Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Is the FREEP editorial board on crack? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So today the FREEP runs a pair of editorials pushing the agenda that the DETROIT mayor MUST inject himself into DPS, that it's the way of the future. Given the list of all the other pressing things the city's mayor has to do, thrusting upon him responsibility of the schools may be bursting his plate. The FREEP writes of mayoral candidates Bing and Cockrel: "They should make the issue a centerpiece of their platforms." WAIT! When the FREEP endorsed Evans in the primary, wasn't CRIME the number one issue and that was why the selected Evans? Incidentally, the Wayne County sheriff, unlike other sheriff's, has NO INVESTIGATORY power ... they run jails, street patrols and police the parks.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a complicated issue and not easily answered. However, as far as crime is concerned, the schools have a lot to do with it. You fix the school situation and you deal a huge blow to crime. Most crimes are committed for financial gain or out of stupidity. If criminals had the skills to be gainfully employed and were smarter than some of the stupid crimes they commit then the crime rate would drop drastically. More police is the short term solution, better schooling is the long term and sustainable solution.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on March 22, 2009)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 670
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Crumbled_pavement, but do not think it is the Mayor's job to run the schools. He needs to run the City, which is an enormous responsibility by itself.
I don't know the answer to the ridiculous state of the Detroit Public Schools, other than to suggest that sooner or later a regional approach will likely be needed.
The Detroit Free Press is looking more and more like the tabloid that it is soon to become.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I respectfully disagree, I think it was a responsible editorial by a paper thats trying to be in tune to the politics and governmental failures of our city. The Detroit public school system is as much a part of the city as the water or recreation department. I believe the editorial gave examples of other cities where improvements are being made by mayors controling the school district.

DPS has been failing our kids for years, and its mostly because of the form of governance as stated in the editorial. I am of the opinion that if something is truly not working you try something DIFFERENT, and you keep trying until you get the right formula in place.

To address one of urbanpioneer points, I too didn't understand the primary pick of Warren Evans either. Maybe the Freep editorial board had a change of opinion of what they felt the key platform issues should be coming from the candidates.

However I feel this time the editorial board has it right. I don't buy either of the arguments that the mayor has too much to do already, or it will just be a chance for the mayor to commit more fraud with contracts etc. With any mayor you run the risk that everything might not be on the up and up. There could be fraud in other city departments just like it could with the school district. The mayor would just like with any other city department, put a competent person in charge of the district.

You need to understand that the mayor taking over DPS puts Cockrel and Bing under some political exposure. Thats why both are lukewarm about taking it on. If the schools aren't working the voters are going to know that right away. Makes it kinda hard to keep your job if the voters aren't happy.

I say Bravo to the Freep for addressing a key problem with Detroit in such a non-traditional way.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . and I say Bravo to FirstAndTen for starting with three words not heard here often enough:
I respectfully disagree . . .

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for respectfully disagreeing that is a given here unless it's one of Blk hole's comment.

As for how the state of DPS goes, this might have been a lofty goal (mayoral takeover of DPS) it's long overdue and might passed it's time.

Then as for the State takeover, that too is a loose-loose moot point as the state is out of money and talent likewise.

It's nice to comment on something when it's too late as in closing the barn door after all the horses are gone, and complain about who left the door open and why someone else was responsible.

It is time for the Federal Government to take over DPS. What we need is the money and highly skilled talent only the federal government can provide. The failure of the DPS schools is not a city or state issue at this point, it is a national security issue that can only be tackled by a diverse and expensive resolution. Both of which I sadly feel is not currently at hand locally.

These are our kids for Christ sake, this is the future of our city, state and national structure. The time for learning on the job is passed and the failure will come with catastrophic results

Firstandten

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arne Duncan has hinted that there may be Federal help if Detroit did some things to indicate that its serious about reform. Having the mayor take over the schools, would send a strong message that the city wants to try a different way of doing things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A rne_Duncan

Purpleheart

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I am not a big fan of Arnie. I never figured him qualified to hold our nation’s highest educational post. We have the same background in sociology (mine BA from Cal-Berkeley, and his Harvard) and that is it!

As a sociologist we are NOT specialized in the training of the human mind where a psychologist PHD would be better suited. If fact we are idealy used when working for/under the direct supervision of a Psychologist. And as for having just an undergraduate degree I feel his skills are lacking in this area.

We can branch off in different specialized areas such as MSW or graduate work in Psychology but we are both unqualified in our present tense to be the Secretary of Education.

He is nice guy and I'd enjoy shooting some basketball with him, but his idea and mine would be entirely different. I probably couldn't get him to throw those balls up there so I could shoot them in the air. I prefer to shoot smaller targets because a ball that size is too easy. Kind of why I like to shoot golf, they make harder targets.

Firstandten

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you give your field of expertise enough credit. Social interactions is a part of everything we do. Whats more important to me is that someone has a vision of how things might work and is smart enough to find the pieces needed to make that vision come about. I don't consider the Secretary of Education as needing specialized skills like a brain surgeon or engineer.

To carry the thinking further, only a career politican would be qualified to be president, certainly not a community organizer/civil rights atty/constitional law professor.

In todays world in which complicated areas like education reform have multiple and varied approaches for solutions who's better than a sociology major.

Purpleheart

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]To carry the thinking further, only a career politican would be qualified to be president, certainly not a community organizer/civil rights atty/constitional law professor.[end quote FirstandTen]

Touche!

I'll give him some time as I will for all our elected and appointed officials of this administration. I like your assumptions about Arnie and look forward to his good work.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the FREEP editorial board on crack?"

You know, anything is possible these days. Editors are a high strung bunch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.