Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Arcade Bar is closed « Previous Next »
Archive through June 16, 2008Krawlspace30 06-16-08  8:34 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4150
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Office space upstairs. Not apartments. It's vacant and cluttered up there from what I've heard.

I also hear that the owner of the Arcade may reopen. No specific timetable, though.

The Arcade is a very cool bar... one of the last remnants of old Detroit.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there an overall bar decline downtown? You'd think they'd do better in a worse economy (bars normally do).

As to the Arcade, there isn't great parking - although close to some things, it's not in a very visible spot and it's next to an abandoned hulk.

Not very attractive to those folks who don't know the area.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When business isn't good, shutting down is understandable, but that being said, how much could rent really be at that spot? And for that matter, was business "booming" before just recently? Furthermore, I would think that considering the present circumstances, the building owner would do everything in his or her power to keep tenants happy as lessees.

I have no idea what I'm talking about with regard to the arcade bar and luckily it seems as if many of you do, but as a final note, it seems unbelievable that someone could have been supporting themselves with the income from that bar. I can't imagine it brought in that much revenue.

Is there a background story to this bar, the owners, the present situation and future plans?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i was a teen and we went to Lafayette to get coneys, thought that place had a bunch of video games, my dad took me in there to set me straight, 'this is a bar not an arcade'. I noticed it was closed 2 sundays ago during the big storm.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never had a problem finding parking when visiting that area. With the Lafayette building vacant, there is tons of parking right along the Lafayette side or Michigan side of the building. Maybe that is changing though.

Are you sure they went bankrupt, and didn't just close because of the worry of a CBD smoking ban? :-) (Sorry, just trying to keep it light hearted and positive)

All kidding aside, the bar and restaurant industry is one of the few industries doing pretty good in Detroit when compared to the current area populations, and overall economy. However, that also means that their is less room for mistakes, as I'm guessing it can get a little competitive.

Why so many people continue to set up shop in such competitive areas while they could locate a couple miles out with no competition is beyond me. If they are worried about other issues, there is also the option of changing industry. I just don't understand why people are STILL so eager to invest more in these type of operations, and why building owners still try to cater to them over retail. What am I missing?

The Arcade, of course is not one of those places. This is very disappointing.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 17, 2008)

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All kidding aside, the bar and restaurant industry is one of the few industries doing pretty good in Detroit when compared to the current area populations, and overall economy. However, that also means that their is less room for mistakes, as I'm guessing it can get a little competitive.

Why so many people continue to set up shop in such competitive areas while they could locate a couple miles out with no competition is beyond me. If they are worried about other issues, there is also the option of changing industry. I just don't understand why people are STILL so eager to invest more in these type of operations, and why building owners still try to cater to them over retail. What am I missing?

The Arcade, of course is not one of those places. This is very disappointing.

what in the hell are you talking about?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drank there a few times when I worked at OLDE Discount Stockbrokers across the street.

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAX and S 0f D- I don't want to sound annoying, but you two seem to know a lot about Detroit businesses. I would like to know who you are and why people are telling you all their secrets. Why do you guys know which businesses are doing well and which are failing when everyone else is left in the dark? Your deeply insightful and prescient comments are all to common on this site. It seems patently unfair and suspicious. I demand to know all that you know and I want to know it now.

This board shares everything. How can we help Detroit rise if we don't know where to direct our efforts.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get all my info from Sean, and then pass it off as my own. I have no idea how he does it. Lot's of reading? I'm sure workpapers, briefcases, and hours of file reviews are involved. Pretty heady stuff.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rax" is Kwame's online user name.

;-)

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your honesty Spacemonkey. That is beginning to make sense. These two don't take community effort seriously. They feel empowered by heir control of knowledge. You probably live in the suburbs.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some fun times when I went with my friends to the Arcade bar. This past weekend I noticed they where closed on Saturday and the lights were on inside. Guess I am going to have to find another watering hole.

Tunnelman
Username: Tunnelman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Tiger Game last night,and my usual stops before the game always included a stop at Walter's for an American Lottery Ticket, then, Lafayette Coney Island and the Arcade Bar to wash the hotdogs down with a cold Bud Lite. Are there any up-dates as to if/when the place is going to reopen? I remember the little lady Diane working behind the bar. I hope that she is doing okay! I will be going to a few more Tiger games this season, and would hope that I will be able to continue my tradition. Please post if you have any info... TM

PS: I have attached a picture from my parking space while at a Red Wings game this winter.
My usual stops

Tunnelman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to the Tiger game tonight. Does anyone know if the Arcade has re-opened yet?

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the pic, Tunnelman!
Now I see what Melody was talking about...Bar Bar!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It alway reminded me of the type of bar in the Barfly movie. I never went in.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 948
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I "know" things is not always "knowing" but rather observing. Whenever I go into a business, no matter what it is, I am always looking at things. I always try to see what works and what doesn't. To add to that, I do the same thing with Detroit in general. Whether it was/is looking out my apartment window and noticing traffic patterns, or taking note of what roads are closed during certain events.

I just pay attention. So, it's often educated guesses. Unfortunately, I still have a lot to learn, and I'm still very new to the game. So, it is not uncommon for me to be wrong too.

Anyway, about my above comment/post, I know some things (but maybe not as much as I think) about this industry. Not just because I want to open a cafe myself, but also because I have worked just about every type of restaurant or bar position one could have. I have also worked at many, many area restaurants. Simply knowing basic demographic information about our CBD, and then also looking at guest counts and daily sales, it really seems to me that the food and beverage industry is doing well in the CBD. The problems come in the form of competition. It goes back to what I said in the Urban Bean Co. thread. Many first time business owners with little experience are being attracted to Detroit in general right now. They are being attracted because the area is under served. The problem is that they all to often aren't prepared for the fact that they aren't always as experienced as competition that follows them shortly into their venture.

Plus, many are still opening bars and restaurants without looking into other options (or so it seems to me). I want to open a cafe in Detroit, but the money and demand is not there. It goes back to what Blondy (I think) posted awhile back. It was something to the tune of people wanting to open a club, bar, or restaurant because of the prestige and attention/fame it brings. She said the real money may be elsewhere, in the often less prestigious industries (such as my people and I opening "All Electric". Much greater chance of success there than starting with a bar or restaurant).

This is a bigger issue outside of Detroit in surrounding areas. That really is another topic though.

I think the Arcade will be in a good location. You have the Coneys there, but L.C.I. serves alcohol, which means it is sort of a competitor. Besides that, what is the draw? Arcade is not a destination. Most people in the CBD actually have to walk past other bars on the way to Arcade. However, fast forward to next year and beyond, and you see things changing in that area.

I have absolutely no idea why The Arcade Bar closed. I am hoping it is in fact temporary.

I really don't know...

... and Rax, I'm sure, has better sources than me. Detroit is like a small town. You guys probably know all the same people that both he and I do.

Edited for length.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 28, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 949
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other thing. I never realised how attractive that building actually is... I mean could be.

I just could see those making good apartment space. Anyone know what it is used for?

Also, do the Coney buildings have a second story? I never really noticed how tall they are, until now.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tunnelman, do you know Trainman? Something very Freudian about you two getting together.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner wanted to convert the upper floors to loft spaces. I offered to rent one but the City had given him such a hassle he said screw it and he rather keep them boarded up. He has been talking about closing the place for a while. He mentioned it to a friend and I 9+ months plus ago. He was very frustrated with the City. It was a shame. I liked going there when I lived in Capitol Park.

Moved to Cass Park and started hanging out at the Temple. Free wifi and $.75 Milwaukee's Best. Now I am in Oakland, CA. There are jobs here and they don't know what ghetto is. Oakland is nice. Plus I want to goto UC Berkeley.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do any old timers know the arcade bar as the "rail" bar back in the day?

Tunnelman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean of the "D", you mentioned that you didn't know if the Coney Islands had a second floor. Here's another picture to answer your question.

Hey Anniedawg, your welcome!

I heard that the Arcade may be opening again. I ran into a couple of the locals who seemed to know a little about the current status. Let's hope they had received their info from a reliable source.
Ariel View

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9192
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For about $100k, it will be yours!

Tunnelman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had an extra $100,000.00, I sure wouldn't want to buy this bar. The owners of the building are impossible to work with, and will only approve a two year lease. How can you invest a couple hundred thousand to get the place off the ground and make it profitable in two years? It is impossible. Screw the building owners.... They want to make the profit if the place would be remodeled by someone else.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, in the pic above, what's in the white windowless building at the apex of the triangle?

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Coney Island.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of American Coney Island before they expanded into the triangular building next door?

Tunnelman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have any pictures... It used to be a United Shirt.

I heard that the Arcade had a day in court yesterday, but, the case was adjourned until July 28th. It may be a long time before we find out the Bar's future.

Tunnelman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the Arcade had their day in court yesterday. They made a request to change the Chapter #7 filing to a Chapter #11, but, they were turned down and the Bar was turned over to the Trustee. All assets will be liquidated. The only chance for it to open as the Arcade would be if the original owner(s) won the bid for the liquor license. If I hear anything regarding the future of the space, I will be back at you all. It is too bad that this had to happen. The owner did try to sell the place, and had a buyer. But the building owners wouldn't go past a two year lease.
I'm Otta Here........

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, too bad. I really liked that old place. I was a regular at lunchtime; the owners were friendly, the food was good, and drinks were cheap... well, maybe too cheap...

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering what may be coming in two years, you can't blame the owners. If Quicken does take the Lafayette Building and do something with it, the Arcade space will be much more valuable.

It's too bad the apartment deal fell through on the Lafayette though. That would have been nice.

Tunnelman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Gencinjay, if Quicken fills the Lafayette building next door, the bar could be somewhat profitable. One of the problems is that the owners will only give a two year lease. I don't know of anyone that would want to invest a couple of hundred grand into a place when they would only have control over it for two years. The Bar itself needs quite a bit of work to clean it up. Especially in the basement and bathroom areas. The reason that they will only give a two year lease is because they know that the location will be able to make lots of dough with the opening of the Book Cadillac and the Fort Pick Hotels. I still think that the former owners may be able to get back into it because they are related to the building landlords.

Tunnelman

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone out there knows Cynthia who cooked at the Arcade, she is now working at the American Coney Island.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.