Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit Times « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/96388.html?1237429 065

Trying to revive an old thread in the Active Archives section.
Anyone have an old copy of that Times that can tell me what the building's exact address was? I know it was at Cass and Times Sq. Addy should be on Page 2 near subscription rate info.
And Psip and Hornwrecker, do you remember where you got those Times photos? I'd love to get bigger versions of them for the history I'm compiling on the building.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for those wondering in the old thread, its last issue was Nov. 7, 1960. The building was used for the next 15 years to print the News before the plant in Sterling Heights opened. It was torn down three years later, in Feb. 1978. One of my favorite Kahn designs, and in my opinion his best newspaper building out of the four in Detroit (News, Free Press and the since-razed Transportation Building, which was the Freep's home before the one at Shelby and Lafayette.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PICS? I too have wondered about the building.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Times address in 1958 was 1370 Cass.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Times Building sat on the parking lot surrounding the Gaslight. It was a very nice looking building akin to the Detroit News Building on Lafayette.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some of the Detroit Times newspapers and the one dated July 5, 1957 says "Published every weekday, evening, and Sunday morning by The Detroit Times Division, Hearst Publishing Co., Inc.;; at 1225 Times Square Detroit, MI

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the building?

http://www.detroittransithisto ry.info/DDOT/DDOTTrivia.html

"The Detroit Times began publishing back in 1900. It was purchased by the William Randolph Hurst newspaper
chain in 1921. The Times continued publishing until November of 1960, when it was bought out and closed down
by one of its rivals—The Detroit News. The Times Building, built in 1929, was demolished during the 1970's."

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Hearst Publishing, the Hearst owned Seattle Post Intelligencer closed Tuesday morning after a 146 year run......

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is this the building?

That's it. Beautiful building.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i correct in assuming that the building was torn down solely for the purpose of surface parking? was there any attempt to save it at the time?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those images that my brother posted were captures from 16mm film, either from archive.org or from the film archives of one of the local television stations. Since he is no longer with us, the source and/or the original screen grabs are not available.

The image that I posted is from WSU's Virtual Motor City, which I forgot to post as the source of that image in the thread. There are a few other photos of Times Sq located there.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got some shots that I'll be putting up once I get the history done. I've got an interview set up with a former Detroit Times staffer and some more work to do on the building. I agree that this was a GORGEOUS building and cannot believe there isn't more info on it out there. There was a book published in 1963 called "The Death of a Newspaper: The Story of the Detroit Times." There are two copies at the DPL. Not sure if it's any good or not yet as I haven't gone up there to snag a copy yet.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The source for "Virtual Motor City" is the Reuther Library of Wayne State University, and their photographs are the Detroit News' old negative library which ironically includes some images from the Detroit Times (snapped up when they bought the Times).

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were a Times family. After the Times was bought by the News, my dad switched to the Free Press. Eventually, he started buying both the FP and the News.

To answer an earlier question, yes, the Times building was demo'd simply because there was no longer a use for it. Parking there, ever since.

Fury13

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I would guess that in the late '70s, a 1929 structure (especially one that wasn't even a skyscraper) wasn't considered particularly historic. Its removal probably wasn't thought of as much of a loss at that time.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rymes, I might be wrong, but I think the Detroit News continued printing out of the Lafayette building until moving the printing facility to Sterling Heights in 1973. Also Rymes, ask your former Times staffer how she/he were notified about the closing. I believe most employees were notified by Western Union in the middle of the night on November 7th, 1960.

Pffft

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Times was taken over in '60 (or was it '59) and I wasn't here then, but someone once told me that as a kid he preferred delivering the Times because it wasn't as huge as the Sunday Detroit News.
The Times was a tabloid too, not in the modern sense that it was the National Enquirer, but it was in that format, and the news was a bit racier than the broadsheets.
Detroit Times photographs had photos of gangsters lying in pools of blood, for example...

Fury13

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it WAS a Hearst paper...

Fury13

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some old copies of the Times from the WWII years ('43-'45) and they are broadsheets. Maybe it went to a tabloid format after that.

Pffft

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I'm not sure when it went tabloid. Or even if it always was a Hearst paper, hmmm.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker,
Would you mind if I used the shot of the sign above the doorway in our gallery? I'd credit you however you wanted. Pix of this building are so rare.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tb.gif

Just out of curiosity, is that the Times Building in the background of the top photo?

dn.gif

Bottom photo Detroit News 1942.
Both photos from the FSA/OWI Collection

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a Times about five yrs ago behind a bathroom wall of a house I was restoring on Holden (behind Motown) from 1914. Above the fold, Pope Pious (sp?) had just died, among events leading up to the war.

It was way too tattered to salvage.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went back over the papers that I have, I actually have different sections of The Detroit Times from different years. What happened was several years ago I purchased a box of old newspapers from a garage sale downriver and the person who had them collected the newspapers around WWII, and some in the 1950's.

One section I saw was when a dog went into space, another was for the D-Day invasion, and other times during the war.

It was interesting for WWII they listed the wounded and dead in the different areas for the military of the Detroit area.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OldGuy: The photo you posted shows the intersection of Griswold and Michigan, looking north up Griswold. I believe that building in your top photo is the Industrial Bank Building on Washington Blvd. and Grand River. The shorter building directly below the IBB would be the Farwell Building at Grand River and Shelby/Griswold.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side track ... and the pie-shaped building in the foreground is the famous 24 hour Kinsel's Drugstore.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinsels. Yeah. Stopped in there many times at 3 am for a pack of butts while I was working. It was there or a Clark gas station, the only other business place open at that hour. But Kinsels was a couple of cents a pack cheaper, like 24c compared to Clark's 27c.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've made some progress talking to some people who are the children of Detroit Times staffers, but most of them are dead. Anyone on here (Ray?) ever go inside it? Need help for my history.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Times print on pink newsprint? (At least it wasn't yellow.)

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a Times delivery boy in the late '30s. There was a sort of pecking order, and other bigger, older boys had already captured the more profitable News and Free Press routes.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not old enough to know that, Mackn. All the copies of it that I've seen are yellowed with age.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think I've seen the Times in both pink and green newsprint.

Pffft

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Times was taken over by the News, some Times staffers were sent telegrams in the middle of the night and told to come to the News building the next morning-- those the News wanted to hire. There were a fair number of them. Many desks and filing cabinets inside the News were from the Detroit Times as well.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it. It was a handsome building. Much like many others that've been torn down for parking.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig That 1kielson..Boy oh Boy if it was not for Photos and Documentation..Did many Times Reporters and Photo Men , Have Careers with other papers ...Ray1936 To me the Black and White photos, Tell a story above and beyond..Was the city as clean as it looks???

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the link mentioned above.

Yep, that is the Detroit times building. I whistle at that beauty.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art Deco remains unsurpassed in my opinion. Especially in Albert Khan's capable hands.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm worried about Jjaba, he should be all over this thread ... anyone have news?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Gnome. We haven't heard from him in quite a while. I may have to start riding each and every trip on the Dexter bus, just to see if I can come up with him.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen and Lowell, you guys hit the nails on the heads. The Industrial Bank building is now known as the Industrial or the Industrial Apartments. It's a senior facility. The Farwell building still sits at the corner of Grand River and Griswold across from the former Christian Science Reading Room. It was occupied mostly by artists until maybe 10 - 15 years ago. Last I saw, the CSRR was being redeveloped. Any news? I was in the Times building frequently as a youngster. My uncle worked there until the Times' demise. My father was a Times carrier and station manager.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow... this is such an education for someone like me who lives at grand river/washington and never saw the times bldg... thank you all so much (plus thank you for the link to the old wxyz "tell em you're from detroit" promo which i do remember growing up in Sterling Heights)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason I think I remember that building.My Dad always refers to the Times as "That RAG SHEET".

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kathleen and Lowell, you guys hit the nails on the heads. The Industrial Bank building is now known as the Industrial or the Industrial Apartments. It's a senior facility. The Farwell building still sits at the corner of Grand River and Griswold across from the former Christian Science Reading Room. It was occupied mostly by artists until maybe 10 - 15 years ago. Last I saw, the CSRR was being redeveloped. Any news? I was in the Times building frequently as a youngster. My uncle worked there until the Times' demise. My father was a Times carrier and station manager."

Farwell Building:
www.buildingsofdetroit.com/pla ces/farwell

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.