Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit Schools: "Hey brother can you spare some toilet paper?" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need toilet paper and light bulbs. How the hell do they plan to keep going like this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28 544267/

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Sorry, can't even spare a square.

DPS is not alone - with regard to troubled waters - just The Worst.

Whether Board of Education, Social Services, Road Commission, Police & Fire, Automobile Industry........far too much financial resources go to covering payroll, medical insurance, loss prevention (lawsuit payouts), unemployment insurance premiums and pension benefits.

Leaving precious few dollars to actually perform any semblance of service and/or produce a quality product

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Academy of Americas. Is this a DPS school or private\charter school? If it's not a DPS run school, that should be mentioned in the article.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The proper title to the article should have been: "Detroit Schools Lack Competent Leadership."

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Academy of the Americas is the DPS's bilingual English/Spanish elementary school. It's on the southwest side in the old St. Hedwig's building. My best friend's daughter went there (her mother is from Central America) before they split town for less green, but safer and more lucrative, pastures.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell do they do with all that money?

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disgraceful. No superintendent should be making $280k when there are schools without toilet paper. In her last year here, she couldn't do an assessment of basic needs?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not having toilet paper is the least of the bathroom worries in DPS. Most DPS bathrooms are health hazards in and of themselves. You're lucky if there is one working toilet and one working sink in a bathroom. Most kids I know that go to DPS schools don't go to the bathroom at school.

You should really check it out some day. It will blow your mind away how bad of condition DPS bathrooms for kids are in.

Gralr
Username: Gralr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG..... and the taxes the city collects, what is going on there! What in the world! no wonder the public buildings are like fortresses. Elected officials running things for the citizens what insanity. Sell off the schools raise funds.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell the kids to bring their own TP and paper towel for bathroom use. Then maybe they will be less likely to make wet, soggy wads to throw up to stick on the ceiling.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an article a few weeks ago that said the Detroit Public school teachers were going to have to start paying to use coffee makers, microwaves and refrigerator space. Is that true? And does the superintendent really make 280K?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5895
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the news story was for a downriver district, not Detroit. I may be wrong.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for an extremely well-off school district, the richest in the state if i'm not mistaken, and we're researching the possibility of charging our teachers and staff to use electricity as well.

so sad.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos: You are so right, those nasty bathrooms will blow your mind. No doors on the stalls and NO SOAP in the soap dispenser and if that isn't enough, they're filthy.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy TP, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, soap, paper towels, etc. for my students. Even if DPS had Tp in the lavs, my kids prefer mine since I buy the 2 ply Charmin variety. When they need to "go", I send them off with a roll and a container of soap and some paper towel. Those items are, pretty much, my bathroom pass for them.

I do believe the Academy listed in the article is a DPS run charter school.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a question that has baffled me for the longest time. How are these schools so broke of basic supplies and such?

Of the 50 largest school districts in the country Detroit ranks 7 in terms of per pupil spending. The city that spends the most per student is ranked number 1 and the city that spends the lowest is ranked number 50. Again Detroit is 7.

http://www.heritage.org/research/Education/images/b2179_chart5.gif

(Message edited by Philbert on January 08, 2009)

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because the money being spent "per student" never actually trickles down to the students.

Retroit

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philbert, the key is "per student/pupil". The money isn't being spent on the students; it's being spent on (i.e. stolen by) the administration.

Retroit

Post Number: 710
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Wood, you beat me to it. So that's why I had to try 3 times to post it.

Just goes to prove: Great minds think alike.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Connie Calloway was paid how much a year?

What a worthless, incompetent woman.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bears repeating

.....far too much financial resources go to covering payroll, medical insurance, loss prevention (lawsuit payouts), unemployment insurance premiums and pension benefits.

Leaving precious few dollars to actually perform any semblance of service.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've provided my own kleenex for my students the past nine years. This year, there is a shortage of TP in my school as well--many of the girls who have bathroom passes come back to my room to take a tissue or two with them because there is no toilet paper in the bathrooms. There is also a garbage bag shortage in my school. The aforementioned school in the article just had the guts to go public with their issue. Trust me, they are FAR from the only DPS school to have these issues.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in a district with tp & garbage bags and soap, yet one of my teachers puts half rolls of tp on top the urinals and on the paper towel dispensers. Biggest waste of supplies where I work is that FOAMY SOAP, The kids throw it around, it gets on the floor, and cost alot.

Reddog289

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing. Didn,t this happen a few years back and a whole sh## load of TP was found in a werehouse?. And also how many supplies were left in the vacated schools?.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8966
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all that TP is piled up in the CAY basement, it was delivered a few weeks late for that unfortunate electrical 'accident' that was supposed to save Kwhyme's prominent ass.

They then kept it around for when all that excrement hit the fanblades...selfish BASTARDS!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS is broke that one international Detroit School district is begging like a po-folk.

It's time for recievership, in fact FIRE the whole Detroit School Board and appoint someone who has great experience like Detroitteacher.

You looking at lots of student flight to those EVIL charter schools and suburban schools by next year. Face it, the Detroit School Board is fighting a losing battle.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289....can't stand that damn foamy soap; our district made the switch last summer.
Terrible product - total waste of resources.

Reddog289

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my district switched soap 2 yrs or so, the contractor threw out all the old soap with the dispensers. Needless to say some of it found its way back in. I did not like our old soap. But with the new they are supposed to use less and it,s GREEN to save the planet.Supplying Schools with supplies is a huge bussiness with hugh $$ involved.

Retroit

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They're all crooks."

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was SHOCKED, SHOCKED to see in the paper recently that DPS's annual budget was 1.1 BILLION with a B.

Retroit

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see: $1.1 Billion divided by 94,000 students = $11,702 per student.

Gasp!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This toilette paper / crappy bathroom situation has been the case since I was in DPS over 10 years ago. I really don't understand the lack of accountability in the DPS system, it seems like nobody knows where the supplies are.

When my mom worked in the DPS system she would often complain about how some teachers would get school supplies, and then try to sell them back to the students. Looks like not much has changed in that regard AT ALL.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janitors/custodians have been laid off at my school. In the past if I needed supplies like paper towels and toilet paper I would ask them. Now, I'm lucky if I run across one, and since he or she is doing double or triple duty, I'd be lucky to get supplies from them in a timely manner.

Sadly, I bring TP from home for the students. It's too much of a hassle trying to track down the janitor and there's no one around when you run out of TP. The students still need to go to the lavatory. I do find that middle school students tend to waste a lot of paper. For example, the TP is for the lavatory, but the same students with the same allergies are constantly using it to blow their noses. When there's no TP I don't get them asking me for it. So in this case these students need to bring their own kleenex so that the TP that's available is used for lavatory purposes only.

With that in mind, the only other solution is to request that parents supply students with their own TP. Sounds draconian, but students might be a little more responsible with how much TP they use if they know that that's all that they're going to get.

BTW, in my opinion the superintendent's salary of $280,000 is ludicrous. The mayor's salary isn't that high and he or she is responsible for running a city with more than 800,000 people. The Board has to make better financial decisions. One of the first is to reduce that ridiculous salary to say $100,000. The supe of Detroit's Public Schools should not make more than the mayor of Detroit. That additional $180,000 could pay for a lot of TP.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4395
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me for not knowing the logistics of the matter, but what do they use the Michigan State Lottery funds for? I thought that went to help out the schools in Michigan. Surely they could mark some of that money for such necessities.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started working at Atkinson elementary 5 years ago and they had no toilet paper then.

Up until last year, Western, Cass and Renaissance were the only schools I worked with that had toilet paper, now Western doesn't seem to have it anymore. Osborn doesn't even have stall doors. Pershing has at least two women's bathrooms with only 1 or 2 working toilets.

It's just disgusting. What kind of message does this send to students about their worth as human beings if they don't even have toilet paper in the bathrooms of a building they are in 35-40 hours a week?

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone needs to go into the DPS building in new center and remove the toilet paper from every bathroom on every DPS floor.

I know a school in SW Detroit that could use it.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penelopetheduck & Wood...Right-On; I echo your sentiments.

Sad is the only word that adequately describes DPS.

Detroitteacher will attest to the fact that, at Cooley High School, other than a few (and I mean, a few) varsity interscholastic teams.....there are no extracurricular activities.
Cooley does not have a band; no orchestra - no performing arts department. Cooley has no music or art classes.

I say: fire the Board of Education; hire a college student as Superintendent.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that lack of funding is the biggest issue, but it is not the only one that leads to high schools not having extracurriculars etc. There are a whole lot of lazy adminstrators and a whole lot of burnt out, unsupported teachers and that impacts things.
I work for a non-profit after-school that offers to our participating high schools FOR FREE:

a) a dedicated staff member who works with students to raise money for international relief and do local volunteering.

b)a leadership program for struggling or disengaged students that includes a paid internship, camping trip, college prep and adult mentoring

c) a free trip to Africa or Central America for 2 students from each school per year.

We have to practically beg DPS schools to get back with us and accept our programming. Adminstrators don't return our phone calls, teachers are too apathetic or just exhausted and unsupported to devote the time to helping us. I even had an administrator at Southwestern High School tell me to, "get out and stop wasting my time".

I work with such an amazing group of hardworking, devoted teachers who support our program at their schools....but we've also had to stop working with schools because no teachers or administrators would lift a finger to support our program. It's such a shame.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penelopetheduck....very sad to hear of the reception you received at Southwestern.

I will say this....

Since 2004, I have spent a great deal of time at Duffield Elementary, Cooley High, & (the former) Mackenzie High School; everyone there was enthusiastic and helpful.

We all need to get in these schools - see what we can do; how we can help.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Botched! - These people could be the end of civilization

Reddog289

Post Number: 861
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

School money and the way it is passed out and what it is earmarked for, is pretty confusing to say the least.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Associated Press:
Detroit Public Schools Fail to Spend Federal Funding - Money Must Now Be Returned....

""The unspent funds (36 million dollars) are from Title-I, Part-A grants earmarked for programs for children who are failing or at-risk of failing.

The money could have gone to professional development, increasing parental involvement or to pay salaries for teachers, social workers or other staff who work on targeted programs.

While the money went unspent, at least 83 teachers and 32 social workers were laid off this school year. DPS ended the 2007-08 school year with a $139-million deficit and is struggling to pay for basics such as toilet paper and fuel for buses.""

REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS........

The unspent money could have funded the revitalization & reopening of Redford & Mackenzie High School, as specialized At-Risk Student facilities.

The federal money could have been used to purchase toilet paper; at-risk students have to wipe themselves too.

Does anyone on the Board of Education have an imagination? Did they not spend the money because they have no idea how to make the system work for the children; are Board members truly that retarded?

Will someone in Lansing please call out the National Guard, The United States Army, The Obama Squad: the Time is Now - Declare the Next American Revolution - Whatever it Takes to Depose the Detroit School Board!

Retroit

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone in favor of public hanging of corrupt public officials?

Besides me? :-)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again I state the only reasonable change that I can think if is to make the mayor responsible for the governance of the schools. Not the idea solution but you have a person who can be held accountable and it would be more in line to mesh the vision for the city and the performance of its schools.

Knowwhatimsayin
Username: Knowwhatimsayin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am the great cornholio. I need TP for my bunghole."

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav stated: Cooley does not have a band; no orchestra - no performing arts department. Cooley has no music or art classes

Actually, Cooley does have a great art program. Too bad the funds aren't there to allow for more of it. The art teacher buys many of the supplies needed for her class out of pocket. Other than the art program and sports, Cooley has nothing to offer kids for extra-curriculars. Kids must have so many "elective" credits and we just don't have them to offer the kids. It's a shame!

**I forgot...we DO have a dance class and the kids do perform at competitions and such.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on January 16, 2009)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher....one cannot help but believe that the Detroit School Board is deliberately, willfully, methodically and maliciously destroying the Detroit Public School District.

There are lawsuits here....somewhere

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav hit the nail on the head:

Detroit Public Schools Fail to Spend Federal Funding - Money Must Now Be Returned....

""The unspent funds (36 million dollars) are from Title-I, Part-A grants earmarked for programs for children who are failing or at-risk of failing.

The money could have gone to professional development, increasing parental involvement or to pay salaries for teachers, social workers or other staff who work on targeted programs.

While the money went unspent, at least 83 teachers and 32 social workers were laid off this school year. DPS ended the 2007-08 school year with a $139-million deficit and is struggling to pay for basics such as toilet paper and fuel for buses.""

So, why has the board not been recalled, why is there no loud outcry, and why is State money being used to bail the district out, again?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav hit the nail on the head:

So, why has the board not been recalled and why is there no loud outcry?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that DPS is not serving the KIDS. Unfortunately, our administration in the building is also hurting the kids. We used to have oodles of extra-curriculars. The admin just doesn't want to be bothered with anyone staying after school. I wanted to start a book club (at the kids' request). I was told NO because they didn't want anyone (kids) in the building after school hours. The admin has also stopped all assemblies (we used to have a wonderful Kwanza celebration, awards ceremony, etc). We now hold our awards banquet, senior pinning, etc. off campus. It's the only way we are allowed to do anything for the kids...and only 2 of the administrators (including dept chairs) attend these events. The Principal NEVER attends anything and only makes an appearance at prom because he can show up on his boat (it's at the Roostertail).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that DPS is not serving the KIDS. Unfortunately, our administration in the building is also hurting the kids. We used to have oodles of extra-curriculars. The admin just doesn't want to be bothered with anyone staying after school. I wanted to start a book club (at the kids' request). I was told NO because they didn't want anyone (kids) in the building after school hours. The admin has also stopped all assemblies (we used to have a wonderful Kwanza celebration, awards ceremony, etc). We now hold our awards banquet, senior pinning, etc. off campus. It's the only way we are allowed to do anything for the kids...and only 2 of the administrators (including dept chairs) attend these events. The Principal NEVER attends anything and only makes an appearance at prom because he can show up on his boat (it's at the Roostertail).

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 594
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DT what is the official reason that the admin doesn't want the kids after school ? Is it because of the area surrounding the school or is it just because the folks want to leave when the students do ?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty much folks want to leave when students do...and they claim "liability" issues (whatever that might mean). Other schools have after school activities and I haven't heard them crying about liability.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.