Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Sports Bars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking to watch the Michigan basketball game. What are your favorite sports bars in the city?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For folks in the Corridor, Lefty's is a pretty good spot. Other than that, folks by Wayne didn't have many options other than heading to Harry's.

Carman
Username: Carman

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z's Villa on Piquette at Woodward. New Center area. Not a "Sports Bar" but plenty of TVs and I am sure the game will be on.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks carman and sharmaal. Getting close to gametime. I'm sure their are some other favorites out there.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marge's, Grosse Pointe Park. Mack east of Alter.

Check on Red Wings schedule. Marge's is known as Hockeytown East.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Beer Comapny - Downtown

Hockeytown Cafe - Downtown

Leftys Lounge - Midtown

Bookies bar (former Bookies Tavern) - Downtown

plenty of other places, mainly downtown that you can hop into. I'm the sort of guy to stick with what works - so I tried a few, liked them and I haven't explored much since - I just continue to go to the same places

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6802
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to Spectadium?

I remember hearing about it years ago on the radio and never had the inkling to go there to check out a sports event. Is it still even in existence?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spectadium - at least the one on Crooks south of Big Beaver/I-75 - has been closed for a couple of years.

I wasn't much of a fan of it. The food was so-so and it just got too raucous on big game nights for me.

Coach's Corner in Harmonie Park is another downtown sports bar choice. Lots of room, plenty of tv's and a view outside

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spectadium is open again, sort of. It's called CJ Mahoney's now, a local chain. I haven't been there yet but have heard that they really spruced it up and kept the same layout. I'll be there for day one of the NCAA tourney next week.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to watch the games at Pappy's in Greektown.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pappy's had a whole lot more atmosphere when it was the Athens Bar. Pretty sterile now... but for what it is (a tourist place), it's OK.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Cheli's downtown? Their Dearborn place is pretty good, but I haven't inside their place right across from Comerica Park.

I was thinking about hanging out there during the Final Four. Worthwhile?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Harry's on Clifford? I'm not a big sports fan but have been with others and find the food there a cut above Cheli's and other sports bars I've been to.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any true sports bar has the sound of the primary game turned on and other games on the secondary screens. A lot of the chains, like Cheli's, often have music playing. They had better broadcast the sound for March madness!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's always your local Buffalo Wild Wings. Plenty of TV's and they usually stream the game broadcast through the overhead speakers. Hockeytown Cafe is fun. The Detroiter Bar is a fun place to watch sports, althought the number of patrons varies between 5 and 50, so it's a crap shoot if there's going ot be a crowd or not. The Bouzouki Sports Bar (according to the receipt) has plenty of tv's and halftime entertainment, however you will be hearing music and not the game over the speakers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.