Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Bars with Ping Pong Tables? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any bars in the metro area with a ping pong table?

I know it's probably not the most conducive leisure activity for a bar to carry because of the space required and the fact that the ball can fly all over the place. But not being much of a pool player, I'd like the chance to play a couple of games over a cold one.

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foosball brother. More common at bars and definately a better game.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lager house

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PJ's Lager House Detroit, MI 48226 - Corktown
Hey Waz............I second that emotion !
Google this bar it sounds really fun !
(313) 961-4668
www.myspace.com/lagerhouse
happy first day of spring

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Waz, we have a fun group that plays on Monday nights at Lager House. Detroit Paddle Battle Ping Pong.

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPro file&friendID=54624612

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ljs had a ping pong table in the back room for awhile. not sure if it is still there...

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excalibur in Grosse Pointe Park near Alter typically has one outside in the summer. That's all I know.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small's in Hamtramck has a vintage Italian Fooseball table. It's free to play.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and when you're done playing ping pong, you can easily convert the table into beer pong

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along those lines, any bars with a shuffleboard or bowling machine still out there?

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe had a shuffleboard, not sure if it is still there.

Sjmes
Username: Sjmes

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Lights in New Center has a shuffleboard

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're talking about the table top shuffleboard, Dave and Busters in Utica has a few. I think Slap Sticks in Roseville still has one. Orleans in Mt Clemens also has a few.

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sports Venue in Westland has a pong table in the back - on the west side of Middlebelt, about 1/4 mile or so south of Warren. The ParkJoy at Joy road and West Parkway (a mile or so east of Telegraph) had shuffleboard years ago, but don't know if it's still open - been at least 15 years since I went there.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 996
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to a few Bars in my time and have yet to see a ping pong table in one.The North Shore Lounge in Houghton Lake was the last place I saw a shuffleboard table in a bar.Have to add the LAGER House to my list anyway.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6830
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered about the fragility of a ping pong table in a bar setting and the space required for a really good competitive game there. And not to mention the occasions where the ping pong ball is going to be shot across the room! As it is, places that have air hockey have been putting up nets around those areas in fear of flying air hockey pucks, but again- in a spirited air hockey game, the participants are close to the table. In ping pong (or if one wants to be correct "table tennis"), one has to be able to move all around the table a LOT more.

I've never seen a ping pong table at a bar but I wouldn't doubt the existence of one at a local tavern.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Newsroom on Dequindre at 9 1/2 Mile in Warren had a ping pong table a couple years ago. Not sure if they still do.

Can't think of the name of the place, a bar or small bowling alley on 9 Mile just west of Van Dyke has a long board.

Oh, I should add this: The Newsroom has horseshoe pits out back, they have leagues. Yippeee it's almost horseshoe season.

(Message edited by Alfie1a on March 22, 2009)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One night at the Lager House we were playing pong and the place was packed with people. They were lined up on both sides of the table and were getting smacked a lot. It stings for a few seconds, but no lasting damage from a ping pong ball strike to the head. Some of the crowd were actually enjoying getting hit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.