Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Sports Talk Radio Ratings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A thread already exists on this but i could not find it.

Ratings Scale 1-10

Stoney and Wojo - 1
These clowns need to be replaced... It can't get worse. They spend about 8 minutes an hour talking sports and 42 minutes talking about what they think is interesting.

Parker and the Man - 8/9
Did not like at first but it has grown on me. Rob Parker and Mark ? are pretty insightful and stay on topic. They are Piston heavy but hit on all sports. Very enjoyable show.

Velenti and Foster - 8/9
This show has also grown on me... Velenti has a great sense of humor and their sports talk is pretty good.

Jamie Samuelson -5/6
He wants to be Andrew Siciliano... 2 maybe 3 days out of 5 are decent.

Sean Beliigian (sp) - 7/8
He has some decent stuff... Good sports takes... He is really good with hockey.

Rome - 8/9
Good at first but gets old after a while.

What are your thoughts?

Stony and Wojo have to go!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7943
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Stoney & Wojo are THAT bad. I think that part of the reason we've grown slightly disillusioned with them as of late is that they've been around forever. We've heard all the bits and the old bits siren probably goes on more often than not. At first they were the kings but the bit's have grown tired. I still appreciate Stoney's knowledge though.

Rob Parker has never done a thing for me. Off beat predictions and his credibility has never been good. Mark Wilson who?

Now Valenti & Foster are somewhat interesting. I've always liked Terry Foster. Although I don't always agree with him I appreciate his honesty and candor. Mike Valenti just seems as though he's got some insights and is pretty good with the wit. Give these guys a few more years and I hate to say it, but they'll become the next tired old bit too. It seems to be the nature of sports radio and our attention span.

Jamie Samuelson is a nice guy. Not overtly controversial and not too hard pressing but he brings an intellectual quotient to sports radio. Horrendous time slot for him though.

Sean Baligian is great. A little bombastic and full of piss & vinegar. Fun to listen to especially on hockey. He has his opinions and is willing to listen to others which is great too.

Jim Rome is the one that I can't seem to stomach because the show is all about him. Even the callers that call in have to sound like him. It's not even a sports conversation- it's more of sports preaching for Jim Rome. His interviews are stiff and scripted at best because he never seems to have a follow-up question. Is it me or is he even getting fewer and fewer interviews. Lord knows why anyone would even call in to this show.

Them's my takes on Detroit Sports Radio. Fun subject to toss back & forth, DefendBrooklyn.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7944
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karsch & Anderson- I'd lump into the Jamie Samuelson category of being nice guys. Informative, non-abrasive and cordial for the most part.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karsch and Anderson... Are they on 97.1

I forgot about Caputo...he is pretty good as well.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7946
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caputo has his moments. He has some great insights on certain topics and for whatever reason, he also flakes out and rants endlessly. He strikes of homerism a little too bit for my tastes; I love it when he does his best to be objective.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't sugarcoat and knows alot about many sports.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Killer Kowalski...
He does good with the lions but i dont think he is critical enough for the sake of being "in" with the Lionets organization.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my money Valenti and Foster have the best sports TALK Show in the market. Valenti had to grow on me but I do think he is an outstanding talent who could make a jump to a larger market.
He is one of the few sports "geeks" who is also entertaining. In the major sports he is very knowledgable. A lot of the local sports host are opinionated but lack the depth of reasoning to support their opinion, Valenti has that.
T-Fos is a good counterbalance for Valenti and keeps him in check which makes for good radio.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these guys are a bunch of blowhards. Have you ever heard them admit that they might be wrong about something?
Has anyone ever heard them say, "I never knew that" or agree with a caller who mentioned something that went against their current rant?

Smogboy

Post Number: 7996
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about some of the local guys in town not being somewhat open minded about callers who call in and disagree. Yes, they disagree and that's to be expected in an open dialogue. What happens is that once the caller goes off the air, the host still holds court. The only serious blowhard that I think never lets opposing points of view on is Jim Rome and he's a national sports talk guy.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: