Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through January 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Ya'll, Lots more snow here this morning. Looking forward to the road trip to AZ & NV next month. Just wanted to mention that the bongos and maroccas in that pic, my Dad brought  them from Havana when he came over here at age 16. I still have them, the same shirt and still married to the same girl. Sug I have a pic of me in a fist fight with my friend Johnny Dago in Detroit. Show me the money. The frown, I can't help you there.LOL

Candy_man

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other note about my Dad while my memory serves me. He was arrested in Chicago for the kidnapping of Lindbergs daughter only because he was wearing a Zuit Suit and Panama Hat. He was exonerated immediatly, even though he couldn't even speak good english yet. About the same discriminaton against Hippies, wouldn't you say?

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Margie, I didn't. After I lost that holster, I started doing more drugs and drinking heavily. I drifted aimlessly for 20 some years, talking to anyone that would listen to me, telling the story about my harp holster. Mine was somewhat less elaborate than the one in your photo, it was just a single harp, leather, slip on your belt unit. I still have the scars though. If any of you could send me a substantial amount of money, maybe I could get some therapy.

Neil, does the shirt still fit. And, I'm not paying for a photo of you fighting with a smile on your face.

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penny snap a pic when Neil finds out I'm not given him a $ 100 bucks then we will see smile gone.

Sug

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil how about the time we were raceing down the mtn in the candy van with Dusty on the roof yelling, I guess you were smilen but it was a diferent kind of smile.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey BushMark was that you on the red carpet last night?

Candy_man

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sug, I remember that Dusty was always yelling, but, which mountain?

Old_guy

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 3 piece suit made out of red carpet, and a 73 Buick covered with red carpet.

Sug, Dusty isn't with us any more is he?

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I take Mikes wrestling boots in to get them fixed and a couple of hours ago and the guy that owns the shoe repair asks me if I want to come in the back and have some coffee and smoke a hooka with him......................

Candy_man

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Ed Sullivan RIP? The saying was to pay $100 or walk 100 miles to see him smile.He had a really, really good show. Have a really, really good day.

Margie

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went Al Amiers for lunch yesterday and Mike goes to introduce me to the owner, so we go to the back of the restraunt and he is sitting at round a big round booth with his sons and they were smoking a hooka !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sug, re: your post #90 - THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!, ad infinitum. 1KielsonDrive.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 756
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, that looks much more like a back brace than a holster. And, much more appropriate.

Old_guy

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was actually glad he stole my harps. They were so old and cumbersome, it was embarrassing.

h1.gif

h3.gif

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SUG re your post # 90. Add my name to the wish for prison stripes!!! For his cronies as well!

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

******************VOTE FOR SUG'S POST#90***************

the hair on the back of my neck is just starting to come down,
for a while everyone thought I spiked it ,
and when I told them it was a natural reaction to a
louse being elected president then re-elected ,
they laughed. I scowled and said wait until U have
no HEALTH insurance, no jobs and all of what you know, is not .
Well we all know the rest of the garbage.
Thanks SUG

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...RE: Sug post 90

whatever it is that is worn in hell is what he should be wearing...may he rot in hell for all the crimes he has committed and all the people that are screwed over because of his crooked ass...and his buddy cheney should burn right along with him...

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sug

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JARVO You read my mind. Good riddance!

Ruth

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SUG and Jarvo - OK now you've got me started - throw in Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice, Ashcroft, Gonzales - oh and can we throw in Blagojavich while we're at it....

I have others on my "list"
KennyD - priceless photo.....

Oh no - now this blog will head off into another direction. Sorry guys

Candy_man

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You are politically correct sir".Theyr'e going to have to hire 750,000 more secret service agents to protect all the rejects. Super max is over loaded, just send them all out in space (one way ticket).

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to change the subject but I will change the course with water lines.............
PSI, can you imagine the size of the city water lines that were there.

I mean the water pressure was always so great Cold but great, but to get that kid of pressure, did the house have its own power house? What about waste , was that septic or city sewer?
ugh I know tech questions , however I almost remember a outside sprinkler system, like for the fountain and surrounding area.

anyone want to flush out the answers :-)@@@@@@:-)@@@@@@:-)

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For another challenge to myself I have been searching for entertainment venues for gatherings that have huge stairs similar to the GW entry and also on the water, this is the closest that I found in the a area close to the Big D .

http://www.pinelakecc.com/

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Isle, I know PLCC very well. If you want to be way out in the exurbs, then PLCC might do. But, I can guarantee you they ain't going to let a bunch of ex-hippies in that place. It's one of the priciest, most exclusive, clubs in the metro area. Blue-blood all the way. The new clubhouse has not one bit of architectural significance and the grand staircase is way overblown as staircases go. It's not far from where Breeze & Linda lived in the early 80's when they were on Long Lake Road at the south end of Pine Lake. The homes on the lake are all in the multi-million dollar range. I think it was one of the Pistons(help me - he was from Duke and injured his foot) built a huge, butt-ugly, tens of millions of dollars estate on the east side of the lake. Way too much. Keep trying. Maybe one of the Ford estates? Maybe one of the Boston-Edison, Palmer Woods or Indian Village homes?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man what an incredibly incendiary thread. I read some posts from certain spots and have I to admit I'm jealous. Sounded like a good time.

I went there to jump off the boat house into the canal in the mid 90's.

It seems you had as much fun as I did.

Rockinrona
Username: Rockinrona

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aloha neil and penny, I really got a flash back on your photos and remember a few good times 1970 We had no fuel at my birthday party, cold in the ballroom so we made a rip roaring fire in the huge fireplace, and Catfish and Dallas played for a small group of us very close to the fire to keep warm! wow, just fun to know your all out there enjoying life, you two should get the golden eagle for being a couple and staying in the mix, so long and loving it.I finally finished reading the whole thread, what a funny guy bush mark on"the dog paid the rent, and if ya know I had paid the rent, it may have got spent on drugs, this is so funny, Gus has me in a belly roll too! But stoneft has the cake in the laugh out loud, around the cape twice.yo yo ho ho margie and sharon both are just to funny!!rr

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8986
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That house on Pine Lake was built by a road maker, one of those crooks who under-build the infrastructure that is crumbling beneath our feet!

He did buy the original floor the Pistons played on at the Silverdome, for his gymnasium floor. The house SHOULD be owned by a Piston, but I don't think it is...it was on the market forEVER for something like 10 million dollars, I think it went for half that but don't remember who bought it.

MY neuvo-hippie best-client/friend lives right next door. In June we could arrange a beach-bingo party, I'll fly the idea by him tonight.

(Message edited by Gannon on January 13, 2009)

Margie

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Mornin Friends...
Is everyone savin up your money to send to Ruthie ? If we do that a.s.a.p. then we can start saving for some partying for the weekend !

Ruth

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me add to Margie's post. We're still waiting to hear from people so we can put a price per ticket on this event. I have opened an account specifically for this - Checks will be made out to GarWood Reunion. All the details will be in the invitations that will be mailed around March 1. If you think you will be there but haven't sent me your address and contact information, please do. Contact me at ruthhoff@uiuc.edu.

Margie

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MORNIN OG