Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Velvet Peanut Butter is back! « Previous Next »
Archive through March 02, 2009Pffft30 03-02-09  1:00 pm
Archive through March 04, 2009Bigb2330 03-04-09  6:10 pm
Archive through March 11, 2009Pffft30 03-11-09  3:46 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2947
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Score! Not too many left on the shelf now, but maybe they have more in back.

From the label:

Velvet Peanut Butter Company, LLC is a Michigan Corporation.

Ingredients:

Peanuts, sugar, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils (rapeseed and cottonseed), salt

3 grams sugar per serving

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup, that's good.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last jar of Velvet has left the shelves at the Berkley Hiller's at 5:50PM.

Good reporting from Team Velvet... and thanks to the person who left the last jar even if the label was floppy!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit, I love it - Team Velvet!

You guys are like a tag team for sure!

Git out there and git your Velvet PB fix!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It tastes so good. And looking at the label takes me back to being a kid.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Yaktown!!! That picture brought such joy to my heart. Thanks so much :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't bother anyone that this product is being made in Georgia buy a husband/wife team that has contracted out the manufacturing process.

Velvet PB LLC is really a labeling or graphic design company, not a PB company. Just like the BadFrog Beer company was. They didn't brew beer, they made labels and sold t-shirts, contracted out the brewing to various contract brewers.

I like Velvet product, but I guess I'm a little surprised to learn that it isn't made in Michigan and therefore not really a local firm.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, gee, it's not a Michigan product... it's made in Georgia and the product's recipe is not the same as in the good old days. But we all have to buy it because of the name, the logo, and those cute little faces on the label. And mainly because it reminds us of when we were eight-year-olds.

Hey, at least it doesn't taste like shit, right, Gnome?

East_detroit

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Fury, you sure seem bitter about life.

No joy whatsoever?
Or is the joy in taking it away from others?
I know, I know, you're a "realist."

Meanwhile, Velvet guys should remove the first image from this page as it's misleading: http://velvetpeanutbutter.com/ home/

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, not bitter, East Detroit... just pointing out that everyone has opinions... and they are simply that -- OPINIONS. I have them, Gnome has them, Johnlodge has them, Urbanfisherman has them, you have them, and we're all entitled to express them here. Nobody is "right"... they're all just OPINIONS.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, of course you're entitled. Didn't say you were right or wrong, just seem bitter.

Not as much as SJ or Goat, but still bitter.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you find that the Velvet Peanut Butter Corporation LLC is just the label, not the peanut butter? And that it is manufactured elsewhere? Citations?

The re-founders are a Michigan couple who say they are interested in building the business in Michigan. Give it time. Maybe they are expats trying to come home, and maybe they are carpetbaggers trying to make a buck here. The stories don't prove it one way or another, and it seems we are free to make our own choice and enjoy and maybe promote the rebirth of a Michigan brand. Or not, in your case.

Here is a link to the WXYX story.

http://tinyurl.com/cxtgoy

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact phone number given on the web site is a Livonia number. Seems like it would be easy to call, or use the contact e-mail they gave us, to find out where they are making it if that is a big enough concern...

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My research led to Velvet falling under the ownership of Ralston-Purina, the jar on my shelf from the late 80's-early 90's was manufactured by Torbitt & Castleman, a Kentucky subsidiary of theirs

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Velvet Peanut Inc that was incorporated in 1957 or so and dissolved in 1987 on the state website for corporations.

Interestingly, the Velvet Peanut LLC had a Livonia Address for a registered agent in Michgan (a house?) but had the papers of incorporation sent to someone with the same last name in Atlanta. On Google Maps street view, this also appears to be a house.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bc s_corp/image.asp?FILE_TYPE=UCO &FILE_NAME=D200810\2008282\00000736.tif

Looks like a family may have gotten the rights to the name (or determined they were abandoned by the previous owner for lack of trade use) and then started this up out of their houses. One probably contracts with a private label manufacturer in GA to make the stuff and the other tries to get it sold up here........

Not wanting to be "bitter," but the question I have is where did they get the recipe? It appears not to be the same as the old one, or are there details missing? Did they just pick up the trademark and use another formula?

(Message edited by rooms222 on March 12, 2009)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh, that brings back memories. When they were sold to Ralston-Purina, it was the beginning of the end.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/topic/play_ window.php?audioType=Episode&a udioId=3540854

This is an interview with WWJ reporter, Jayne Bower, if the link doesn't work, you can go to wwj and search "Velvet". It takes a little digging into the wwj files. The interview occured 2/26/09.

Gazhekwe, didn't mean to rain on your parade. After blind taste-tests the GnomeHome has determined that Velvet has commisioned the making a superior product. We prefer it to Jif, Skippy and Kroger storebrand.

I was just surprised to learn that they aren't physically in Michigan. According to the interview, Mr. Bruce and family want to move back to Michigan to be closer to family; moreover, he expressed interest in resurrecting other products that have passed from the marketplace.

I admit to the speculation that the Bruce family is simply making labels, that speculation is based on some of lingo Mr. Bruce used in the above interview. Personally, I'm a little jealous. It seems like a good idea to tap into the nostalgia for a beloved brand, but if Mr. Bruce is thinking about other such brands, one can assume that he isn't an expert in the manufacturing of any of them; rather he his a smart guy who can read the market.

More power to him.

All storebrands do the same thing. They approach a manufacturer of X and put their label on it.

Many firms do the same thing. I mentioned Badfrog beer. They first contracted with the Frankenmuth Brewery to put their label a bottle. Mr. Kid Rock is doing the same thing with the Michigan Brewery in Webberville.

http://www.michiganbrewing.com /

In fact Gazhekwe, you too can have your own private labeled brew. The Michigan Brewery will apply your supplied labels on their beer. They told me they will do as few as a couple of cases. You give the labels, they stick them on. I, for one, look forward to tipping back a GazhekweAle at the next picnic.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, it will have to be Gazhekinini beer, because I don't like beer.

We haven't tasted Velvet yet, I am waiting to get through a jar of Smucker's Natural first. I am glad to hear it is good. We used to prefer it above all back when Gazhekimaajekiwis was a little guy. As more and more commercial brands seemed to add more sugar, we switched to natural, and for that, we prefer Koeze brand Cream-Nut, out of Grand Rapids.

Pffft

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hillers has more Velvet peanut butter...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090319/B IZ/903190382

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the Oakridge Markets now have Velvet peanut butter in stock 3-20-09

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13 mile and Groesbeck also has Mexican Coke and Pepsi in stock

(Message edited by popcanman55 on March 20, 2009)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2977
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhek family reports Velvet is as good as we remember it. Yum!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning, Fox 2 had a chef on who made a lamb stew. One of the ingredients was Velvet PB. Sounds interesting.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dp p/mornings/cooking_school/Spic y_Lamb_and_Peanut_Stew

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Gazhek family reports Velvet is as good as we remember it. Yum!"

NICE! I'm going out shopping today and I want to pick up some Velvet..best peanut butter EVER!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet will be in Kroger stores in about a month.

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ weather_man.htm

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 992
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet will be in Kroger stores in about a month.

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ weather_man.htm

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Ridge has Velvet in stock and on sale 2 for $5.

Westlandguy
Username: Westlandguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to shove some velvet peanut butter up my nose in the morning and then I can smell it all day. Has to be Velvet tho. It's the best!

Pffft

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velvet peanut butter on hot toast is the best, when it's half-melted...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I like to shove some velvet peanut butter up my nose in the morning and then I can smell it all day. Has to be Velvet tho. It's the best!<<

To each his own, I guess... ;-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my Velvet fix at Westborn Market in Dearborn. PBJ sandwich with Better Made chips and some Vernors was great. I used bread from Delray Baking in Taylor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.