Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Spring trash « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wowzersmeowzers
Username: Wowzersmeowzers

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the only down sides to the snow melting is you once again see the trash and litter problem in Detroit. Shouldn't buildings be more responsible for the trash on their sidewalks and surrounding their buildings? I know the building I live in is really bad. I feel bad walking my dog around because she has to walk through so much broken glass, liquor bottles, and chip bags. What can be done?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree there is responsibility for property appearance. In Chicago, for instance, each storefront is policed by people who work there. It seems to be a regular part of their day.

Since you live in the building, why not do your part and pick up some junk while you are out with your dog?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick it up. Seriously, showing others you care may touch something inside them to do the same.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought about cleaning up the empty lot next to me once, but i don't really feel like doing the ambassador bridge company any favors

Wowzersmeowzers
Username: Wowzersmeowzers

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I probably should start picking it up, but there is seriously so much and it is so gross and the people who live in my building should be adults and have more respect for where they live.
My building is big and a lot of people live there.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plan a day and I will come help.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i said the same thing the other day, the snow was hiding so much trash. i couldn't take it anymore. so yesterday, i decided that since it bothered me so much, i would pick up the trash on two properties. one is right across the street and the other is behind us. both homes are vacant and the trash is horrible. i couldn't finish the one behind me but i'll be right back out there today to finish the back yard. i already filled two huge bags of trash.

it's really difficult to be off a main road and on the corner cause it seems like we get most of the trash. but, i agree that maybe it will encourage my neighbors to clean up around their yard and maybe even adopt a house or two around them. i always say that although it's hard to do anything about the vacant, burned, vandalized homes around us, things would look a lot better without all the trash. if we could just stop people from littering and not caring.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, if you fill up a bag every time you take out the dog, you will be surprised how fast it will show the difference. I am doing that in my neighborhood now, and it adds up, one bag at a time. I am also working on one of my neighbors to clean up his own lawn, since he is over here looking for coffee talk all the time. Talk to your neighbors and see if you can enlist help.

Be sure to wear gloves, and maybe once in awhile, take a piece of cardboard to brush-kick broken glass onto so you don't cut yourself.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think its bad here you should visit Chicago in the spring. It's much worse. They keep the tourist areas cleaned up but the neighborhoods are terrible.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyday for the last five years, I've pulled up in front of my property and picked of any scrap of trash that blows by - gum wrappers, cigarette butts, you name it. If it's not "natural" or doesn't belong there, I pick it up. I tend both sides of the street.

I look in the snow, too. In the spring and then in the fall, I do a big clean-up of the curb where I collect any fallen leaves or other debris that's blown in.

I also clean my corner lot and mow it every two weeks in the summer, picking up trash before I cut.

Granted, it's just single family homes as opposed to an apartment, but it keeps things looking good and doesn't take a ton of effort. Once the big clean-ups are done twice a year, it literally becomes just looking for and snagging scraps every so often.

I'm certainly proud of how it looks and I think the neighbors appreciate it too.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wowzersmeowzers, I bet you live in a Boydell building?

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the downtown cleanup group that was operated by Penske before and after the super bowl still around?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rondinjp
Username: Rondinjp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:50 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Is the downtown cleanup group that was operated by Penske before and after the super bowl still around?

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Yes, Ron , it is.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you ask your apartment manager to place a large wastebin outside your building? Tell them that if a child gets cut by glass or "little old lady" slips & falls due to a wet potato chip bag, they could be sued.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get yourself a five gallon bucket and one of these. It makes the job so much easier!

http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-GO P2-MC18-Gopher-Pick-Reaching/d p/B00144L4LK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?i e=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1237838697&sr =8-1

You can pickup a cigarette butt or a brick without bending over. Also you don't have to touch a thing.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for my apartment complex, right in Detroit, near the WSU campus. It's company policy to walk the property everyday and pick up trash - this is at every location they own across the state. I do it more for the sake of enjoying a clean neighborhood.

But - If you have a serious garbage problem. Let me know and I can speak to SEAL (the environmental group I am a part of) and also Wayne State (I'm a member of the faculty/administrators environment group) and see if we can make it down to do a clean up

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sort of bemused by much of this discussion of what to do about trash. "I see all this trash around my building and I don't like it! What can I do?"

Sort of reminds me of 18-year-old kids who want to show their support for the War on Terror. "But what do we do? We're just 18-year-old, able-bodied, healthy young kids fresh out of high school!" Ummm ...

Yes, if it bothers you, join the fight: Pick it up and throw it out. :-)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 833
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a side note, I've noticed more trash this Spring than normal. Not sure if it's because folks are becoming more filthy, or if it's because we never had a mid winter melting of snow followed by a strong wind to disperse the stuff around.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did my part today and Pope park is cleaner for it, at least it was during the lunch hour.

Not littering isn't enough, we need more garbage picker uppers to combat the pig people.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always though it would be a good idea to have low risk inmates pick up trash on the side of the freeway.

Give them two days credit for one 10 hour day worked.

Win. Win.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.