Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal ::: Mega Thread » Archive of Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal » Archives » POLL: Worst Detroit Mayor - Young or Kilpatrick? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please excuse me if this poll has already been conducted on this board. I came back to post on DetroitYes! because I am fed up with what is happening to the image and future development of the city of Detroit. If you try to travel anywhere and tell someone you're from Detroit, you get stares, bewilderment, and flat-out shock from some folks wondering what the heck is wrong with the state. Logic doesn't seem to apply here because previous scandals have ended with resignations of public officials within 48 hours. This poll is probably too early to judge, but I want to hear from everyone. In your opinion, who has been the worst mayor of Detroit?

A. Coleman A. Young
B. Kwame Kilpatrick

My opinion? I think Young stayed in office too long and stifled regional relationships socially and economically. However, I never thought Kilpatrick would surpass him in the level of corruption and arrogance. He's making Young's legacy look better as the weeks progress with this scandal.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK is easily the worst mayor to come along in decades, the most corrupt and arrogant since Charles Bowles became, in 1930, the first mayor of a big city ever recalled from office. That's saying something. We've had other shnooks and crooks, but KK comes across as an authentic street thug.

I believe many people, if they look at Young objectively, will say he was a good mayor for the first couple terms but then fell victim to his own hubris. While doing a magazine piece in 1985 (or was it '86?), I followed him around one day as he campaigned for his fourth term. I went into the assignment expecting to dislike the guy but came away liking him. He was easily one of the most charismatic people I've ever met. And his autobiography, "Hard Stuff," ghost-written by Lonnie Wheeler, is a helluva read.

The MFIC---for better or worse, that was Coleman Young.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are both crooked, but Coleman was GOOD at it..
I'll give my vote for "worst" to Kwame.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is a tie...I def believe that both have had a harmful impact on the city.

Think about it, we have all the pieces to be great and we aren't for some reason.

1. We are an international port yet we don't exploit our resources.
2. We have an in city island that has become nothing more than a hang out for teenie boppers.
3. We have a TIER 1, PACE research institution in the middle of the city that has open admission policies...everybody in the frickin city should have at least an Associates.
4. We've got the best hustlers in the world who continue to hustle for the devil, not God.

I just don't get it. I was telling my husband the other day, as we watched some b-roll of Chicago on HGTV...I said "that's how you do corruption"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3367
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easily Kilpatrick. I agree with Richard_bak.

Coleman was a victim of his era as much as anything else. Kwame is a victim of his own arrogance.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Kwame. As far as I know, Young never went to jail.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus Coleman never went to jail. People went to jail on Coleman's behalf.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People died on Kwame's behalf. Whoops, those are just rumors.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could never understand people's problem with Young. Grass was cut, cops would come, the budget was balanced. I think a lot of what you hear is legend based the fact that the City was in a position of struggling with racism and the impact of the shrinking population (this started in the 1950's folks).

He was certainly no saint, but there are far worse.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Agreed.

Coleman Young had nothing but good intentions for the city of Detroit. Of course, we can't ignore the fact the city lost over 500,000 people & most of its tax base during his administration (white middle class).

So KK is definitely the worst.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman was really only hated by suburbanites, which makes him forever popular with some Detroiters, but Kwame may be hated by everyone for letting the world know how big of a shithole Detroit really is.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason Hizzoner CAY didn't go to jail was that he was good at being slippery. Kwame isn't as good. Look back at some of the scandals.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Kilpatrick, Charles Bowles is the worst Mayor, followed closely by Albert Cobo.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, what Jcole said.

KK, first, then Young, & Bowles. The Traitorous Trio. Boo hiss.

KK & Bowles just got caught. Young is second because he didn't get caught and more time to mess Detroit up. Maybe he just paid off the right people. And somebody died in the Bowles situation.

Oh, yes, I keep forgetting about Strawberry! Well maybe a stripper in the '00s isn't as important as a radio guy in the '30s??

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because Jerry Buckley didn't look as good in a G-string and 4-inch heels as Strawberry. No broadcaster does (unless you're Marv Albert, I guess).

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's where I will vote for KK!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK than Bowles but other ex mayors have done jail time too.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "ex" mayors is the key, here. Jailed while they were in office?

(Message edited by eastsidedame on August 08, 2008)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8525
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is about the ONLY place I'd vote for KK. CAY might've been a bad bad man but he was at least somewhat shrewd about it and never spent jail time for his shenanigans. There aren't any mug shots of Hizzoner out there that we know of and KK's already had two within the last few months.

I'm also part of me is partial to KK being a bigger stink because he's current and ol' King Coleman was ages ago.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is clearly worst
but I must defend Coleman the only thing Coleman Young ever did was stay in office for too long. He was the right mayor for that time if had only serve 2 or 3 terms Detroit would be better off today.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7592
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is worst mayor in Detroit?

Kwame Kilpatrick, 10,000 times much worse then Charles Bowles in Detroit history.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard Reading has to be among the Big 3 along with KK and Bowles. Young was slippery and he dodged more than one bullet while he was in office, but nobody ever proved anything against him. He was a crook, no doubt, but he pales in comparison to these other guys for outright corruption.

Honorable mention to Louis Miriani.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.