Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » When is Parking Ticket Amnesty Day? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a letter from the fair city for some parking tickets I thought I took care of. These are from as far back as '01 and '03. I don't know why it's taken them so long to get interested in these tickets but I'm confident I payed some of them. However, I figure rather than fighting them I might as well just wait for amnesty day. Does anyone know when it's coming up?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy should probably know. I'm sure she's already racked up a fair share since the last amnesty. LOL

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you do if you get a parking ticket and then notice that they transcribed one of the letters from your license plate incorrectly?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably not going to be one any time soon. the last Amnesty Day was in June 2008, and that was supposed to be the final one.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/16542194/detail.html

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do you do if you get a parking ticket and then notice that they transcribed one of the letters from your license plate incorrectly?"

It means you don't have to pay.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably not going to be one any time soon. the last Amnesty Day was in June 2008, and that was supposed to be the final one."

And that was said every time previously. But its not something to count on!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a thought...

Just pay the tickets. What makes you think you should get a discount after 5-7 years?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, first you should go back in your records and see if you did pay the tickets as you thought. If you did not, then why not pay them?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because why pay full price and penalties if going to be discounted!

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Madoff "discounted".

Guess it's called .... conscientious
Dirty laundry don't come clean.

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on March 12, 2009)

Enduro

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't exactly have a lot of guilt about some unpaid tix when I pay the 3-4 I get a year right away and no one has reached out to me for 5+ years when I didn't know I had these tickets. I'm not jumping out of my boots to pay them and I'll sleep just fine if I can just walk in and get the amnesty.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a lot of guilt about any such scheme to wrest money out of the citizenry. The fact that it can go up and down, be eliminated entirely, etc. tells me that it is not some honor-bound obligation - its just another tax. You have an obligation to pay as little tax to Ceasar as legal or possible.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is your feeling, please also feel free to take as little from the public coffers as possible, too.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9600
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the third time I've seen this exact same thread through the years.

When is parking amnesty?

Pay your tickets, a-hole!

etc.

Enduro

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay my taxes (33 years in this fine city) and I pay the tickets I know about. These are over 5 years old and this is the first I'm aware of them so back off. I'm not going on a guilt trip today.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up a couple
Trade your Mediterrainian/Baltic Ave.
for
Boardwalk/Park Place
...and tell your child that it was a smart move on his part.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have it on pretty good authority that there will not be any amnesties in the foreseeable future. That said, you should probably pay the thing off because I've noticed a fair number of boots around town lately. Just my two cents.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how many tickets you need before you are boot-eligible? Um, I'm asking for a friend.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that i've ever taken anything from "public coffers" - and I pay $300 extra now to get my garbage picked up!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is a tax--an idiot tax. Here's a thought, why not park legally?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9608
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Here's a thought, why not park legally?

Oh come on. You can debate his wanting amnesty or whatever, but everybody gets a parking ticket at some point in their life.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, living in Las Vegas is such a pleasure because there is plentiful free parking everywhere, including covered garages when the desert blazes. In fact, the only place in the whole valley I ever had a problem finding parking (and noticing cars ticketed) was at the University of Nevada Las Vegas when I took some continuing education courses there.

Which brings the question....why does "Higher Academia" and "Parking Problems" go together? I've never seen a college campus that has properly addressed the parking situation.

Oh...wait...those in charge are all college graduates, aren't they? Yeah, that explains it.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, I did...and it was paid. I didn't wait for amnesty.

Enduro

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugby, I was chatting about tickets at the bar tonight and word is that they're cracking down on old tickets which makes sense given the city's current situation. My issue, like I said, is I have no record of getting these three tickets and I've paid all my other tickets (always on time so I can get the discount). I've tried to pay parking tickets in person and it was a painful experience (they list their office as still being in the Book Tower for starters). Fighting one sounds like a regular hootenanny.

Sincerely,
The Boyscout Hating, Simple Minded, Jury Duty Dodgin', Illegal Parking Fetishist Enduro

Username: 48202

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you never got these tickets because someone took them off your windshield.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite parking ticket (that we didn't know about) was when my husband had jury duty. He parked in a paid lot. They must have been juggling cars and put ours on the street, then removed the ticket. Of course they refused to pay even though my husband had a dated receipt.

My second favorite parking situation was, I would let my teenaged son drive my car. He racked up close to $500 in parking tickets but never told me and disposed of any letters that would come while I was at work. My youngest son took pity on me when an officer of the court came to serve me. I paid the tickets but still shudder to think that if I had been pulled over I could have been jailed.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon48202,

According to the lady who answered the phone at the parking dept., cars don't get booted until the 6th ticket.
I asked because I had two outstanding tickets (now paid) and I've seen cars getting booted up and down in the Midtown area.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 823
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking scofflaws beware: Starting next week, you no longer can renew driver licenses after racking up six unpaid tickets, the same threshold for the dreaded, yellow boot.

For the first time in a decade, parking officials say they will use their full arsenal of collection tools to go after $30 million the city is owed in unpaid fines and penalties.

On Monday, the Secretary of State no longer will renew licenses of those who have at least six unpaid parking tickets or at least two unpaid citations for parking in handicapped spots in Detroit. The city has provided the state with a list of 4,400 names.

http://detnews.com/article/200 90320/METRO/903200393/1409/MET RO/Detroit+warns+scofflaws++Pa y+parking+tickets+or+lose+your +license

Sounds like the anti-amnesty program...

Colgatesmile
Username: Colgatesmile

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City of Detroit has payment plan for parking tickets
Wayne county and several courts have 50% amnesty for traffic infractions in the month of Apri

http://www.36thdistrictcourt.o rg/
http://www.36thdistrictcourt.o rg/traffic_amnesty%202009.pdf

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical Detroit mentality at work. Owe child support, utility bills, have a warrant out, owe parking traffic tickets? DO NOT PAY THEM! THE WORD IS OUT. YOU CRIMINALS AND SCOFFLAWS ARE NOW CALLING THE SHOTS. HOW MANY AMNESTY PROGRAMS DOES THIS MAKE? JUST WAIT LONG ENOUGH AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH A DISCOUNT FROM THE CITY. BOY ARE YOU PEOPLE WHO PAY YOUR DEBTS ON TIME EVER STUPID!!!

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>My second favorite parking situation was, I would let my teenaged son drive my car. He racked up close to $500 in parking tickets but never told me and disposed of any letters that would come while I was at work. My youngest son took pity on me when an officer of the court came to serve me. I paid the tickets but still shudder to think that if I had been pulled over I could have been jailed.<<

Sumas, did your son reimburse you for the tickets?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.