Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cheryl Huff and her buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen mentioned in posts "Well its a Cheryl Huff Bldg" or "Huff and Puff" and not being from Detroit I have no clue what this refers to.
I do know one of the buildings she has that was nice - was vandalized and is now way back on taxes.

I guess they don't forfeit for 3 years but there are penalties and interest.

Has anyone dealt with her before? What is the significance of a "Cheryl Huff building"?

By the way I went (and would only go) through her realtor and the price is way too high but just wanted more info.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a landlord who owns several buildings and is notorious for not taking care of them.

Wobbly
Username: Wobbly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't maintain buildings, just collects the rent.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a big problem a few years back at 460 Prentis with blatant drug dealing, etc. I came across this review of her apartment and dealings with her:

http://www.apartmentreviews.ne t/ratings/michigan/detroit/460 -prentis-r42272.htm

Ocean2026

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all MBr wow I read that review you wrote as well.

The one I'm looking at is boarded up but could be nice so she's not getting any rent out of it. Well if it comes close to being forfeited maybe that will motivate her.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, nothing will motivate her. She's in it for the money.

Have you yet visited Detroit? I remember reading you're from out of town.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My plan is to visit this summer -when school is out for the kids.

I've only been there once before, and hopefully will have time to drive around the rustbelt. Things usually come up though- so one never knows. Had thought about it this week spring break but kids had events here.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little tip? Call us "the midwest" instead of "the rust belt" when ya make an actual appearance..
:-)

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Zrx_doug. I hate when the media (I'm looking at you, Los Angeles Times) does that!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should call them (Hollywood) "The Lust Belt"... :-)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheryl was once my landlord. The property had a rat the size of a cat in it that roamed freely through the house. Needless to say we were forced to leave and she kept our deposit.

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. I'm interested to hear more..... Anybody else have anything to say? I heard she lost a few buildings to the bank in the midtown area.....

Ocean2026

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes the building I looked into on Jefferson is now bank-owned. Rats as big as cats should pay rent- I'd hate to ask what they eat or what they don't eat.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has addresses of her buildings, could you post them? It would be great for those who might be looking to rent in the city if they knew where to avoid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.