Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through September 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy,
I don't want to threadjack, but could you tell us a little about the STP Family? I think it was kind of a commune outfit in Colorado?
GREAT story by the way -

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old-guy, if you get in touch with Ruth, find out if she is now, or has been, in contact with Linda Jordan Long, formerly of Breeze and Linda. Linda re-married and was living in Southern Cal for many years, along with long ago mutual friends of whom, I believe, a few were Gar Wooders. I lost contact with her many years ago.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth has an entry on this page:

http://www.motorcitymusicarchi ves.com/guestbook1.html

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kennyd, They were a pretty big loose group, travelers. Some good, some bad. Tucson and Frisco in the winter and Colorado in the Summer. Biker type hippies without motorcycles. You can find stuff about them on the web.

Old_guy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things that I remember about the Garwood that always amazed me was the lighting in the ballroom. I don't know if anyone remembers how beautiful it was. There was a hollow crown moulding that ran all the way around the ballroom just below the ceiling. There was a solid row of lights inside the moulding pointed at the wall and up towards the ceiling. You couldn't actually see any of the lights. There was a basic set of dimmers that ran all the lights. You could dial it down to a deep purple or red or green or whatever. The whole thing still worked after all those years. It really set the tone for one of the great party rooms of all time.

Rocketwhit
Username: Rocketwhit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello this is rocketwhit i'm a little disapointed no one really mentioned the things i recall visiting garwood. i must have saw it from a different view, the phone booth, marble shower, posters painted on the wall the dumbwaiter the three kitchens, hidden staircase, power generator in attic the tunnel to the boathouse, the bowling alley under the bridge. we climbed out a window to the roof but it was in the generator room, my friend almost slid to his de-mise. forgive me if i sounded rude but my passion about this place is second to none thanks for all your input. my garwood poster friends you know who you are!!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Whit, don't mean to be evasive or to keep you holding on. There's a mother load of stuff about the Gar Wood to be revealed. It's not all sitting right at the front of my brain - especially after all of these years. So it may take some time for things to come out. And you may have to keep helping. There's also the time factor. As much as I'd like to sit here posting all of the time (and I would), it's just not possible. There is still a life outside of Detroityes to be lived. Thanks for your prompting and memories. The bowling alley is a good example, I don't seem to have a memory of it. I'll think about it more and get back to you.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright #1 thanks for reply its the gar people like you i want to jog memories and experiances from i wish your life out side gar wood to be as good and great as my gar experiance. Can you tell me anyone, about Ruth Hoffman, is this the Ruth Hoffman that went missing out of the blue? Ruth is this you? I would very much love to talk to you please! Ihope you see this and are comfortable and able with your situation and above all safe to respond.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John_Collier Big John i'am waiting for news and a path to what i know will be the most entertaining book i have seen outside the bible and Elvis the Red and Sonny West version dont read to deeply into that without more input, i'am still waiting for David Gillmore auto biography. Great to see your posts. Thank's again Rocket!

Old_guy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all honesty, I don't remember there being a bowling alley at the Garwood. I remember the bowling alley in the attic at the Fisher Mansion. I do remember the showers you were talking about, especially the one in the master bedroom with all the shower heads and the setting for 'tepid' water. I remember the main kitchen, with a second room connected to it that was also a kitchen. At the other end of the house, I lived in the servants quarters which also had a small kitchen in it. There was a stairway that went down to several rooms, which I also lived in for a while, and a hallway that led to the pool. From there you could go to the boat house. There was also a hallway (I believe from the boat house, or in between the boat house and the pool) that went back to a walk in vault. I remember that across from the master bedroom, on the other side of the ballroom, one of the second floor bedrooms had a trap door in the ceiling that went up into a secret room that couldn't be accessed from the attic. The generator in the attic was also a huge radio transmitter that the Woods used to transmit and I guess receive information on boat races around the country and world, (as I was told.) To be honest with you though, I really don't believe there was a bowling alley at the Garwood Mansion. As 1KD mentioned, I also remember things that I had forgotten, the more I discuss this.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats up Old_guy ? I could'nt amagine being there while the mansion was in working order, that had to be great. The bowling alley was under the bridge for all grayhaven residents i assume. during my visit no-one lived there. I remember a hole burnt in the ceiling of the ballroom in that attic room were walls covered in sample carpets. Did you see posters painted on the walls of the second story bed room that looked over the ballroom ? I remember the ingraving in the shower with one shower head that read scalding. If you can jog your memories any more, I will be your audience any time my friend. The emotions range from complete AWH to tears for me. I know how mental it must sound, But it was unforgetable. But for that to be close to 30 yrs ago it held some great meaning in my mind, because i still get goose bumps when i think about it, let alone someone wants to talk or here me rave about it. the radio was used to co-ordinate booze runs also i've been told. I would love to know the builder, or have access to blue prints, can you lend idea or input on this? Thanks Pal.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on this site must have access to Sanborn Maps that include the Garwood Mansion and others in that area.

Old_guy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting rocket. I wasn't aware that there was anything up around the bridge. I don't ever remember looking for anything. Making it across the bridge and onto the island was usually a time for high fives, and leaving the island was usually a good time to punch it. I'm looking at a photo of the area around the bridge from the 30's and it does look like there's a structure that I didn't remember.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right OG, my friends that took me to the island, were actually shot at going to the mansion. when we made our trip ther was a chain link fence across the bridge, a hole was in the fence that alot of people had been thru you could tell by the way it was pushed down. This was a trip of adventure so we were going to get all we could from this excursion. Mortalman good to see your post. I have been in the middle of a move of residence and am now able to post again. those of you that have read my HOF threads know how much i couldnt wait to hit the forum at a run. The lanes under the bridge were not useable and i remember at least 2 maybe 3 lanes. But the ball return was still present, So very cool. Can you give more input on the Sanborn maps? To use some Funk Brothers Mo-Town lingo you cats have me fired up. Dig dig dig deep my friends the hole life ahead of you thing goes by so very quickly. I know have 5 grand children and would love to share our stories and photos with.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way i want to say hello to the man who started this place of classic remembrance thank you Lowell!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1929, vol 11, sheet 93

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great thread. I've been wishing I could refer to floor plans whenever I read about the magnificence of the place.

I guess there isn't a floor plan floating out there someplace, or blueprints? I'm kind of lame on where to look for something like that.
Thanks for sharing all your experiences and cool descriptions of rooms, etc.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've emailed Ruth Hoffman at an address posted on a website here at DY. No reply yet after a few days. I'll holler if she responds, and if we're lucky Ruth will post here again.

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thankyou #1KD Kath always great to receive your positive and encouraging posts. Someone out there has some great pictures to share i just know it!

Old_guy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh... here's a small copy of that photo I was thinking of. Buried in the computer. I assume it was probably taken by John Collier and is copyrighted.

Old_guy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or, here it is.
mansion g.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old-guy, that photo's been around for quite some time. It may be the same 70's photo of the house from EARTH magazine? I can't enlarge it to achieve enough clarity to get a good look. I have a copy of the magazine someplace. There's a photo of the long, dark haired girl, with glasses, washing windows in the house and I think she's also swinging from a tree out on the point. Some of the people in the photo are; Breeze, Linda, Victor, Annie, Stone, Charlie, Fergie, David and Roslyn (folkies from New Orleans), Larry Merriman, and others that I can't see clear enough to identify. I'll find the magazine and relate it to you if you don't have it. Whit, I was at the bridge-boathouse on many occasions, by water and also crossing on the way to the house. I vaguely remember the bowling alley. The lanes may have been under water occasionally. Did you see any indication of that? I remember the electronics and machinery in the attic. I was up there frequently. I think someone said it was a ham radio set-up and controls for other house electronics, possibly rheostats for the dome and cove lights.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick story about the bridge to Greyhaven. There was a fire at the house and they called the Detroit Fire Department. The fire trucks were too large to cross the bridge. The fire department called the fire boat out. Back then the Detroit Fire Boat was the John Kendall. The Kendall came out and pulled up to the house on the Detroit River side. Apparently, in the meantime, the fire, not a major one, was under control. The firefighters came in, checked the house, hung out for a while and took off. I don't remember exactly what the damage amounted to other than a lot of smoke. I'd like to talk to any of the firefighters that were there.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received failure notice responses to my attempts to email Ruth Hoffman at the UCS.edu address posted on a website I found here on DY. Sorry. We'll have to keep trying.

Old_guy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, that was the same e-mail address I had when I was talking with her a couple years ago. I wasn't sure where that photo I posted came from. The guy sitting to the left of Larry had a 16x20 framed copy of it. I haven't heard from him for a number of years. I went out west for about a month when it was taken. Seeing it again did remind me who Charlie was though. Had a lot of laughs with him.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old-guy, I'm not sure if I remember who was who amongst all the residents and hangers-on. Obviously, I know some of them well but I might not be able to tell you Stone from Charlie from Fergie. If I find the EARTH magazine, I'll try to get it posted in hopes the photo will be more clear and maybe we can identify the people in it. I know the names, I'm just not sure I can put them with the faces each and every time.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just remembered a couple of names: Mike and Donna Cutini. They hung at the house regularly and had some parties at their house in SCS. They were a very nice, young(weren't we all young back then?)couple. They dressed stylishly and had the requisite cool (shag?)haircuts. Maybe someone here remembers them?

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#1 you are right because it was open to the channel so if the water got high enough it would have ran down hill to the slope of the lanes. way to go #1 it helps with what i saw. thanks pal

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid in the late 70's and 80's I too recall the stucco structure that was in the shadow of the bridge. Was this a clubhouse type of place for all residents of the island?? I too am enjoying all the stories. ....andy

Rocketwhit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy glad to have you join in. that is what i think the case is . It was for the grayhaven residents. club house good description.