Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Cat stuck in a tree « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 982
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help! The neighbor's cat is stuck in a tree. The Michigan Humane Society can't help because they don't have a cherry picker. The DFD won't come out either. The cat is on a branch near the top of the tree, which is higher than a two story house, and she's been up there since Monday. Any suggestions (be kind)?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood? I bet we could get a news truck on how the firefighters won't come out before the truck - and the truck will magically come.

This is such a stereotypical job that a firefighter would do in any other municipality in the region.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try calling a news channel and a tree service - free good publicity.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 660
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone tried leaving containers of fresh water and cat food at the bottom of the tree, then backing off?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 984
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We put an open can of tuna at the base of the tree. No dice. This is near City Airport.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 426
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd start with going where the cherry pickers are, which means calling around to local tree services and sounding both real nice and real sad and worried. Maybe you can get someone to do it for a smile, a handshake and a tip. Also the utilities, although they probably have liability concerns. Still, if you can find a sympathetic crew somewhere around your area...

I assume if the cat's been up there for several days that Bobl's suggestion has already been tried. If the cat's been up there since Monday though it's probably pretty weak by now, and it may no longer have the strength or balance to get down. I would worry more about it falling at this point.

The TV/media suggestion is a really good one though, as it would probably prod someone into action. But I'd also strongly suggest trying anyone who may have a cherry-picker asap.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tree trimmers had always been very helpful when I worked as a bird rehabber. When we needed to put birds back in nests, or needed to rescue birds that were tangled in twine or other man-made materials, tree trimmers often helped out with their cherry pickers.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever seen a dead cat stuck in a tree?

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-C at-out-of-a-Tree

Ed_golick

Post Number: 985
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not my cat and not my tree, but I've given all of your suggestions to my neighbor and I'll let her pick the best option. I'll keep you posted.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 767
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any adventurous kids in the neighborhood?

Once when I was a kid the neighbor's dog chased my cat up a tree. I had to climb up the tree to retrieve my cat. Poor thing was so frightened that I had to pry her from a tree branch. Then she started clawing my shoulder as I climbed down.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, had the same problem a few years back. I climbed up as far as a could, got some supremely aged Stilton Cheese, and put a chunk of the cheese on a stick.

With cheese of stick, I stuck the cheese in the cat's face. I wasn't very gentle, but not by design.

I then left the wedge of cheese in the tree.

Sure 'nuff the cat went to the cheese. I did have to go back up and grab the cat, put it in a sack and climb down. It was not pretty

There is truth behind those old sayings, like, "Don't let the cat out of the bag."

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dogs don't get stuck in trees.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nor do they make song birds extinct

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogs think trees are bathrooms.

What kind of tuna did you put next to the tree? Was it in vegetable oil or natural in water?
Has the economy hit you so hard that you can't afford a real fish? Put one in a small aquarium so the cat can see him swimming. Its the excitement of the chase! that's how he got into the tree in the first place.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

dogs don't get stuck in trees.

Dogs can't even climb up trees.

Bobl

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogs have owners.
Cats have staff.

Hope this cat in tree episode has a happy ending.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 986
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,
I can't climb the tree. The branches start at about 30 feet. Your cheese idea sounds good, but I thought the cat chased the rat, the rat ate the cheese and the cheese stands alone. Hi ho the dairy o, the farmer in the dell.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there!
Ed_golick, I can't help you but good luck.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try shaking the tree.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dog climbed a liveoak tree last month. I had the other end of the leash so she couldn't get up too high. She was chasing a squirrel and the branches were just right for her to get about six feet up into the tree. I bet that squirrel was dumbfounded.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is going on with this cat? Has anyone who know the location called the news or anything? I feel terrible for the poor thing.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 987
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 isn't interested. Kitty is still stuck in the tree.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you actually called a media outlet! I thought it was joking suggestion! But if Fox 2 won't do it, no one else will.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor's cat climbed down from the roof onto a gutter of a 3 story apartment. We sent someone up a ladder, and as soon as they got to the cat, if freaked and jumped all the way down. It landed on it's side, but was fine after. I bet the cat will come down when it's hungry enough. Good luck

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Bibs, I can't remember the last cat skeleton I've seen in a tree.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QWGJb7qNEgc

Alley

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cat just ate some burning incense. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my cat walks up to me, stretches and then rips the nastiest fart, every stinkin' day!

Alley

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dog does that when he stands up to look out the window

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she also comes up and meows whenever i play guitar.

Alley

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah? well my cat smokes joints!
j/k

Ed_golick

Post Number: 988
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To give you an idea of how high up the cat is, those are electric wires near the bottom of the photo.

cat

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 6157
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know a cable repair guy? They usually have those bucket trucks.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet little pussy at the top of my tree,
won't you please come down to me?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fire department stopped getting cats out of trees years ago. The person on the phone will try to reassure you that eventually kitty will come down.

I didn't believe them, but on day-three that sonofabitch was at the door when I came over, ate for two hours, and then slept for the rest of the week. My customer is none the wiser.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 989
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day sevem and counting.

Rjk

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent an email (This link included) to the Animal Welfare Society of SE Michigan which is located in Madison Heights. Maybe they could help or at least come up with some ideas.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD NEWS! A neighbor shimmied up the tree like they climb the cocoanut trees in Hawaii and rescued the cat. Tiny is now enjoying a can of tuna fish. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and suggestions.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah!!!!!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) i'm glad

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww...that's great news! Glad the kitty is safe.

Bobl

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neighbor deserves a gas card or lunch for the effort...

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad kitty is ok! Hope s/he recovers from his/her adventure soon. One thing though for cat lovers out there. Be careful about feeding cats too much tuna. It his hard for them to digest and process some of the chemicals in it and there is a danger of mercury poisoning. Pretty slim chances but still, better safe than sorry.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we wouldn't want to poison our precious cats with the food we eat.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit YES!!!!!!!

Good news.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post a picture of that cat, so we can be forewarned.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, cats only have one kidney and because of the way their system is set up, they can't digest things even benign to humans. But a lot of high food chain fish ISN'T good for humans.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear the kitty is safe. The rescuer should be commended and rewarded in some way. I hope he didn't get scratched or bitten. Giving the cat a whole can of tuna might not be the wisest thing to do after a week without food or water, but I'd probably have done the same thing. And someone should have the cat neutered so it will be content as an indoor kitty and there won't be a repeat episode. Again...somehow...someone ought to reward the rescuer, even if only with a plate of cookies.

Rjk

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pics of this guy climbing the tree?

That looks like it would be one hell of a climb.
Then he descended the tree with cat in hand? Amazing.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rescuer deserves a tuna sub.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 620
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgirl3, I've heard that about tuna fish. Didn't know that about cats tho. Thanks.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. I was seriously bummed about this.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here, I was all ready to come to the rescue with my trusty Wrist Rocket..
:-)

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the cat is okay.

Bigb23

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_doug - funny, I still own one of those. And I have a Crabapple tree. Sweet.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY glad about the cat!

I once had to climb in to a diesel engine to rescue one of our cats. We were camping Up North and we had gotten harnesses for our skinny male and trailer-trash-fat female (her tummy wobbles when she runs). Our male, Lex, enjoyed a nice little walk around. The minute our female, Onyx, hit the ground she was out of the harness even thugh we had tightened it as much as possible. We were parked next to a huge diesel RV whose owners were gone for the day and evening was coming on. I could hear her mewing softly from inside the engine and we did not want to desert a black cat in the dark and cold. Luckily, I'm small and could squeeze in because she clung on for dear life and as I'd loosen one paw, another would grab on. Took us FOREVER to get her out and we were all filthy. Onyx doesn't go outside any more thugh Lex likes looking at fireflies in summer.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"dogs don't get stuck in trees."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.