Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » WDET & Ann Delisi- local music back on the air! » Archive through February 28, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 554
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

Well, it is 8 hours' worth, so it can't be that bad :-)

I had not moved to detroit yet when she went off the air on WDET, so I look forward to hearing her show for the first time.

You can find the new schedule on WDET's web site, I think.

I had the same kind of musical education listening to WDET as it sounds like you did, so if this will further it, I look forward to it. I only wish shows like this were podcast. (Oh well.) If nothing else, there is other interesting radio out there for palette-broadening if you look for it (hence my starting the other thread on the topic.)

O.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No, actually Jerry Stormer was. I worked at 'DET at the time, on weekends in fact, and knew both of them - still do. It was Storm's brainchild, Mike came up second..."

Whoa. That's odd. I was up there at the beginning of the program as well. Mike Halloran asked that I join him as he used our family's record collection to help start the program. I'm not going to go into it any further than that because I wasn't at WDET before Mike Halloran hosted "Radios In Motion." Just know that working with Mike in those early mornings long ago, he sure handled that program as if it was his baby.

Are you still in contact with Mike Halloran? Is he still in radio?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Halloran ended up at WKRP...he did the weather for Dr. Johnny Fever...
He's been in or near San Diego for years and is still in radio.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Glad to hear he's still in the business.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://wdetfm.org/docs/wdet-pr ogram-schedule-02232009.pdf

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WKRP? I always wanted to work with Bailey Quarters!

Seriously, it is good to see that Ann will be broadcasting on Saturday (after Cartalk) and Sunday afternoons.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit, When is the last time you heard Brave New Waves? From what I can gather, it's been off the air since 2006.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be good to have Delisi on the airwaves. Creative and a nice person, to boot.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed when Ann Delisi was on WRCJ, and WRCJ gets my donations right now. As much as I love locale programing, I hate when Ed Love goes on his rants, WRCJ's piped in jazz programs are much better. I am happy to hear that WDET is bringing back music. Now if they would only get rid of Amy Miller during Morning Edition, I can't stand her. She can't read news to save her life. I still love when she called Northwest Airlines Northwest Airlanes. She made me switch over to WUOM for my NPR fix.

Otter

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob,

what do you mean by Ed Love's rants? Can't figger it out.

O.

Otter

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

Also, thanks for mentioning WRCJ. Gives me some new jazz shows to try in the evenings. I love the Ed Love show (I'm sentimental, moved away last year, and it reminds me so much of Detroit) but I'm always happy to havea options.

O.

Otter

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

Also, thanks for mentioning WRCJ. Gives me some new jazz shows to try in the evenings. I love the Ed Love show (I'm sentimental, moved away last year, and it reminds me so much of Detroit) but I'm always happy to havea options.

O.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes Ed will get on a topic and rant about something, sometimes good, sometimes bad. In most cases someone did something to a jazz song he did not like. But I will take Ed Love's show in a heartbeat over no jazz. But I just prefer WRCJ's jazz offering because they throw in more modern jazz with the classic's whereas Ed Love tends towards the classic with being overly critical of anyone who does anything modern in jazz.

Bobl

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Ed Love's programs. What one person calls "rants" are what another might call "passionate opinions". Personality, passion, and an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz are what makes his show different from prepackaged pablum found elsewhere.
Be your good self, Mr. Love!!!

No criticism of WRCJ is implied here...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6637
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd toss in those "Ed Love rants" along with the "Martin Bandyke Los Lobos obsession" and the "Judy Adams' Hendrix fixations". If one listens to a radio personality long enough, one can easily see patterns. These are some very well informed musical people with their own likes/ dislikes of certain genres of music. I'd still take an hour of Ed's rants, Martin's Los Lobos, and Adams' Hendrix over commercial radio any day. Beyond that one long stretch, they still play all sorts of other innovative and eclectic music that you won't hear anywhere else.

I truly considered listening to these people when they were on WDET's golden musical era an educational experience. So much of my musical collection is skimmed from listening to these people- and yes, some of which I didn't like either. But for some of those gems, I value. And even the stuff I didn't particularly purchase for my collection I still learned to appreciate it.

Here's to hoping that WDET will be an informative and innovative voice in not just news but music as well.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martin's "Replacement" From the Detroit News:

The Black Friday layoffs last week at Cumulus Broadcasting included Ann Arbor's WQKL (107.1) morning host (and former WDET personality) Martin Bandyke; to add insult to injury it appears he's been replaced by an automated, "Doug"-like jukebox.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite era in WDET music history was relatively recent. In fact it was immediately preceding when DET chopped their last music shows. Early Sunday AM until early Monday AM. Start with Chris Felcyn, through Robert Jones, John Penny, Alan Mazuric and the DSO, to Kim Heron and Ralph Valdez. Top it all off with Lisa Copeland and it was a great day of music - local, world, blues, jazz, classical, gospel, and live music with interviews. Incomparable! I've had a few more favorite shows and personalities over the years but never a more complete and diverse line-up of music. An entire days worth. I've never listened to DET with any regularity since.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Pennie's show was great. I do miss him on the weekends.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6688
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit to missing John's show on weekends as well. He always had such an easy, happy-go-lucky demeanor. While I never met the man personally he came across as the fun loving, well kept neighbor that would lean over the fence and talk to you sort of guy. Great voice, great personality and a greater knowledge of music that he brought every weekend. It made for nice Sunday afternoons listening to the radio.

But while I miss John's cool manner on the radio, I'm also going to be looking forward to hearing Ann Delisi & her sultry tones on the radio soon too. We all seem to have our favorite WDET eras and personalities but things have evolved- some for the better and some not, but I do strongly agree that Detroit should have an eclectic intelligent mix of music on the free airwaves. It should have a unique flavor, be distinct from commercial radio (although still being keenly aware of it), and be a place for us the fans of music to be enlightened.

John's show did that very well and I have faith that Ann Delisi's show will do that as well.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very much agreed about John and his program. I was away at Michigan State for much of the time he was on the air, and was a loyal web listener every Sunday afternoon.

If I were ever to come upon a serious sum of money (lottery, inheritence), I would do two things: 1) Rehab a beautiful building in Detroit (Book Tower, perhaps) - fully aware that I might never make my money back, and 2) Start a not-for-profit radio station (much like WDET of many years ago), hiring many of the personalities mentioned in this thread. It would still operate on the public radio concept with listener contributions, but with enough backup capital to keep it fully funded in a down economy.

Then, use the rest for capital/living expenses to start my own business designing building automation systems, headquartered downtown.

One can dream, right?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6697
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a darn good dream there Wazootyman!

Count me in for listenership.

Otter

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kielson,

I think I agree with you. I especially enjoyed the eclecticism of Chris Felcyn's program. Could be Frank Sinatra, Beethoven and Buddy Holly one after the other.

O.

Halloran
Username: Halloran

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

greetings.

to set the record (pun) straight.

i was guest host on bandpass a few times after i started at wdet. stormer would take a vacation every once in a while, i would fill in.

i started at wdet in 1977 as a board op. sunday crack of dawn.

judy adams let me host a few pledge period shows in 1978, 1979. the show was originally called "rest aria" after the residents song.

after a few of the 10,000 dollars pledge period shows i went on weekly (very weakly) in 1979, super late at night from 1am to 3am. improved the skills and went to friday afternoons shortly thereafter. then back to a night slot.

the name of the show was "radios in motion" after the XTC song. i left 'det in 1982, moved to l.a. then back and re-started the show in 1983, then went nightly on wlbs 102.7 in mount clemens.

stormer did fill in on occasion, but the main co-hosts were carolyn striho, who worked at 'det and played in the cubes. mike marantic, amy attraction, and nikki news were regulars. but it was a cast of thousands that made the show work.

my main goal was to remember the goodwill of people like mark otis. he was the guy that trained me there, he was a sweetheart and i think about him often.

www.fm949sd.com is where i am at now.

www.youtube.com/nevertrustabun ny to see video clips of artists on the air.

thanks for the props

love to all.

remember mark otis r.i.p.

halloran

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for clarifying your history here, Mike. You're up there with Dave Dixon and Dick Thyne as one of my fave DJs who opened my ears up to the new music of it's time. I even have some cassettes of your show. Also, a cassette of the first U2 show at Harpo's you mentioned in the Forefront series. Thanks again.

Bobl

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mike. Always enjoyed your old shows on WDET.

Drbob7133
Username: Drbob7133

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter,, Liz Copeland is living in Denver and recently had her first baby.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Martin Bandyke has gotten his old job back!
http://www.martinbandyke.com/

Smogboy

Post Number: 6724
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day one of Ann Delisi being back on the WDET and it sounds great so far. Some fun eclectic stuff- some of it local and some of it just plain good music. Bravo to the new management to WDET for having the courage to air personality driven music again and thanks to them for raising the intellectual high bar of Detroit radio.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sounds good. I'm not crazy about her selection of music so far, but the nature of expanding musical, film and art boundaries is experiencing lots of stuff that's bad, so-so, good and exceptional (personally speaking) until you find the gems. Much like my years at the DFT. I always remember the great films. I'm hoping this doesn't mean the demise of Matt and Larry. I was at a concert at a coffee house in A2 a couple of weeks ago. The MC delivered a message from Matt Watroba announcing Folks Like Us was being moved to sundays along with the Arkansas Traveler. It was the first I'd heard of the move. The MC said, and I'm not sure if it was a quote from Matt, "Folks Like Us and The Arkansas Traveler were being moved to the graveyard of radio shows - sunday afternoon and evening'. Funny thing - sundays, all day, was my favorite listening time when WDET had an all sunday music line up. How much better than Chris Felcyn, Robert Jones, John Penny, Alan Muzuric(spelling?), Kim Heron, Ralph Valdez and Lisa Copeland did it get? I wish them well and I may return to listening to DET on a more regular basis now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6733
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive, I agree that some of the music that Ann is playing doesn't always strike a chord with me initially but it sure as heck still beats the snot out of the mindless dribble that regular radio feeds us. Shows like hers still intrigue me because it doesn't exactly cater to one genre too heavily. There's some diversity and in that effect I know I'm not going to like it all but I will more than likely be exposed to something I would've never heard anywhere else.

That's not to say that I don't like the genre based shows either; I think those are great as well but in smaller segments. Listening to shows like this and what some of the other WDET folks used to play in the day really informs us of new stuff and some undiscovered stuff.