Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through October 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Lifted??? You mean she was dropping when last you sighted?? Well...he does turn foxes into foxes!!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I remember a time when Tom T (Sharon's Bro) and I were a M Milich's house with SH.....and what was sighted......was.......

Goblue

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ah, the memories!! On the other hand...seen two, ya seen 'em all!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I figure (No pun intended) the more the merrier.......Did you say Memories or Mammary???????? Back to the boy scouts....706 or 309?????? How come you never mention Marla B......???? Was there a prom date merit badge????? And get off this YOU need points.....
Dream on.....remember you are the "viktors".....I think right now out of LV the odds are MSU + 28.........

Goblue

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: 706 at St. James Presbyterian...Scouts and Explorers. I don't remember Marla...I just checked the '58 and '59 books...not there. Must have been older...didn't dig the oldies until I learned later that oldies & goodies are one and the same.

M is struggling...this is not our year...strictly for rebuilding...11 points!!

BTW...you been holdin' out on me...you had to have known that BB is also a Woverine...med school...just learned that this morning. SH, BB...the list is growing.

Goblue

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Late breaking news!! I have just discovered an address for older sis...in Florida. Its 20 years old...but a start. Whadaya think...worth a call?? How bad do you want to know where younger sis is located??? Its gotta be worth 11 points!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - What if she faints when she hears your voice......???? I think we should start a business of finding lost Eastsiders......It could be a chapter in the book! Oh! Repeat after me..." Dr E gets the points and Dr T buys the drinks"...one more time!

Goblue

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Great idea for a business...although I think Classmates is trying to do the same.

Geez...you drive a hard bargain....all right 10 points...but that's it...no lower!!

(Message edited by GoBlue on October 04, 2007)

Eastside61

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I now remember screening you into special education as an individual with TBI.......and one who mumbled incessantly " I get the points"....Your IEP never met its goals.....

Goblue

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I get the points! Ten of 'em!

Eastside61

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You are totally TBI and need speech....No NO....The Spartans get the points....It is spelled out in the BO Book that has become the bible of the banana heads......Just calm down.....and I will be announcing the points ON NOV 1st......that the little weak non-tradition spartans will need.....ha ha.....

Goblue

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I get the points! Ten of 'em!

Eastside61

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GET ready for several announcements on NOV 1st.......Spartans v. uofm point spread, Sally J's new photo and e mail address, 16mm film recovered from Fox Studios (X-rated) and a black and white print of GT entering Alpha's with SH next to him...wow!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for the Denby Folk: Was Denby the team that played Dearborn-Divine Child in the final Goodfellows Game?

Goblue

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Sadly so! '65, '66 and '67...all the same!! The history follows.

The '58 game stands out in my mind...a buddy of mine played Safety for Denby...Redford was leading late in the game...my buddy cuts in front of a receiver and intercepts a pass in the flat...clear field in front of him for a sure touchdown...he slipped on a wet field and fell down without being touched...Redford wins and goes to the Goodfellows Game. We lost touch over the years but I'll bet he still remembers that one!

1938 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Catholic Central 19, Hamtramck 13
1939 -- Goodfellows - U-D High Detroit 20, Catholic Central 0
1940 -- Goodfellows - Detroit St. Theresa of Avila 6, Detroit Cooley 6
1941 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Cooley 47, Detroit St. Theresa of Avila 6
1942 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Catholic Central 46, Hamtramck 0
1943 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Catholic Central 8, Detroit Cooley 0
1944 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Mackenzie 3, Detroit Holy Redeemer 0
1945 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Catholic Central 19, Detroit Denby 19
1946 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Cooley 21, Detroit St. Anthony 13
1947 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Denby 14, St. Mary of Redford 0
1948 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Denby 28, St. Mary of Redford 0
1949 -- Goodfellows - Detroit St. Anthony 19, U-D High 13
1950 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Redford 7, Detroit St. Gregory 6
1951 -- Goodfellows - St. Mary of Redford 23, Detroit Western 6
1952 -- Goodfellows - St. Mary of Redford 13, U-D High 6
1953 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Pershing 21, River Rouge Lady-Lourdes 7
1954 -- Goodfellows - U-D High 23, St. Mary of Redford 20
1955 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Pershing 13, St. Mary of Redford 7
1956 -- Goodfellows - Detroit De La Salle 26, Detroit Denby 20
1957 -- Goodfellows - St. Mary of Redford 25, Detroit Southeastern 6
1958 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Redford 27, St. Mary of Redford 7
1959 -- Goodfellows - Grosse Pointe St. Ambrose 13, Detroit Cooley 7
1960 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Denby 21, Detroit Catholic Central 18
1961 -- Goodfellows - Grosse Pointe St. Ambrose 20, Detroit Pershing 0
1962 -- Goodfellows - Grosse Pointe St. Ambrose 19, Detroit Cooley 0
1963 -- Goodfellows - Detroit Denby 7, Harper Woods Notre Dame 0
1964 -- Goodfellows - Grosse Pointe St. Ambrose 20, Detroit S'eastern 0
1965 -- Goodfellows - Harper Woods Notre Dame 14, Detroit Denby 14
1966 -- Goodfellows - Grosse Pointe St. Ambrose 33, Detroit Denby 19
1967 --Goodfellows - Dearborn Divine Child 14, Detroit Denby 7

Chuckjav

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Goblue.....Wow, being a westsider, I always knew about high school football powerhouses Cooley & Redford (nice to see my Stags won all the marbles in '44) - - but dang - - Denby was All-World

Goblue

Post Number: 435
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Yeah, over the years Denby played pretty top level football...during the years I was there...'55-'59...there was a head coach named Ed Rutherford...little guy but tough as nails...he lived on the same street as ES61...he went on to be an assistant coach at MSU...don't know if he ever became a head college coach anywhere...ES's dad was a high school league referee as well as a school administrator so ES probably knows a lot more. Rutherford was a hell of a coach but it didn't hurt that he had a guy like Ed Budde (MSU and Kansas City Chiefs) on his squad...Ed was a classmate of mine.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue....Cool - I remember Ed Rutherford, a familiar name in MSU Athletics; pretty sure that at one time he coached the MSU Soccer Team too.

Goblue

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Interesting that Rutherford would have coached Soccer as well. He ended my football career when as a freshman about 5'6" weighing maybe 110 lbs. he assigned me to hold the blocking dummy for Ed Budde who was probably 6' and weighed at least 180...he looked like a freight train coming at me...decided that was bullshit and switched to Denby golf and hockey in the recreation leagues...where I could make up for lack of size with a long stick!.by the time I was a senior I was 6' and weighed 160...pretty normal for hockey players in those days...football was not my game! ES will weigh in one of these days...his game was tennis...you know what those guys were like...he made up for it by chasing every TAR who wore a skirt...he only caught a few though...most notably SH!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue...Roger-that & 10-4.

The only opportunity I had to enter a football game for Mackenzie was in the role of place-kicker...I was a very thin dude.

I did attend one semester at Cass Tech; had the opportunity to watch Denby take our swimming team apart....hats off to the Tars - always a top-notch athletic program. I even got to meet Olympian Shelia Young, in 1976...shouted "Go Denby" during her downtown celebration.

Let's see....who else; another Denby Tar and good friend of mine at Western Michigan University was Larry Claxton - a WMU Bronco track teammate and class-act all the way.

Also.......my sister and husband live on Eastwood - less than a mile from Denby.

PS Right-On...reliable sources tell me that Mr. Ed Budde was one of the best football players in DPSSAL history!

Goblue

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Small world!! Your sister lives on Eastwood...I lived on Fordham...a little over a block east of Chalmers...ES61 lived on Eastwood in his diaper days...then his dad moved them to Mapleridge where ES became head of the Mob...interesting too your friend at WMU...I'm WMU '63...GoBlue is from grad school...ES61 is a Greenie but even so he's a decent guy for a shrink...although he's a bit of a cheap ass refusing to give up points for the M-MSU game...I would agree that Ed Budde was one of the best to ever come out of the city in terms of football...he had an arm full of stripes on his letter sweater from gold for Denby to I think red for All American High School...all I can tell you is that the mf looked like a damn freight train running straight at me...once they revived me I threw the damn helmet aside and left the field...I much preferred being on ice and having a stick in my hand...even if we did play in the pre-helmet days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck/ GB- Denby was the powerhouse that GB has described. Pershing once in a while would surface to challenge the TARS. Eddie R did live on Mapleridge and I did live on Eastwood until 8th grade when we moved. Eddie R had about 25 children and did take advantage of the MSU stint. His brother Doug Rutherford was the football coach at Osborn HS which made for interesting football games when the two school met each other.

My father did referee many of those Goodfellows games that GB listed....It was a big honor to be selected to officiate the game...
GB was a "DAC" (Denby Athletic Club) in HS especially on Friday's when he would wear his letter sweater with all this ninth grader women hanging all over him...there was one named SH who discovered Ballduck park as part of GB's outreach and exploration program.

Since GB was a Parks/Rec Hockey rat and a TAR golfer he certainly knew how to stick handle and have his "balls" washed.

GB did grow up on Fordham but with all of his faults, especially when it comes to point spreads, he is truly an EASTSIDER....and I think that one of the Gold Stripes on his letter sweater had to do with some incident on Parkgrove and Salter....I am sure he will come clean some time about this ......

Goblue

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Obviously one can believe very little from a TAR turned San Francisco Californian...not exactly a locale noted for mental stability! ES continues to confused the fact that I took a freshman to the senior prom...while he spent his ENTIRE senior year in the back seat of his father's car with SH...small wonder that he became a Greenie after she tossed his ass overboard...geeez...these multi-striped letter sweater tennis guys...I'm certain that SH spent more than a few Friday's wearing ES's letter sweater...which he very likely exchanged for "favors"!

Goblue

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The word I have is that SH will be there...not too late to get a plane ticket...I wouldn't wear your Greenie uniform though if I were you!!

http://alumni.umich.edu/videom essage/index.php

Eastside61

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB/Chuck- This fact has been triple checked - A former WMU bronco took his blue/gold DHS - Tars letter sweater and unstitched the whole thing in order to take the gold thread and he was able to weave a pair of knee length socks that he wore to football games in the late 60's and various alumni functions.

Goblue

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: The latest word is that ES61 has purchased a first class ticket to Ann Arbor in his unrelenting search for SH. The truth is that she booted his ass years ago and joined a nunnery. Its not likely that he'll be able to get in the habit!

Eastside61

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - It can also be proven true that the leader of the Celestine Boys did actually date a woman who wore a Habit and worked at St Judes....THose guys were really F...Ked up but provided the student body for the whole special education program while they attended Denby....Does anybody remember is name??? Not Wally? I do remember that he was injured at a Denby football practice....what was is name...and real gangster wannabe....

Goblue

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Another urban myth perpetuated by the leader of the Mapleridge Mob in order to cover his habits.

Goblue

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: My Mex working partner-buddy...who is also a Greenie...urged me in the strongest manner to not take advantage of the down and out this coming Saturday...therefore...my last best offer is 3 points!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb - You have been out of the country for to long.....I will be sending to you how many points MSU gets late Friday or Early Sat before kick off......