Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Run for City Council? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I know I'm only 17 years old, but I really want to run for Detroit City Council after college. Asking a serious question. . .I am not African American. . Do you think I would have any chance at winning? I think you need 468 signatures or something close to that to be on the ballot.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you think I would have any chance at winning?

Depends what you change your name to. "Coleman Young" is taken already.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French - Don't worry what others think of you based on your skin. If you work hard enough and support the right issues, you can win. If people see that you are going to raise their standard of living and bring respect to the city, then they will see past your skin. Detroit's not filled with racist assholes - this region just paints us with that title.

French777

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Dcmorrision12!! I really hate that there is so much RED TAPE getting projects started. For Example the Riverfront Projects such as @water and Watermark took along time to receive approval.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling you'd like people to say yes and encourage you, but no, it is highly, highly unlikely you'd get elected.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being white and in your early to mid 20's you'd have zero chance of winning.

Try something easier like becoming the king of France.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is honest advice. I run into alot of young folks wanting to do something.

Move here first. Then, GET INVOLVED. Blight Busters, community gardens, whatever your passions. Be our neighbor, find out if you like the reality of Detroit as opposed to just the theory of it. Don't mean to be a dick, but that happens very often around here.

Get your degree or trade in order. Make connections. Work for another council person or official with their campaign throughout the process so you can learn politics (it's a tough, long game with lots of hours) and see if you're okay with living in a fishbowl. You accomplish nothing in life without other people.

I'm not going dismiss it off hand; Carl Levin after all was a city council person at one time in the past. White people DO get elected, but usually when they don't come in with polished shining armor and trying to "Fix" everything.

You want your neighbors to be pissed at you? Come in like some asshole telling them how to do everything. Treat folks with respect and realize you're part of the already existing community, and you'll most likely be fine.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends.

You'd have to steal a couple of Obama's tactics. For one, Obama campaigned deep in the U.S. and connected with white voters. He didn't just stick to urban cities with large black populations. Obama also ran a very slick campaign that took advantage of technology.

Possible? Yes. Easy? No!

You'd have to do a thorough demographics check and determine who are the people most likely to vote for you and why. Then you'd have to build alliances, which could be tricky. It would help to employ black people on your campaign and champion some black causes. It is what it is. Change is never easy.

People will tell you hell no it can't happen. But I don't think there has ever been a time when there wasn't at least 1 white person the council. In fact Maryann Mahaffey was council president at one point.

It can happen but it wouldn't be an easy task and one that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Oh, btw, what Digitalvision said!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3869
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777 - nothing is impossible. You're young and have your whole life ahead of you. Once you get to college there will be all sorts of ideas for you to wrap your head around. Take it all in. Get yourself enrolled in a debate club. The sooner the better. Learn public speaking and all of its finer points. Get yourself polished. Get really active in politics. Hone your skills. Politics is a messy business. Know your subjects inside and out, up and down. Take your time getting wise in the ways of the world.

Most of all, whatever you do - don't listen to anyone that tells you that you can't do something. Because you can. When someone tells you that you can't...shake it off, but let that make you stronger. Let that get you more determined than ever. Prove them wrong. Have confidence.

And keep your nose clean! Don't do anything stupid. It will come back to bite you...sure as shootin' - you'll be all nice and comfy one day and here comes something from your past. If you think you'll be able to get away with one itty bitty something - think again - cause it will take a chunk out of you. Learn from other people's mistakes.

It's all hard work, but if you want it bad enough it will come to you.

My 2 cents worth - go for it!

P.S. Just so you know, I would give this same advice to my grandchildren :-)

(Message edited by eriedearie on March 14, 2009)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4562
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777,

If you want to run for city council. Be a true Detroiter, stick with the Detroiters in the ghettohoods, tell about your principles and perform community services to those ghettohoods. Dom't jump ahead in Detroit city politics if you dont know how to serve the public and gain their trust. Keep studying more political science and you will find out what skills you need to run for public office. There is a lot of race cards and dirty tricks being played in Detroit city politics for years and some people will use these tactics to keep you out of politics. But whatever you do, fight those dirty tricks against your opponents, tell the Detroiters that your are going to progressive reformer with action and not a show horse who talks like Mister ED. Go for it French777, run for Detroit city council and Detroit will be knocking at your door to assist you of moving the city forward.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 575
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Change your name to Bozo the Clown and you might half have a chance.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French,
Don't listen to the negative nillies. I think most of the members on the board are of an older generation and have been jaded by their pasts. Our generation will not see the colors of the candidates, and we have very high hopes for this city. My parents are always telling me how Detroit is going to fail next, its like they are hardwired to expect for bad things to happen. I know that Detroit is changing, and I feel great about it.

I also love what digitalvision said.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Negative nillies?

You think that some fresh out of college, white kid from the suburbs could ever hope to win a city council seat?

Is French ready to hit the church circuit week in and week out? Who will donate the big dollars to the campaign? What platorm could he possible run on that would appeal to the lowest common denominator Detroit voter?

It wouldn't evern matter if he was the best candidate. This is the city that has elected and re-elected an honest to goodness retarded person to their school board.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 805
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a 55 year old white female. The assumption that all us old farts are jaded and racist to boot is just plain wrong. My generation was and are still active politically. To assume that only the young have a vision of racial equality and a better more peaceful world is simply naive.

I am a life long Detroiter by choice. My neighborhood is diverse. When it comes to quality of life issues, there are no color barricades.

If we go to a ward or district representation, you have a fair shot at acheiving your goals. Pick your neighborhood, then get involved in it. Money or color is less of an issue then is reputation. If you have the fire to rebuild Detroit then you need to do the legwork to lay a foundation through community inniatives. Roll up your sleeves and be a stakeholder.

However if you have dreams of waltzing in with "better" ideas on how to solve our problems without the community service I mentioned, than keep your white knight and steed ideas out of the city because you wouldn't last long at all.

If we went to a district representation in my area of town, I will be hard pressed to pick a candidate (should they choose to run). My choices would include a black female pastor, two white male community activists, a female hispanic area resident who believes in service to community and a recent multi ethnic transplant from a different state.

Good luck, hold your dreams close. Dare to dream but know you need to invest more than money in this town to get elected.

If we don't go to district representation, then I strongly suggest you change your name. Some suggestions might be: Mickey D, Mark Vandella, Kwame (anything) accent on the "me", Barack (anything), Joe Louis the 3rd, Rosie Parks, Donald Lob-singer, Gordy Barry, Marion Mahaffey Jr, Mel Rabid, Pastor (anything), Bill Bondsman, Devin Killtheman or my favorite our dog, King Putz.

One word of warning, "Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill everytime" Arm yourself if you choose this endeavor.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't change your name to L Brooks Patterson. Or Roman Gribbs 2.

But do get out there and try to get on a ballot.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not your name or color that will win you a seat. It's your IQ. If it's below 85, you'll win in a landslide.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best publicity you can get is to go to council meetings. Free, broadcast on the internet and on cable within the city, and anyone can speak during public discussion. It's an opportunity that can pay off greatly for a political newcomer.

Make a name for yourself. Take stands that are controversial, as long as you believe in them. As posters above have mentioned, obviously live and volunteer in the city. The first, a requirement to run for council, the second, well, because it's the right thing to do. Get your hands dirty.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, the fact that you want to run for council at your age makes you a great candidate in my opinion. My goals at age 17 were a bit more primal in nature. I am African-American and I dont think your race will be an issue, there are many voters in the area who think that the City Council has not had true leadership and vision since Maryanne Mahaffey passed. Your age might hinder you though. I would suggest you spin it like any other politician. Use your age and race to get notoriety from the media, lets face it, in recent years name recognition has been as important as any platform or agenda you may have. Good luck to you, and never let any outside force stop you from doing what you want to do.

Mzsuzuki
Username: Mzsuzuki

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a couple of political meet and greets last year and that is where I met a young white guy that was running for sheriff against Evans. He didn't win but he got his name out there and I am sure that people will remember him. He set himself apart from others.

French777

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I plan on going to Wayne State ( Def Staying in the Dorms!!) and going into Urban Planning/Political Science.. I really want to Help out Motown Blight Busters and Greening of Detroit and other ORGs that Help out Detroit!!

How's this Slogan

"Preserving the Past, While Investing in our Future! No past = No Future .

"French 777" for Detroit City Council

(Message edited by french777 on March 17, 2009)

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French 777 - I'd recommend living in an apartment near campus. I'm doing the same and I love it. It's safe and convenient to campus and woodward avenue - very walkable and close to MANY bus routes. The dorms get old real fast, I never stayed in them buy my gf did for a year and so did one of my roommates. It's perfectly safe to stay off campus, in case you were wondering. Been down here two years and I've never encountered anything dangerous... robbery, assualt... anything.

French777

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH no! I was Implying that I was NOT going to be a Commuter. . .I deff will be living off Campus after Freshman year!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, I would like to meet you one day. I made a facebook group called "[My name here] for Detroit City Council-2021". Of course, we'll see how that turns out.

I'm in the same predicament as you though...a white suburban kid, who wishes he were born in the city, the latter at least for me. I unfortunately go to OU, suburban to the core.

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on March 17, 2009)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember this? :

http://www.michigandaily.com/c ontent/districting-gets-red-li ght

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the slogan French-

Good luck on your political career!

<313>

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the slogan French-

Good luck on your political career!

<313>

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5120
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a great idea to post your real names on here guys.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DtownCityLover - I went for OU for my first year of college, and then switched to WSU right after. How do you like it there? I couldn't stand it... your right, suburban to the core and very boring. Only reason I went there was because it was close to my parents house and affordable.

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If one is intending to run for office, Pam, it's customary to let people know who you are. They don't allow screen names on a ballot.

Pam

Post Number: 5121
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If one is intending to run for office, Pam, it's customary to let people know who you are. They don't allow screen names on a ballot.

They aren't planning on running until years from now. If they want to possibly endure harassment in the short term, then by all means post your name.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison, I can stand OU, I can't say I like it. All of my OU friends though, are those suburbanite kids who either have never been into Detroit or go for the games. My aunt and my cousin have had problems in their educational past about transferring to WSU, so I just stuck with OU.

Pam, your right. Of course, it's not like I am on the run on anything.

Pam

Post Number: 5125
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Of course, it's not like I am on the run on anything.

I wasn't implying that. There are people who lurk here who might not be so nice as to leave personal info. alone.

French777

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha I live within like 1 mile of OU!

I couldn't Stand to live in The ROC anymore! That's why im going to Wayne Sate! (And because I love Detroit!)

French777

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of My Idea's for Detroit. . .

Not Necessarily in order!

1.) Neighborhood Stablization is just as important as a "New" Downtown.

2.) ALL help from the County,Region,State and Nation appreciated
Cobo

3. Belle Isle The City's Jewel should not be in the state of repair that it is now.
4. If the city is suffering then all Council officials and Mayor should take a pay cut

5.CUT TAXES FOR HOMEOWNERS!!

6. Make Residents Responsible for Upkeep To Property

7. Cut the Red Tape.. . Make Detroit a Small Business friendly city!
8. Downtown "More Touristy Friendly"

9. (Its kinda a dumb idea) Make a Plaza callled "International Plaza" where Flags of all the Langueges spoken in Michigan are displayed and some Basic facts of that country are displayed.

For Example "French Spoken in Michigan"
1. French Flag
2. Couple of Words in that language (Bonjour, Au Revoir, Salut!)
3. What part of the world is that language spoken in (France, Africa. . )
4. Ect. . . \

I know I am only in High School but those are just some of my ideas

Any Good?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any Good?

No, not really. Without going line-by-line down your list (it's nice outside), most of those are just platitudes. Nobody is against things like neighborhood stabilization, fixing Belle Isle, and cutting red tape. You haven't provided anything that shows how you expect to achieve those goals, given the city's budget crisis, the miserable local economy, continued exodus of the middle class, regional infighting, etc. What could you, as one of nine elected council members, realistically do to address the issues you've identified?

I know you probably won't be running for a decade or more (if you even still want to by then; a lot can change in ten years), but hey, I'm not the one who posted the list and solicited feedback on it.

BTW, a word of advice: When running a political campaign, it's generally not a good idea to publish things as part of your political platform that even you think are "kinda dumb." Just a suggestion. :-)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, I think your ideas are great, including the international plaza. Detroit is home to many different ethnic groups, and that is truly something to be proud of. I love your enthusiasm, and you will definitely have my vote. Don't ever let anybody discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I think you will be an excellent council member.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9644
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You haven't provided anything that shows how you expect to achieve those goals, given the city's budget crisis, the miserable local economy, continued exodus of the middle class, regional infighting, etc.

So in other words, he wrote a perfect platform for a Detroit City Council Candidate (or any other political office). Platitudes and no specifics.

Detroitred
Username: Detroitred

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Bearinabox. You are obviously a bright 17 year old, but I wouldn't be building a platform yet. First, make sure you like living in Detroit. Then, mature mentally and make a plan based on your new ideas. Based on my own personal experiences, you are about to make great strides in your maturity level and overall knowledge. I can tell you that I was a completely different person as a 21 year old college grad than I was as a 17 year old high school grad. You definitely have a lot to learn, and thats a good thing. If you really like Detroit politics, you'll have every opportunity to try your hand.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how some people respond to an enthusiastic, idealistic boy of 17 -- rather than admiring his energy and enthusiasm, offering productive advice and encouraging him, they give him the verbal equivalent of smashing him on the head. I think there are great things in store for French and I truly feel sorry for anyone that harbors such negative energy that they feel it necessary to pick him apart.

(No offense meant, Johnlodge and Detroitred -- my words were aimed at Bearinabox.)

(Message edited by Downtown_lady on March 17, 2009)

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an idea for you: go back to elementary school.

Learn how to spell. Learn the rules for capitalization and punctuation. Learn how to construct a sentence and the basics of grammar.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Negative energy? Pick him apart? He asked what people thought of his ideas. I'd be doing him a disservice to respond less than honestly.

BTW, I'm fairly enthusiastic and idealistic myself, and I'm not much older than he is. I have worked on political campaigns, though, and I seem to have more of a clue than he does about what works and what doesn't. I thought he might benefit from some honest advice. But if you'd rather have me praise him unconditionally so as not to hurt his feelings, then I invite you to join me in a rousing chorus of "YOU GO FRENCH!" Champagne will be provided.

Trayd
Username: Trayd

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, some of the responses here are truly amazing! French has great ideas about trying to better the city of Detroit. But to "attack" him for his ideas is a little much. He's SEVENTEEN! He doesn't even plan on running until he's outta college, etc. Give the kid a break! He is giving his take on what needs to be done from where he stands now. After he graduates and gets on track to run, I'm sure he's going to have a more in-depth platform...he may even change a lot of what he plans to do four years from now.

French - DO YOU! I think this is great! YOU are the type of person we need in the city. Your enthusiasm and drive is commendable. I say listen to the people here who have encouraged you to proceed with achieving your goal. There is a lot that you have to do if you want to make it happen. But if you are serious about changing Detroit, I wholeheartedly believe you can! Let's hope we can get more people like you to run.

French777

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the constructive criticism is good. I was honestly asking about the ideas.

Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't already done so, start volunteering with political campaigns. Phone bank. Go door-to-door for a candidate. Go to all the in-district coffee meetings that your state lawmakers hold. Go to city council meetings in your city to see how they are managed. Take political science classes in college. Learn Robert's Rules. Join the young Dems/Reps.

Downtown_lady, do you approve of these suggestions or are they too mean for your delicate sensibilities?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi French, I am happy that you are excited, ambitious, and interested, so I applaud you for that. I think your plan to study urban studies/planning and government is a great one based if you want to go into politics.

My number one suggestion, however, is that you volunteer/intern for either the Mayor's office or for one of the City Council members. You will not only learn more about politics and the city government (which will be invaluable), but you will also make connections, which are absolutely necessary unless you are rich. And even if you are rich, connections still make a huge difference. Good luck!

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear, where in my post did I say anything about praising him unconditionally? I also didn't say anything about being dishonest.

Urbanfisherman, do you have some kind of problem with what I posted earlier? I don't think that anything I posted was out of line. But since you asked, "Here is an idea for you: go back to elementary school" was kind of a bitchy thing to say. You asked my opinion, and I would hate to be less than honest with you.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I love how some people respond to an enthusiastic, idealistic boy of 17 -- rather than admiring his energy and enthusiasm, offering productive advice and encouraging him, they give him the verbal equivalent of smashing him on the head."

If he's determined to make a go out of this it shouldn't matter what some people on the Internet say. This is a message board, not a love in for some 17 year old white kid from the suburbs that wants to become a city council member in an overwhelmingly black city.

I couldn't get through that last sentence without laughing. It's absolutely absurd.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bear, where in my post did I say anything about praising him unconditionally? I also didn't say anything about being dishonest.

Okay, if you think I was right to be honest with him, let's get something straight: I'm not "picking him apart" because of my "negative energy," whatever that means. I'm throwing everything I know about him out the window and looking at his stated platform as though it were posted on the website of a legitimate candidate for City Council in the 2009 election. If I were him, that's the kind of feedback I would value--not a bunch of people telling me how great I am for being 17 and wanting to run for City Council ten years from now, but an honest perspective on what it would take to turn my platform into something solid I could use to run for office. If I want to know how great I am, I call my mom.

If French were so easily demoralized as to be put off by my post, and it doesn't sound like he is, he wouldn't last two seconds in Detroit politics. 17 or not, he should go in with his eyes open.

Pam

Post Number: 5130
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Here is an idea for you: go back to elementary school" was kind of a bitchy thing to say.

Maybe, but what he said after that was true. Language skills are important if you want people to take you seriously.

Kraig
Username: Kraig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the advice that you received for Crumbled Pavement and Digitalvision was extremely sound. There are a lot of disenfranchised people living in Detroit and the misconception is that we want people to speak for us when, in actuality, we want someone that's going to take the time to speak to us. If you really want to make an impression, speak to those groups that you feel you would have absolutely no chance of receiving their endorsement. You will be amazed at how many of their individual members you can win over. Additionally, learn the Charter and the City Code and how to propose amendments in a manner that will have positive results. I wish you luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.