Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » East Warren, Balduck Park, Alter park.?? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 23, 2009Lafontaine30 03-23-09  10:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Mrs. Markey at Marquette, too. Worst school memories, ever!!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia- would that be Dan Duggan?

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cynthia, the name casini, what would be the first name?

Eastsideirish
Username: Eastsideirish

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny Duggan was the man.

Anyone remember names like: Vandekerchove, Akers, Vandermarliere (sp?), Flanagan, Connelly, Marchand, Mazzone, Rochelle?

Eastsideirish

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Ashley I definitely remember Zilinski and their next door neighbors the Dionysopoulos; partied in their houses a few times.

Shiela Groth lived directly across the street from them.

Cynthia_dudal
Username: Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Eastsiderish I dont recognize those names at all that you inquired about..I dont recall Sheila or the Dio!!!!!!!! name either. Do you remember the Fowlers?? Judy, Dave, Richard and I cant remember the other one or ones. I hung out with Judy.
Cynthia works midnights and its time for bed..

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Duggan dated Renee and she lived on buckingham. She had a sister named Judy.
I loved Tom Duggan and I hated Renee. LOL
Then there was the Murray boys. Everybody was in trouble with the law that I knew!!

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Lafontaine about Mrs. Markey and she would grab my chin if I did not understand something.
Then Mr. Dilisio..He would grab you too. Then I had Mrs Pagota I think for Music.

I see about my house..Oh, so you were in my house!! LOL

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421 Peek A boo..Who are you??

Bluenote132003
Username: Bluenote132003

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Duggans and the Akers.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluenote...So, where did you know the duggans from??
They lived around the corner from me on outerdrive and I wanna say camden?? Not sure on the side street.

Bluenote132003

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia,
Danny and Bob used to hang out at a couple bars on Harper, Pappy's (now Cal's pizza), Guileford (?), Elams. Played pool with them quite a bit.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I recall those bars but I hung out in those after I stopped hanging with the duggans. Whatever happened to them? When or what was your last word on them?
I am waiting for the stock market to open and I am for sure going to bed...

Bluenote132003

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, haven't heard anything about them in years, wouldn't even know where to look.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluenote Who did you know from the bars?? Did you go to any bars toward outer drive and harper like Hills lounge or escapade?

Bluenote132003

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent a lot of time at Escapade with our pool league, Super Bowl partys, etc...Dugan's Irish pub was down on Harper, Irock (when they first opened), a lot of time at Harpos, Pace on Harper, Silvercup on Cadieux, Barbies and Red Carpet on E. Warren. There were a few of us that would head wherever we heard something happenning. John Scanlon and Ron Mitchell are a couple other names.

Eastsideirish

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Marcin

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiderish my immediate family is in law enforcement, and is always on the lookout for people and I have seen that picuture of Mark. LOL

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, I used to go to Angel Park a lot in the summer.
The canal along Alter Rd. was separated from the street by a steep hill covered in bushes and small trees with a narrow path along a chain-link fence on top. We used to ride our bikes along that path to the park, looking down on the cars going by. If you were to veer off that path it's not likely you'd fall into the street, the foliage was so thick, but was still something you didn't want to do.

When we were older the real action was happening at Angel Park. Still too young to drive, or to have friends who drove, I was in the bathroom there when a friendly hippie-type said to me: "C'mere kid, let me show you how a junkie cleans his "works", as he rinsed his syringe out in the sink.

It had to be in 1972 when the park was famously "busted". I was there, and recall how a large group of sailboats gathered in the river off the shore which was unusual. Several of us were walking towards them and away from the parking lot where the most action was happening. We weren't quite there yet when we heard all the police cars coming in and grabbing people and conducting searches, etc. We didn't want to get involved in all that so we went around the fence next to the boat launch that separated the park from the trailer park. The fence ran all the way to the shore even extending a foot or two out over the seawall.
The story was on the front page of the paper the next day.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KENNYD what street did you live on? I did not go to angel park til 79 or so.

Pgn421

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsideirish- Sean Flanaghan? Dave Conneley?

Eastsideirish

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421:

Correct. Sean Flanagan and Dave Connelly.

Sean seemed to know everyone in the neighborhood; younger, older, didn't matter. He was a walking encyclopedia of "Who's Who." He would surely know most of the names people have been dropping on this thread.

Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a Ron REIF or Ron EUREFF (sp??)from I wanna say unniversity street, or neff? He lived on one of those streets in that area.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that the Reif family who went to St Jude in the early 70's?

Pgn421

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsideirish- how about Kurt DeVries?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynthia: Your name sounds familiar, but not sure from where. I'm a few years older (Bishop Gallagher '75) and grew up on Three Mile Drive between Warren and Mack.

You mentioned the Carom Club and Nick. That would be Nick Markus, who was one of my Dad's closest friends!

Here's a DYes Hall of Fame thread that might be of interest:
Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo - Corner Of Neff and Warren E
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/92049.html?11704820 63

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6276
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God... so many familiar names... don't know where to start... I grew up on Marseilles (5900 block).

My mother used to clean houses for both Marquette teachers Mrs. Pagota and Mrs. Markey. I went to Mrs. Markey's funeral about 10 years ago (she was 89).

Did Mrs. Pagota check everyone in your music class's fingernails to make sure they were clean? :-) She used to live on Littlestone in Harper Woods and may still be alive (in her 80's).

I knew a Sherri Reif, who lived on Radnor (4th house from Berden).

As for the Pillon's... I went to school with Michael Pillon... weird high strung guy. I wasn't surprised when I found out that he committed suicide in Florida. Another suicide was Wayne Gotts on Lodewyck (5900 block), who had a brother Keith and sister Judy.

Is that the Dave Connelly who lived on University (near E. Warren), and was friends with Dennis Vandekirchove (who lived on Lodewyck just south of E. Warren)? I only knew them from Dave's younger brother John, whom I went to grad school with (and spent a summer semester in Oxford England with).

It is a small world...

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

There was another thread about the Balduck area awhile back and Michael Pillon was mentioned in that one, too. I don't want to bad-mouth him, but I have to agree with you about him. Different is all I can say.

Mrs Pagota and Mrs Markey were also mentioned in the old thread. Funny abou the fingernails, but in my case, it was Mrs. Markey who demeaned me in front of the whole class about my dirty hands. Good thing she couldn't see my feet!

Wayne Gotts was another guy I disliked. One day, he and a neighbor bully, Dave Monterosa, started a fight with me right on my front porch. Wayne broke the window on the front door. I called my mom at work and she came rushing home. She thought I said Wayne through ME through the front door. My dad was not happy with the guy and let him have it the next time he saw him.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I knew Wayne from the local dance clubs in the mid-70s. Did he have a fro way back then? And was good friends with Tony B.?

Pgn421

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistock- same Dave Connely, he works at Bon Secure(Beaumont)

Eastsideirish

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421 - Oh yeah, I knew Kurt DeVries. He grew up around the block from me on Marseilles and owned a landscaping service. He used to show up at Pete's Bar, before it became "JY's On the Avenue" and became a freak show like the bar scene from Star Wars.

Dave Connelly has a brother named John, but called Jay by people in the old neighborhood.

That entire area we are all talking about had a tremendous number of people with Belgian ancestry. The Vanbiesbroucks lived one block down from Kurt DeVries (John Vanbiesbrouck was an NHL goalie), and I knew at least 40 Belgian families living in the area bounded by University, Radnor, Chester and Mack.

Gistok - Yes, Dennis and Frank Vandekirchove lived on Lodewyck (a Belgian name itself) behind the Pony Keg.

Anyone read in the paper that those two idiots who own the Pony Keg got busted last month for paying people to steal liquor and cigarettes from stores along Mack Avenue and reselling it in their store? Not the first time they have gone astray of the law.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6279
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes lots of Belgians in that neighborhood... the number of pigeon coups in the area was amazing! :-)

I knew some other Belgians... Van Den Bussche (on Woodhall) and Guns (on Gateshead).

My favorite Marquette teacher was Mrs. Gardner, the librarian.

One of the Marquette kindergarten teachers Mrs. Canton was killed (along with her husband) by a driver as they were crossing a street while vacationing in upstate New York about 15 years ago.

Kathleen, yes Wayne Gotts did have a "fro" haircut back then...

Some of the other last names of folks I knew in the neighborhood surrounding Balduck Park were Head, Sienel, Sinhuber, Overman, Kosovec, Moon, Catalfio, Capranica, Groomes, Garvagila, Beattie, Wandrie, Augustin, Gillespie, Yamada, Fields, Dilks and Wolf.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gistok. For me, that is sad news about Wayne. He was always nice to me and my friends when we hung with him and his friends at Oliver's.

I knew the Vanbiesbroucks. Julian played football on the Cannon Tars with my brothers. Frank was in my class at Bishop Gallagher. John played baseball with my brothers on the Detroit PAL team that my Dad coached.

Anyone know the Laney sisters from Radnor a block below Warren? and Reed Stiers(sp?)?

Pgn421

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside- good old Petes bar. I used to frequent it. Kurt DeVries passed away 2 years ago.,pancreatic cancer.he cut down his landscape business. I got him a job where I used to work.He was a nice guy.I still can't believe, he is gone

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys mentioned Kurt DeVries who lived on Marseilles. I knew a Greg DeVries [he'd be about 58 now] who lived on Marseilles. Brothers, maybe, along with Bruce and a sister named Deb? Lived in the second house off Frankfort. I grew up at 5233 Farmbrook.

Pgn421

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkey- yes, those are Kurts brothers and sister. I met them at Kurts funeral

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never really knew Kurt. I haven't seen Greg in about 45 years. My sincere condolences to Greg, Bruce, and Deb. I'm sorry for their loss.

Pgn421

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkey- I think Greg is living in St. Clair Mich

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.