Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Ham « Previous Next »
Archive through March 11, 2009Detroitchef30 03-11-09  5:53 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Palace on East Davison near 6 mile, not as good as Mike's on Michigan Avenue but it's close. I've heard Lile's on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn is good. Never been there though.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat off topic, but I buy the containers of the 10 oz ham that are bought in supermarkets, on sale. Nice water-free ham, and the containers are reusable for storage. Example - Reynolds/Glad.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7867
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen.
It was Hamms. I'm sure it's gone now, but my ex and I drove there from downriver in the late 70's on Sundays for breakfast then hitting the flea market in the old Montgomery Wards.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Country Boy in Hazel Park has a wonderful country ham breakfast. Yum!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: I'm thinking of a restaurant in the vicinity of E. Seven Mile Rd. near Hayes that was known for its ham cuisine. Can somebody come up with the name of this place? and whether it is still operating?
______________________________ ____________________

Kathleen, are you thinking about Hamm's Restaraunt on 7 Mile just west of Hayes? They moved out to Sterling Heights 20 years ago and have since closed down.

There also was Rocky's Ham King on Hayes one block south of 7 Mile, but they too closed down quite a few years ago.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Am bringing some folks up from Ohio and they want ham.<<

Funny they'd come to Detroit for ham. Don't they have ham in Ohio?

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's Famous Ham Place

http://detroit.metromix.com/restaurants/american/mikes-famous-ham-place-corktown-michigan-ave/350529/content

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The small restaurants designated specifically as ham places are, AFAIK, unique to Detroit. I grew up in Toledo and never saw one there, or in Cleveland or Chicago. There's the Ham Shoppe on St. Antoine if you're downtown, the aforementioned Mike's, and one on Fort Street, as well as a few others I believe. When I moved here, there were more, including the lamented Ham Heaven, which made it in to the Roadfood books. There's also the two-pound ham sandwich at the Allen Park Bar if you really want to go "whole hog" (sorry).

But does anyone know the history of the little ham counters in the city? I think they're quite characteristic.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you serious? We're actually a ham "mecca"?

Knock me over with a feather...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn ham is the best. I'm pretty sure they serve it at Mikes.I've been going to Mikes for at least 35 years. Went by there today. They are closed for vacation

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lile's is across from Dearborn City Hall on Michigan Ave. Pretty much the same as Mike's, even about the same size; youse gots your ham sanwich on a poppyseed kaiser, and your choice of bean or split pea soup, served to you about a minute after you order it. Been in business for decades, had a previous location on Michigan in Detroit many years ago.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Place on Davison around Joseph Campo

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Place on Davison around Joseph Campu

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Am bringing some folks up from Ohio and they want ham."

I can't stop laughing.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Sausage on Wyoming also has a seperate deli counter where you can get a fresh made to order sandwich. They're always busy at lunch time and when it's warm you can sit outside at the patio tables to eat. Don't forget to take a number right when you come in the door especially if you're going to the service counter for salads, meat, ham, and sausage.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jams and Detroitej72, for responding.

I think Detroitj72 hit the nail on the head with coming up with Rocky's Ham King. Only went there the one time, but it was memorable, both for the food and for the fact that it was a farewell brunch for my parents as they moved to Arizona where they lived for 10 years before returning home. Thanks for the memory jog!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9090
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, Lile's is the original ham place on Michigan Avenue...and when he moved to Dearborn he left quite a vacuum. I don't know if Mike was one of his partners or workers, but I suspect a previous relationship.

I haven't been into Lile's in twenty years, but clearly remember he had a shop in the city before moving to Dearborn.

He was and is the most 'famous' ham shop in Michigan Avenue...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love this thread, gives me ideas of food to get when the freeloaders move outta my basement.Dearborn Hams are allways a good Ham.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lived in Dearborn for a while before moving to the city... saw lile's but never went there... i need to visit the place that occupies their spot now!!

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lile's was in the same building as Mikes's.They moved to Dearborn in the 70's if I'm not mistaken.Both are very good.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Kowalski? most stores have aDeli counter-We have been getting hams there for years for the holidays just as good as honeybaked-a lot cheaper

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We're bring some folks down from Detroit to Ohio...and they want cheese....you MoFo's better have some...DAMMIT"

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Said it was like an assembly line and they used blow torches to give the outsides of the ham that particular look"

I think the use of blow torches to create the browned, glazed look and to create the crunchiness is pretty standard. Not defending it, I just think all or most of the glazed ham producers do it.

Lots of good suggestions here though...now I really want a ham sandwich!

Gannon

Post Number: 9093
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the confirmation, Luckycar.

Do you know if Mike was an ex-employee or merely an entrepreneur taking advantage of Lile's flight?

Ever since, I despised that 'famous' nomiker.

More I think about it, I vaguely remember Lile bitching softly about something to my mother when we went in there one time, he was too much a gentleman in front of the children to let us hear it. He was quite the character...always coming into the dining room to check on everyone.

Shame I stopped eating pork in quantities. This whole thread is giving me indigestion, actually! Heh.

Cheers

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrsHornist and I have bought both Honey Baked and Kowalski's. We both like the flavor, taste and price of the Kowalski hams. There are Kowalski stores scattered all over South east Michigan. There used to be a great "hole in the wall" called the Ham Place, first in Warren and then on Groesbeck in Fraser that served wonderful Ham and Cheese Omelets and Deli style Ham sandwiches, it's too bad they went out of business. That would be my pick, the ham was real and NOT injected with a bunch of water.

Spitcoff who reported on the Ham place at Davison & Joseph Compeau, is the menu like what I described? I would love to have another one of those Ham and Cheese Omelets...

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny's Ham King on W. Fort St. Don't know if it is still there or not, but they sure did make a good ham sandwich when I was still in Detroit.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's the one on Fort I was trying to think of. It has moved but is still on Fort.

BTW, my personal recommendation for these places is the split pea soup with ham.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9605
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the place on Joseph Campoweua called?

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Allen Park Bar had great ham sandwiches,not sure if they are still around. There was a place downtown called Ham Heaven but I'm sure it's long gone.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"nomiker"

Gannon, please tell me you were messing with our heads...

;-)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Hamm's that was downtown still there? It was over 20 years ago that I ate there, but the place was packed to the hilt.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7871
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another parking lot.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she's thinking about Ham Heaven not Hamms.

Ham Heaven closed up after the dust from the Hudson implosion filled their place with a fine silt. The dust stuck to every square inch of that grease trap.

They didn't cover their air ducts on the roof ...

Gannon

Post Number: 9097
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops.

Collateral Damage, huh Gnome?

Lodger, I don't do it on purpose! heh...I guess I should spell check now that it isn't automatic any longer...perhaps I'm slightly dyslexic, I meant moniker.

And no, I don't use that in general conversation, but words simpy pop into me head when I write. I even surprised myself by almost getting subcutaneous right yesterday when it flew out of my head through my fingers, and I didn't even know I knew that word. I was only one letter off.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silly Wabbit.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the first Honey Baked ham store opened about 45 years ago. My first office was around U of D and the Honey Baked store opened in a corner storefront on Fenkell, just East of Livernois as I recall. My wife and I didn't have any money then but always bought the ham when we could scrape some together. Before holidays, the line of people picking up their hams stretched down the block. It was started by a guy named Harry who claimed to have a patent on the spiral slicer. I used to pester him that he should open more stores and try franchising the business. I told him I and my partner would raise the money for him from our oil business investors. He wasn't remotely interested at the time but obviously changed his mind down the road.

Dearborn Ham was a knockoff that came up with a spiral product years later. They're good but still not as good as Honey Baked.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome....that's it...Ham Heaven. Thanks for correcting mymemory! Is that place still around?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoL, no, Ham Heaven in no more. It went to the porcine palace in the sky just a few months after the implosion. It is a small parking lot.

I heard the owners moved to NYC, but have nothing to back that up. The place was fantastic, in an oily formica and vinyl sort of way. I'm sure all the waitresses were named Marbel or Alfreda ... it was much more of a sit-down place than Mike's or Lyle's. No disrepect to either.

Cynthia_dudal
Username: Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CYNTHIA DUDAL IS A NEW MEMBER

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Cynthia Dudal!!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: