Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » It's official Martha Reeves has gone nutty « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the press is just messing with her for laughs now.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090318/M ETRO/903180450

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the fact that they are broadcasting from someplace called "J.B. Bamboozles" is much more unfortunate than the fact that they chose Warren over Detroit...

And how can she not know who Anderson Cooper is?!

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And how can she not know who Anderson Cooper is?!"

If she doesn't have cable TV, then she might not know. I don't have cable TV. The only reason I know who he is is when he's been on late night network talk shows.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Foxy, really.
Not everyone keeps up with the squadron of folks who make a living out of hosting TV shows.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, or with watching them; it's just that some of us don't give a damn about them.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9652
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he IS Gloria Vanderbilt's son.

Searay215
Username: Searay215

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for posting this again Rondinjp....didn't see it at first.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't have cable either-- and i haven't since i was 17 (i'm 32)! i don't know-- it just seems like if you are on detroit city council, you might work pretty hard to keep up on the news. and keeping up on the news as much as a city council member should would mean you know who anderson cooper is...

doesn't matter-- i was just surprised.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was an ABC News anchor for years.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still leaves him under my "don't give a damn" heading.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She might want to tune in CNN occasionally. While not the best source of news, their "Black in America" documentary was very well done. We all know she has a lot to learn about race relations. Did she even finish high school?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! And I h ad the pleasure of meeting Ms. Reeves recently @ the 50th Anniversary Motown Records celebration @ Borders in Dearborn.

Although she has reason to be upset with Jay Leno's FREE concerts being outside the city, just the fact that Jay Leno's giving a free concert here in Michigan is a big boost in itself (what's all the bitchin' about?). Now she pissed off about Anderson Cooper (claiming that she's never heard of him until now-how the hell is that possible?) doing a Detroit special in Warren. At least we got somebody comin' here!

Just one man's opinion!

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don: the "Black in America" series was NOT WELL DONE AT ALL. It was very unbalanced in terms of presenting the RANGE of perspectives in Black America across the issues it attempted to explore. Maybe the documentary was too ambitious in setting its objectives.

Lakesuperior: if Anderson Cooper is the measure of success in keeping up with the news, well er uh... Wow.... low bar.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WOW! And I h ad the pleasure of meeting Ms. Reeves recently @ the 50th Anniversary Motown Records celebration @ Borders in Dearborn.

Did Ms. Reeves demand that the celebration be moved to the Borders downtown?

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad Reeves doesn't understand that "Detroit" has a broader meaning than just the artificial municipal boundaries she presides over.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually think she has a valid point here. I mean, Detroit is the main campus of the metro area; it does seem appropriate that Cooper hold his news event in it as a backdrop. NYC has problems but they do the show from somewhere in Long Island???? Never gonna happen.

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before we go jumping to conclusions as to why AC360 chose Warren, I think it's best to wait to see what they focus on in the show. Don't forget that Obama's auto task force spent much of its time in metro Detroit in the suburbs because they wanted to get insight into what's in the pipeline for GM and Chrysler (i.e., those vehicles, strategies, etc. that will enable them to better compete going forward).

In addition, I think that we shouldn't downplay the role that the suburbs (e.g., Dearborn, Southfield, Troy, Auburn Hills, and Warren) play in this region. GM's tech center in Warren is huuuuge (as is Chrysler's in Auburn Hills) and is where billions of dollars of R & D are spent each year. In truth, the Motor City really is the Motor Region.

Lastly, the Long Island/NYC analogy doesn't hold water because the locus of economic activity in that region is squarely located in NYC (and specifically, Manhattan).

(Message edited by heedus on March 18, 2009)

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, assuming that Martha Reeves doesn't have cable or that Anderson Cooper isn't important enough in pop culture to know about, I would hope that Martha Reeves at least reads the Free Press or Detroit News daily. Both of their websites had prominent stories on his expected broadcast today in Metro Detroit early this morning (at least as early as 8 a.m.). If he was important enough to write a story about in both the Free Press and the Detroit News, then maybe he's important enough to do a google search on or ask a staffer who he is. This is especially true given her recent negative national attention regarding Jay Leno's show at the palace.

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Although she has reason to be upset with Jay Leno's FREE concerts being outside the city

No, Martha Reeves really doesn't have a reason to be upset about the fact that Jay Leno decided to host his free shows out at the Palace of Auburn Hills versus at a venue in Detroit.

There's more to it than just snubbing "Detroit" proper. For one, Leno's event planners know more about the demographics, venues, and ins and outs of planning the events than Reeves does.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think MR knows who Anderson Cooper is because she is too busy wallowing in Detroit self-pity. I live in Detroit also, but I just can't get myself to think like she does. Detroit has had years to dig itself out of the hole it's now in. Why wasn't she making noise 5-10-15 years ago? People might have taken her more seriously if she had said something about boosting Detroit when she was a singing star instead of now being connected to the Detroit City Clowncil. They are certainly comic entertainment but also a huge embarrassment to Detroit.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad to see a former Motown Star fall so far in the year of Motown's 50th birthday.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is it's something in the water at City Hall because the whole damned council has issues.
" Reeves said. "I don't know of Anderson Cooper". WTF don't know Windsor is in a foreign country. Unaware of the final four... Jeez oh Pete!

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, redemption; she's just gotta be happy about this!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090318/ENT10 /903180456

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone nutty? Hasn't she been there for years?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't she concerned about how Motown Records is based in L.A.?

Motown and Berry Gordy abandoned Detroit in a big way and for some reason get a free pass for the most part.

Too bad A.C. 360 is in Warren. Nothing automotive related there.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess whats across the street from AC360 broadcast, THE GM TECH CENTER!. Yep, nothing auto related in Warren. WTF?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shit. Thanks, Capt. Obvious.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another sad case of crying racism where none exists...

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm laying odds that she'll do some batshit crazy thing like playing the "political heavyweight" card or the "It's all about meeeee" card to attempt to get herself and her mug in front of the cameras.

Pity is that the police can't stop her, but Idol security surely will.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jay Leno situation could have been solved with a polite invitation to do another show in Detroit, for folks without the ability to get to the Palace.

A similar gesture could have been offered to Anderson Cooper, I am sure if a Detroit City Council member offered to help CNN they would jump at the chance, especially Martha Reeves!

The negative attitude, clouds creativity.

(Message edited by Dan on March 18, 2009)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some advice for the media: stop asking Martha F%ckin Reeves what she thinks about things, already.

She thinks she loves the city; she wouldn't know real city/civic love if it hit her in the face. She the perfect example of why many people tune out celebrities when they start talking about politics. She should have never been elected to the city council. It'd have saved her image, and more importantly, it'd have limited the damage she could do to the already ailing reputation of the City of Detroit.

You know, ironically, I'm of the same opinion as Martha. I'd like more media events and shows and everything else to take place within the boundaries of the city of Detroit just out of practical reasons. But, to get a shitty, whiney attitude about it is unbecoming a city council member.

I'd actually feel sorry for the old Vandella if I didn't realize how badly she's hurting the city's image.

Please, someone offer her a spot on "Dancing with the Stars" so she can begin to fade away back into obscurity like she was doing before her election to city council.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 18, 2009)

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me a clod, but the final four means nothing to me. Yah, I know it's a basketball thing, but beyond that? feh. Not everyone takes in life the same way.

Then again, I'm not sure she's keeping up via the Washington Post, or the New York Times, or many other ways to stay aware of the world. mmmm, nope. she's not. ;)

(Message edited by ptero on March 19, 2009)

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't Martha a part of American Idol's shoot today?

Why hasn't Martha planned her own version of a "stimulus" free concert in D-Town proper?

How is it that she is supposedly in "charge" of entertainment related activities for D-town, yet appears to be completely disconnected from "the business"?

Has anyone checked the water supply in the Coleman A. Young building for lead contamination?

It's real easy to sit around and bitch; physically making change is the kinda hard part, I guess -- too hard for M. Reeves apparently.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"thinking" is not Marth's strong suit.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn!

We've got the dumbest city council in the world!

<313>

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tell me you hit "enter" on that post sometime last year and you've just got a REAAAALLLY slow internet connection, 313...
:-)

Detroit313

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z-

Not all of them, but I truly think CC is getting stupider! ha

:-)

<313>

Detroit313

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a photo of the council member in the tiara talking to the mayor? I need it for my screensaver...

<313>

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>I am sure if a Detroit City Council member offered to help CNN they would jump at the chance, especially Martha Reeves!<<

Oh, puh-leeze!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.