Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cost plus wine? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to be an alarmist or anything, but I was worried when I stopped by Cost Plus at 5:30 yesterday and they were closed (Typically i Know them to be open until 6pm weekdays). Fabric was covering the windows and there were no signs in the windows anymore.

Please tell me they are renovating or something!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6114
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Cost Plus? Most of them closed months ago.
There are 5 left in Michigan. One in Ann Arbor, and 4 on the west side of the state:
Lansing, Portage, Grand Rapids and Grandville

(Message edited by jcole on March 18, 2009)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake is talking about the independent store with the same name in Eastern Market and if they are indeed closing I will be very bummed.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake- they use that fabric over the windows, when they are closed.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the owner Irish? National Holiday perhaps?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of the rumor-starters on this forum ever pick up a phone? A friendly woman just told me Cost Plus remains open Tues-Sat.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least this thread was titled properly. The word "Closed" wasn't used.

(Message edited by sharmaal on March 18, 2009)

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't the owner Irish? National Holiday perhaps?

Tim McCarthy is indeed quite Irish. So, yeah, perhaps there was some sort of holiday yesterday...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim retired, his son Dan is in charge

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

macknwarren-- i'm not a rumor starter. notice my lead-in "i don't want to be an alarmist..." it was a simple question. i've been out of town the past two weeks and could have missed news of a closing.

regardless, thanks for calling cost plus for me.

cheers!

(Message edited by lakesuperior on March 18, 2009)

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake: I didnt't mean to lash out at you, but I'm continually amazed ay how often this generally smart forum gets bogged down in speculating about things that are easily checked out.
By the way, I just passed the Book Cadillac and didnt't see anyone outside. Do you think it's closed?

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definitely closed. but i'll call and make sure for you. :-)

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you believe you can't buy Thunderbird wine in Detroit, or Michigan?

I did an "economy wine-tasting" party a couple months ago, and had to order The Bird from a place in New Jersey. Shipping was more than the rot-gut itself! I was able to find the Night Train, Sisco, Wild Irish Rose and M/D 20-20 locally.

I figured Cost Plus in Eastern Market (which I can see out my window!) was too classy to have these "wines" and I was right.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McCarthy's run a fine establishment. Glad to hear all is well.

I was hoping to see Tim along Michigan Avenue on Sunday but missed him. One of a kind that one!

Good wine and a fun stop when you are in the market. Make it a point to stop in.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5977
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market sells both Thunderbird AND Night Train. Both of them come in flavors now.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Old. My g/f and I spent an entire Saturday last fall hitting every liquor store we could find to no avail. I'll keep the Holiday Market in mind if I ever run out of the stuff, but neither bottle took much of a hit at the party. Seems one gulp was enough for each person to swear off the stuff for life. I forget which one, but one of 'em turns your lips and mouth black after awhile (some chemical in it). Yikes!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.