Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Pick up the trash!! « Previous Next »
Archive through February 25, 2009Bobl30 02-25-09  5:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told by a Black Detroiter with a straight face that Black people don't pick up litter/trash because it reminds them of when their ancestors were slaves. This when I mentioned that the Detroit clean-up day volunteers were mostly white suburbanites.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, you are the baddest man in the whole damn town. :-)

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the other day that a majority of the residents of the city are renters, not owners. This surprised since I had always heard Detroit had one of the highest rates of home ownership.

No one has any feeling of community. How can you expect people to help when YOU can't even pick up the trash on your own front yard. whats that cost???

Unreal.. I too have cleaned the areas at Mariners Park. Pisses me off that this gives fisherman a bad name. Cans all over down there for trash, but those are used for fires. If they don't care, why should I??...andy

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:I have been told by a Black Detroiter with a straight face that Black people don't pick up litter/trash because it reminds them of when their ancestors were slaves.
------------------------------ --------------------

With THAT mentality, nothing will ever get acomplished in Detroit.

What a laim cop-out. It's ignorance like that that makes me loose hope for Detroit.

P.S. DetroitStar, props to you, you are a star. Keep fighting the good fight!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Detroitej72:

With THAT mentality, nothing will ever get acomplished in Detroit.

What a laim cop-out. It's ignorance like that that makes me loose hope for Detroit.

Well tighten your hope for Detroit. In my experience that mentality is not representative of most Detroiters. In fact, that thinking is retarded. I can see if the person said they shouldn't have to clean up behind others, but behind one's self . . . purely retarded logic.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the tv show "The Wire" because all the characters just litter everywhere with no regard for trash bins or the area. There a lot of scenes were they run in a food mart or liquor store grab chips and snacks and then just throw them out their car window when they're done.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement, I guess my last post sounded too negative... sorry, just been a lousy week.

Actually, I haven't come close to loosing hope, I guess I should take a breather before I reply to threads that get my dander up!

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone tell me again how great Goat is cause he planted all those flowers in Windsor. Yep, he's great.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I walk around the city quite a bit when the weather is decent. When it gets warmer, I think I'm going to start carrying a trash bag in my pocket and pick up trash as I go.<<

I've been doing this for years. Sad thing is, it never seems to make a difference. *sigh*

Detroitej72

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Goat, don't hold back, tell me how you really feel.

Either your being sarcastic, or you are really an angry, bitter person.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly, Detroitstar was in the right, in one way: The woman's behavior was offensive, and Detroitstar was not willing to accept it and move on. Got it. And, bravo to Detroitstar for removing the litter.
But, Detroitstar, you could not possibly have believed, for even one second, that a dame guzzling whiskey straight from a pint bottle at the corner of Woodward & Willis was going to respect your request and honor it. You were asking a person lacking respect for herself to respect the ground and you.
Your best bet, in my opinion, would have been to pick up the bottle, throw it away, and go about your business, with hope that your non-confrontational (but responsible) act just MAY have elicited at least a twinge of the type of embarrassment to which Bobby08, above, owned up.
You may not think that you fronted her off, but you did, and fronting off a drunk on the streets of Detroit is an act which is hazardous and which will never yield a good result.
I respect your dedication to the cause of keeping the neighborhood as clean as possible, but I disagree with some of the folks who patted you on the back, here. I don't think you handled the situation very well, at all.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_Pavement: "We have to get at the root of why people don't respect themselves and then move forward."

Southwestmap: "I have been told by a Black Detroiter with a straight face that Black people don't pick up litter/trash because it reminds them of when their ancestors were slaves. This when I mentioned that the Detroit clean-up day volunteers were mostly white suburbanites."

There ya go.

Just rubbish. Lame excuses. This is the 21 st century, get over it already.

And stop going to clean up day. yuk. Germ infestations.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Swimmaven, a (as in one) black Detroiter gets to speak for all people that litter?

Wow, just W O W ! ! !

So riddle me this Swimmaven, I knew a white guy from Clinton Twp that on a couple occasions threw trash his out the window of his truck in the city of Detroit. Was he also reminded of slavery?

I hope we're smarter than this - but I know we're not.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am inspired to clean out my car. I refuse to litter and hate winter months. My car looks like someones garbage bin. Two garbage bags should do the trick.

We have participated in most Detroit Clean Ups. It is hard to imagine that so many people can so causually dump junk.

My favorite story was a clean up in Creekside. The city didn't pick up the trash collected in an area park and it became a new dumping ground. After many phone calls this great volunteer effort was removed. It was disheartening to say the least.

When my Dad was still alive, we had a neighbor whose son would visit and who would dump his cigarette butts out of his car on our lawn. His Mom is still our neighbor, I am sure she taught him to be better than that. But some people just don't get it.

On subject, dog poop annoys me. We have a dog and when we take him for a walk we always have plastic bags to pick up behind him. When I go to mow my lawn, I usually find multiple neighbor's dog craps which I have to clean up. Very irritating!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you just hit it with the lawn mower you will be spreading fertilizer. Greener grass and less irritation.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4185
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no doubt that city residents, in general, could be much better with their garbage. But is not just a manifestation of city residents, nor are they the most dangerous dumpers. Let's not forget to talk about tailgaters who used to treat Corktown like a dumpster and open sewer, and most importantly those illegal suburban dumpers who actually dump toxic waste and industrial garabage in the neighborhoods many times more dangerous to health and public safety than any amount of litter some city residents may drop, largely and aesthetic issue. I'd just like to try and put things into perspective. I'm just saying that perhaps some shouldn't be making sweeping, psychological statements about city residents if they aren't going to do the same for all of those that treat the city as a landfill.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite story about littering is from when Greektown held the bike races. A man down on his luck to say the least was pickin through the trash lookin for bottles. When he found a good one he'd put it in his bag. Well if it was a No Deposit/ No Return, He would say "DAMN NO DEPOSIT" then smash them on the sidewalk.Since my job is a custodian I clean up after people, I can say it is a problem in the burbs as well.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Goat, you know I have defended some of your viewpoints and highlighted many of your good works, but your vitriol has dipped deep into the red zone.
From alarmed to alarming.
Please, chillax a bit; your new edge is ruining all your previous good work.

BTW, DetroitStar is a young guy but not a punk. He established and runs a non-profit that targets at-risk teens and funnels them into scholarship programs. For whatever reason he doesn't write about his good works here, but everybody should know he isn't some hipster poser. He spends every dime making Detroit a better place.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your response was not needed... Words will not change her or most people... Examples are slightly more powerful.

Pick up the bottle, take a fake swig, and toss it in the garbage.

That being said, your response was pretty funny!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am bitter. Bitter at the idiots who run amok in our cities. Bitter at the apologists who say things happen in other cities so it is o.k. for it to happen here. Bitter at the useless politicians we elect. Bitter at the police for not having zero tolerance. Bitter at the regional infighting between gov't and people.

I have really come to not like this entire region at all. I don't believe it will change. Certainly not with the majority of the mindset of people like this fool of a woman.

Now I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about slashing the wretched beast but I really don't have hope for this region at all. That doesn't mean I won't continue to try and change it. Afterall, I still live here and will do my best to fix it while I can. But grand change? It isn't going to happen.

Downtown_lady, I do a hell of a lot more than plant some flowers. So go back to your world of illusion where Detroit is the #3 city in the USA and everyone still drives a Ford, Chryler, GM, Packard. What have you done lately?

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy Goat, you sure can't handle deserved criticism. That garbage you spewed was tongue-in-cheek? Whatever dude.

And because I checked you on it, that means that I live in a "world of illusion where Detroit is the #3 city in the USA and everyone still drives a Ford, Chryler, GM, Packard"? That doesn't even follow.

My point about the flowers was that regardless of whatever the hell you do to beautify Windsor, it does not excuse the garbage and hate that you spew constantly over here.

And as for whatever I do or don't do, I certainly don't feel the need to itemize it for your approval.

Goat

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if carving up some stupid bitch will solve anything. Of course it was tongue-in-cheek! But my other paragraph wasn't at all.

What did you check me on there dear old board police? Nothing!

I never said you needed my approval but you spew forth such nonsense as I only planted a few flowers and here are my true colours shit, I thought I would call you out to see what you have done for your city.

You seem to relish in the fact that I am not 100% happy and pleased about the region and therefore it negates any positivs that I have done or continue to do. Too fucking bad! How do you like that? I am fed up with the nonsense of people like the woman above and by people like you who pretend that we need to embrace a region for all of its ills and "move foward". Well, fuck that! That is one of the reasons we are in this mess. Too many group hugs and not enough telling it like it is. The same with the attitude of "outsiders" shouldn't say anything about Detroit. Where does this self caused insecurity come from?

I can handle criticism just fine. But I will call it as I see it regardless of what you think. Enjoy the atmosphere you helped create.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitnerd, you are the baddest man in the whole damn town. :-) "

Badder than ol' King Kong, baby. :-)

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey treetop-lover! I don't know if we can talk cause Goat might get jealous -- he pays me a lot of attention, you know. :-)

Goat

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^yeah, Kettle meet pot^^^

Whatever!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Too many group hugs and not enough telling it like it is.<<

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Gralr
Username: Gralr

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is simple to understand really. We travel a lot and see many different places. In poorer areas just look at the homes and what surrounds the home. If it is junk, garbage, and untidy then usually the city/town is the same way. Whatever the predominate class of people is seems to dominate the condition of the city.

Take the city council and drop them in Beverly Hills, or any well run city and they will see how inadequate they really are.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement said:"So Swimmaven, a (as in one) black Detroiter gets to speak for all people that litter?

Wow, just W O W ! ! !

So riddle me this Swimmaven, I knew a white guy from Clinton Twp that on a couple occasions threw trash his out the window of his truck in the city of Detroit. Was he also reminded of slavery?

I hope we're smarter than this - but I know we're not."

I was not not defending littering! I think the rationale was ridiculous (sp?) Psychologists, for the past 40+ years have been trying to come up with theories as to why people do anything anti-social. Really, litterers are just assholes. And then they go nuts when someones calls them on it because they are embarrassed (I dunno, maybe).

I think cleanup days just add to the problem. The offenders are being rewarded for their bad behaviors by other people picking up after them. I can't believe people turn these into events (clean up days) that include children. yuk.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mind set of southeast michigan is a bit shitty.
I agree with goat about the region...

Also, nice point about dropping city council any other place than detroit...It would be hilarious.

Detroit's people are in very bad shape mentally.

Educate Detroit! How do we pull the city out of the 3rd world?

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If more people felt the outrage that Goat feels this region would be less of a "boiling blister on a fat man's ass". There's a pretty significant portion of people around here who are unsocialized. They make life crappy for the rest of us. Getting angry about it is the correct response, as is confronting the shitheels.

There's a dysfunctional subculture around here that needs to be confronted and combated. Tell a litterer to pick their shit up. Tell a young guy to pick his pants up, you don't need to see his drawers. Tell the young mother to stop beating her kids with a hair brush at the bus stop. Tell the group of kids to stop shouting obscenities on the street corner in front of the little kids and the elderly. Take back the culture or Detroit really is hopeless.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk around the city quite a bit when the weather is decent. When it gets warmer, I think I'm going to start carrying a trash bag in my pocket and pick up trash as I go. Every little bit helps.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the weird double post, 2 days later.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-275 in Detroit has a lot of litter too. Also, I-96 west of Telegraph in Detroit has a lot of trash on the sides of the road. Detroiters really need to stop throwing their trash out the windows.

Reddog289

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP, suburbanites also need to quit littering.I still get a laugh about that coffee cup from the Telway burger stand ending up on my lawn. From Michigan&Martin to Michigan&Merriman.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, what we need is someone who is respected country wide to step up and bring attention to this problem. It crosses all racial lines, really.

I was in elementary school when Lady Bird Johnson handled this issue. It made an impact on me throughout my whole life. I don't litter. I saw the indian with the tear in his eye commercials too. All these things do indeed make an impact on a young persons mind. It is something we should be teaching (as parents) to our children. If the parents aren't teaching this, the schools should. That's were I first was exposed to the "Do Not Litter" movement.

I have seen people dump their traveling lunch (fast food wrappers) in a parking lot near-by our home. I couldn't believe they dumped every piece of trash on the pavement right outside their vehicle! The vehicle was nice and clean, but the parking lot was trashed after they pulled away. I couldn't believe it. There was a trash can within twenty feet of their car.
They probably thought it isn't their neighborhood, the wind will blow it away. Yeah, right into someone else's yard. It's ridiculous!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that the snow has melted, it is time to get out with the trash bags. I was walking Ginger the dog this morning and it is trash day tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't take my own advice. Next walk, bag in hand, I will attack the pox of those little whiskey bottles that seems to have sprouted. What is it with those little things? It seems a costly way to get a mouthful of hooch.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people are lazy pigs who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Don't want that wrapper in the car toss it out the window. Everywhere we go I have seen idiots littering but I have to say the amount of trash in the Metro area is out of control. My husband takes a 5 gallon bucket out once a week and picks up all the junk that morons toss on our street. Now the guy across the street is starting to do the same thing. Maybe someday there will be more that care then are pigs.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't find much trash around Telway's parking lot- the owner himself polices the lot and neighborhood every morning to pick up ALL the debris.
My 1st job at the Telegraph Telway was to clean that parking lot every morning- and the owner made me walk around the block to pick up all the papers, cig packs, bottles, cans, whatever- even if it did not come from Telway.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some one once told me about Detroiters: "If they can't fuck it, they shit on it." So true, so true.

Reddog289

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't ever recall Telway's looking shabby. I like the idea someone had to tie a garbage bag to the fence next to the bus stop by my house. For some reason I don't remember having tons of paper bags laying around my house as a kid, but them plastic bags multiply and they are everywhere.

Sumas

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroiters, If they can't fuck it, they shit on it".

That is simply the most amazingly ignorant statement I have seen on this board.

Not surprised you picked the name bulletmagnet. With your attitude and written bile please keep your kind of trash in the burbs.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 986
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i take walks i always bring a shopping bag to pick up garbage... It's easily full within 10-15 minutes. Last summer i filled 25-30 bags...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5135
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fobi.org/new.htm

quote:

Belle Isle Annual Spring Clean-Up – Saturday, April 25, 2009
9:00 am to 1:00 pm:

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in Detroit, until very recently having relocated to the burbs, the amount of litter everywhere was unbearable. We would have to wait until we actually saw the garbage truck before we pulled the courville container to the curb. If we had to put it out any earlier every "street freak" in the hood would have to dig into it looking for returnables. In the process dumping a good portion onto our lawn. If the garbage truck driver spilled trash onto the street during pickup..."Oh well". He would just drive off.

All the trash receptacles Downtown have the lids flipped open with a vagrant diggin' for loot and tossing what was placed inside onto the street.

Now we are blessed timely and courteous pick up. Major items such as appliances and furniture are picked up every week. Trucks have a two man crew that load everything into the truck. They are supplied with brooms and shovels. We have weekly curbside recycling. Rules for trash pickup are mailed out and violators of those regulations are ticketed. Items such as automotive batteries, paint, computers, radios, cell phones etc. can be dropped off at a designated area for recycling for no fee for residents.

SOCRRA credits the city $55 per ton for all recycled items picked up at the curb. So instead of paying full disposal costs, our bill is reduced. Our city had more than $122,000 deducted from our bill of $1 million to SCORRA for 2007. Of this amount, more than $99,000 was for all the types of paper accepted: newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, construction paper, envelopes, loose leaf paper, computer paper, office and school paper, etc.

Recycling bins are free and dropped off at your residence with only a simple phone call to the Solid Waste Coordinator. This person as also available for informational meetings and classes. The entire program is staffed by knowledgeable, helpful and polite staff.

Ah...civilization!

Sumas

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We live in Detroit and our community (residential)is very well maintained. Like everywhere else we have our fair share of foreclosures but neighbors collect circulars etc. People put out courville containers on time and remove them on time. Our collection service is timely and if there is a spill the drivers clean it up. We have a monthly recycling service where a portion of the profits go to our neighborhood organization.

I do not discount your bad experience. I just want people to know that not all Detroiters have had your experiences.

No question that services in general could be improved and the Council must go. We need more leadership like Richard Austin who helped streamline the Secretary of State.

Our business district is a different scenario. I used to help with clean ups in various riverfront Detroit communities but now I focus more on my area. A local pastor organizes monthly clean ups consisting of area residents and church youth which has been very successful.
The city is being pressured to write ordinance violations to absentee landlords of these businesses.

Litter is a problem everywhere and not just confined to Detroit.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose if you're moving for the sake of schools, or want a chunk of rural land that's one thing, but to think that the only place to live in the city is in the ghetto is sort of silly. The attitude seems to be, "Well, either I can live in Brightmoor or I move to the suburbs." Or, "Either I live at Mack and Lenox or I live in the suburbs."

People will say things like, "Well, I can't afford to live in Palmer Woods or Rosedale Park". Well, guess what? Neither can I!

My point is there are still plenty of affordable homes in great middle-class areas that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I think some people just get overly frustrated with their experiences in a deteriorated area and feel the only way to avoid the problem is to leave the city-proper.

By my perspective, leaving is not always the only answer.

Sumas

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eric, the point you support, is that we still have nice neighborhoods. I am straddled between two communities, EEV and Islandview. I love both. Community involvement and pride factor greatly into our neighborhoods. This year we will be pouring money into property in Islandview. Mostly exterior work.

Remember last year when a private trash hauling company dumped two large loads of trash just south of you? Area residents made calls and the problem was taken care of quickly and tickets were issued. Civic pride and involvement are critical to our survival as viable neighborhoods. As a native Detroiter, I admit to leaving the city for a time because of education issues. I lived in 3 different suburbs for educational advancement for my kids. Two burbs were great and one really sucked. I am back to stay, the kids are grown and I really love my city and even when we did not live here, we were very involved with Detroit community efforts. We are no heros, but if people sit around and hold their breath waiting for officials to resolve problems for them, they will die for lack of air.

Again civic involvement is critical, squeaky wheels do get greased.

Eric_c

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to know you agree, Sumas. I've never had a problem dealing with the city in Islandview Village. I guess it's anomalous, but the streetlights work, the trash is picked up and neighbors care. Go figure.

I don't recall the trash being dumped. Was is closer to Kercheval? No matter what, I'm glad it was resolved.

Incidently, where will you be doing your repair work? From previous postings of yours, am I correct to assume it's on Field? Which house, if you don't mind?

Sumas

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, yes on Field. The dumping occurred on Field by Waste Management Co. between Vernor and Kercheval. It was a very bizzare incident and was even covered by local news.

Eric, I sent a note to you on DY connect regarding property taxes. You may have missed it. I'll post it here on the next post.

We plan on a party for the house 100th birthday in June. Of course, you and yours are invited. My husband has your private e mail and will send details.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I read comments on this board, the more I am falling in love with Goat---AND I'M A GUY! He seems to constantly make sense; yet some criticize him.
Enough of the rationalizations of problems. I agree. That is why the region is the way it is.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad to know that you are totally gay for Goat. That would be an awesome band name by the way "Totally Gay for Goat". There is nothing specifically wrong with Goats ideas, and certainly some anger over the situation in Detroit is needed and important to creating change, but at some point that anger becomes too much it becomes all consuming and unproductive. So maybe just take a step back and count to ten.

Littering is terrible but just trying to lead by example and let people know what they are doing is wrong is the best we can do. Also pushing for enforcement of litter laws would be a good thing too.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 833
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you please get over it. Regionalism must happen if we are ever going to move Detroit forward. The duplication of services costs much more than a unified single system. If this region is ever going to move forward you are going to have to deal with it. Just like the Detroit city council is going to have to deal with giving up some control. We all have to give up something if we are ever going to move the city (please read region) forward. Also please stop thread jacking every single topic to this obsession you have over transit. If you want to talk about this issue please start your own thread.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just caught the Mack ave bus @ Woodward, It must be spring cause the trash can was sprouting. No really that can is pushing double capacity.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nowadays I'm not quite so limber, but when I still had the moves, I really LOVED leaning over and scooping up litter and tossing it back into the offender's car window.
One of those little joys of motorcycling in the city..
:-)

Eric_c

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - I responded in Connections. Sorry I missed your page.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when the Cass Park clean-up is scheduled for this Spring?

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fellow Michivan riders and I are planning a small trash pick-up on MLK Drive on Friday, April 3, 2009 from 3:30-5:00 p.m. We know that MKL Drive needs much more TLC than our efforts will produce, but we'd thought we'd try to help out a little bit. If you're interested in joining us, I believe that we're going to start at the corner of MLK and Woodward at 3:30 and make our way Southwest.

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Bump.

If you don't want to pick up the trash for those visiting our region this upcoming weekend, at least do it for the Spartans. While I bleed Maize and Blue, I think that it's great that MSU will be playing for the National Championship in D-town.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.