Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Preservation Wayne gearing up for 2009 Season--join us! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The folks on this forum love our city--there's no doubt about that! Have you thought of becoming a volunteer tour guide? A few posters on this forum are guides for Preservation Wayne (including myself). Why don't you join us? We have both regularly scheduled tours and special tours. Our tour season is from May 2nd until September 26th--with special tours offered throughout the season and in October.

Here are just a few of the tours we offer:

Auto Heritage May - September, 1st and 3rd Saturdays at 10AM

Cultural Center May - September, every Saturday at 10AM

Downtown May - September, every Saturday at 10AM
Downtown Buildings of Louis Kamper May - September, rotating Tuesdays at 5:30PM
Downtown Buildings of Albert Kahn May - September, rotating Tuesdays at 5:30PM
Downtown Sculptures, Fountains & Art May - September, rotating Tuesdays at 5:30PM
People Mover Tour, rotating Tuesdays at 5:30 PM

Downtown Skyscrapers May - September, rotating Tuesdays at 5:30PM

Eastern Market May - September, every Saturday at 10AM

East Ferry Avenue Offered Annually during Detroit Festival of the Arts

Midtown May - September, every Saturday at 10AM

Theater District Saturday, August 15, 2009

If you're a little nervous about being a tour guide, there are spots open for shepherds, too!

In 2009 we will also offer Saturday and Tuesday tours in October by appointment. Call 313-577-7674 or email info@preservationwayne.org.

Private Group Tours
Interested in booking a private group tour? Please contact us at least one month in advance to discuss opportunities to discover Detroit by foot or charter bus. Past custom tours include: Houses of Worship, Boston-Edison, and African-American Heritage.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6246
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be my 10th year as on site guide at the State/Filmore Theatre for the downtown Historic Movie Palace Tours.

I love being a guide... you get to go to places that regular visitors never get to see!

Some years the guides got to visit the 8th floor of the Fox Building.

Other years we got to visit all the floors of the Opera House, as well as go on the roof (where a rooftop garden theatre was once planned, but never implemented).

One of my favorite times was sitting with the organist at the Fox (up in the balcony slave organ console) while he's playing the mighty Fox Wurlitzer 4/36 organ for the tour visitors down below.

One year the guides got a private tour of the basements and mechanical areas of the Fox... awesome.

And you get to meet other forumers and the hoi poloi of Detroit preservation! :-)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 720
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard these Tours are really good!

French777

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish there was a Belle Isle Tour!?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchy, it's in the works.

French777

Post Number: 723
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet!! I would Love that tour!

I am Def going on at leased one of those tours this summer!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777: Come on down and take the Cultural Center tour! I'm the tour facilitator for that tour, and would enjoy some DYes'rs on my tour!!! I will try to post when I'm scheduled to lead the tour.

French777

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't even see that one when I glanced at the list!

Dumb question: How does that differ from the Midtown Tour?

Sounds Great!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cultural Center is adjacent to Wayne State University, encompassing 9-square blocks just east. Midtown is south of the WSU campus.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW..these walking tours make great gifts! Treat your mom or dad or grandparents or whoever to time with you on one of our walking tours and then grab lunch nearby and then maybe see more afterwards.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent idea, Kathleen. French, let me know when you plan to be one Saturday in Detroit. I'm the tour facilitator and one of the guides for the Automotive Heritage tour. I'm also a docent at the T-Plex. I'll take you on the tours and treat you to lunch afterwards.

You'll have to plan a Saturday with Kathleen and then with me. Our tours run at the same time.

;-)

French777

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Do!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a few years back PW did a Midtown Theatre Tour... Masonic Temple Theatre & Scottish Rite Theatre, Bonstelle, Orchestra Hall, Hillberry and DIA Theatre (I think I may have missed one or two in my list).

But didn't that one involve a minibus, and ended up being a one year only tour?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I remember going on that tour. We started at the Masonic Temple and ended up at the DIA Theatre. They did have a shuttle bus to get us back to the Masonic. I think that tour included lunch at the Majestic, didn't it? Could have been another one of Katherine's tours. I loved taking her tours, they always lasted longer than advertised because she had so much information about everything. One of the tours that started at the Masonic (may have been this one) also included a tour of Michael Farrell's Art House.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Theatre District Tour is scheduled for August 15, 2009. Lunch is included in this tour.

I'll find out more for you.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4413
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the skyscraper tour take you to any of the observation decks?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past, the only observation deck on the Skyscraper tour was the Penobscot Building's. Unfortunately it has been several years since that was possible. I have not heard of any observation deck being part of this year's Skyscraper tour. There was no mention of it at our annual PW Tour Season kickoff meeting on Saturday.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 614
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fiancee gave me a trip to Detroit for last year's theater tour and it was a great time. So French and anyone else, I highly recommend it. The tour is incredibly informative and you will get to see a side of downtown that would otherwise have been impossible.

I wish I was in the Detroit area so that I could do the tours, but hope to take advantage of another one soon. Thanks to all who volunteer!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.