic groups were covered, I volunteered that I was part buffalo. The class got a good laugh out of it. Someone said, yeah, and they were part dog and part squirrel. I couldn't answer for them but I thought a buffalo was a grand animal and I was proud to be, at least, part buffalo. My Mom set me straight when I got home from school that day. Just goes to show how kids take things so literally.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mothers side was Flemish. Belgian mustard was what we called it too. At Sunday dinner, there was always Verdonct's bread, sliced ham, blood sausage, hooftdvlaake from Adolph DeLue's butcher shop, Belgian mustard, vegetables, leek soup in winter, and Strohs beer.

Pgn, was that the same Cornillie family that owned the coal and fuel oil business? One of their trucks would carry the caged buffalo past Balduck Park on Warren in the annual Belgian parade. Balduck was also the home field of the Soccer Club Belgica.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i,ve been buying Woebers mustard at the dollar stores when i see it, its made in Ohio,but it still taste good.

Pgn421

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub- Yes, one brother ran the coal and fuel business, the other ran the mustard business on St.Jean

Eastburn

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv - I've always heard that the early immigrants from Belgium first settled in Buffalo, NY before moving on to Detroit (which has/had the largest population of Belgians in the US). Hence the name "Buffalo".
Continuing on the Belgian hijack, how about the wonderful pork sausage & blood sausage from Blancke (sp?)& Enoch on Harper? I'd kill for some of that this Sunday morning. Not until after Mass, though.

Oladub

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pgn.
Eastburn, Embo's?

I once asked about Red Pelican on a visit to the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum. The employee I spoke with was aware of it and said it was a Dijon mustard. The Mustard Museum sells over 500 kinds of mustard but Red Pelican is not on its list.

http://www.mustardmuseum.com/
Go to link listing mustards for sale.
Dijons are listed under American mustards.

Pgn421

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the hot mustards. the ones that clear your head. sinus! you know what i mean? lke wasabi!

Eastburn

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom shopped at Embo's, too but the meat always came from B & E other than poultry - Vergote's.

Pgn421

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about Hamels meats n E.Warren? they smoked their meats, the hunters sausage and jerky,was the best

Oladub

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, Of course the chicken was from Vergote's. Who knows who touched the chicken at the grocery store? Why pay someone else to pull all the feathers? Sawdust floors, cages stacked high with live fowl, "that one", grab by legs, take to back room and walk out of sight, put beheaded birk in drum until it stops flapping, wrap in newspaper, go home, broast, eat. Was that how it was?

Eastburn

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First you had to cut up the bird & hold the pieces over the flame on the gas stove to singe off any feathers that were left. The smell of burning feathers will be with me forever.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon me. Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's funny how we miss certain food items. A couple months back I was wondering what happened to Mister Mustard. My dad would buy it when I was a kid. It was great on salami sandwiches. I looked everywhere for it. I asked around at some stores and they told me they never heard of it. I did find it at Farms Fresh Market on Fischer Rd in Grosse Pointe.

They also have it at Srodek's in Hamtramck.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the mustard! I bought a jar of hot mustard from Dearborn Sausage. It is sold in the same style jar that the old Red Pelican used to come in. I figured they must have bought the recipe because it is a local company as well. It was very good.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk - you're right about the mustard. Dearborn Sausage bought Red Pelican and re-branded the mustards with the Dearborn name. So, yes, we still have a locally made mustard and as far as I know, the recipes are the same as RP.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The buffalos got their nickname, and I heard this from a Belgian,
In the day of the buffalo nickel, the Belgians held on to them so tightly that it left the imprint on the palms of their hands. hence, buffalo's.
Though I think the true story is Buffalo NY.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4466
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the old Red Pelican logo. Mustard is mustard.

Oladub

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pelican logo has Red Wings on either side of the Pelican.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st. yimg.com/I/puredetroit_1936_38 92489

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican was served at old Tiger Stadium. Couldn't beat it on a Ball Park frank on opening day! Red Pelican on a sandwich made with Hoffman's brand hard salami is a tough one to beat too!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, another buffalo here (DeMayer)was on metchens side. Grandmother. Try Koops Holland Extra Strong mustard available at Krogers. It's just like Red Pelican was. The dearborn may have the same recipe but it's just not the same as RP. Maybe because they don't use the machines that made RP for 80 years.
Embos was the best along with Blanckes and Holland American bakery which was at E. Warren and Maryland down the block from VanMaeles bar.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican will always be synonymous in my heart with Tiger Stadium (sniff).

Norwalk

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call on the Hoffmans Salami Ongo! Have you ever had Oldani's salami? It's very good as well

Downriviera

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk,

Is the mustard you bought at Dearborn Sausage branded with the Dearborn name on the label? Was it a glass jar?

Norwalk

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plastic jar w/plastic lid with the Dearborn blue/orange label.I bought it at Gratiot Central Market

Downriviera

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thx, just picked some up at Dearborn Sausage, can't wait to try it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.