Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Aldo Vagnozzi 1925-2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is with great sadness to learn that Aldo Vagnozzi, former Farmington/FH State Representative and FH Mayor passed on Sunday, March 22, 2009.

I have chosen to post this picture of Aldo marching in the Farmington Memorial Day parade in his World War II uniform because it underlines his great service to his country and his community.

Aldo Vagnozzi

It also illustrates Aldo the walking man, the candidate, who when his age was questioned, famously strapped his boots on and walked the seventy miles from Farmington to Lansing to launch his second campaign for State Representative.

In his first campaign for State Rep in 2000, when he began the first of his long walks that would take him to every household in his district, by sheer chance the first door he knocked on was mine. I became an instant supporter and convinced him that he needed a website and I would volunteer to build it. www.aldovagnozzi.com

We became good friends and it was my pleasure to work closely with him in all four of his campaigns.

I think all who knew Aldo would agree with me that he was the ideal candidate. His disarming charm, candor and sense of humor made him a joy to be around. His campaigns were paragons of civility that won him respect from supporters and opponents alike.

So farewell to a true 'little big man' [he was about 5'2"]. You have won our hearts and minds and will be greatly missed..

Click here for an extended bio and funeral arrangements.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5985
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sad. I loved Aldo dearly (all the women loved Aldo!) - a warm and wonderful man and a true progressive. Godspeed, Aldo.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like he was an admirable man. It is unfortunate that we are losing so many of those who served us during WWII and afterwards. May he rest in peace.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only met with Aldo a couple of times, but he certainly made a positive impression. I didn't know he had walked to Lansing.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking doors is still the best way to get votes, and lots of fun too. This guy seems nice !

I ran against the President of our school board and walked doors with my two kids 15 and 7 and the older one made a tv commercial about it "Its a family campaign" featuring my little girl claiming she enjoyed knocking on doors and letting the pets loose- all with video.

I bet it would really be interesting walking Detroit.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, thanks for sharing this.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Lowell
I depend on internet sources to keep up with the old neighborhood(s) since leaving Michigan.
I hope noone will 'flame'Aldo posthumously.
He was a great mayor and council member in Farmington Hills, was my 'liason' to city departments more than a few times for my restaurant.
And as a State Representative- well, he was very loyal to his party, perhaps to a fault- Whatever Jennifer wants...
Yet when I told him I wouldn't vote for him for the state house due to his support for some issues I didn't share, he was still friendly as ever, saying that's America, we can all speak our own opinions and vote our choice.
Same with the church- the Pastor would not support Aldo politically due to abortion. Aldo did not budge and remained a friend of the Pastor(also RIP) and continued to serve there as an usher and greeter.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710: I agree with your statement:
"It is unfortunate that we are losing so many of those who served us during WWII and afterwards."

They were, in fact, the "Greatest Generation".

Aldo Vagnozzi will be missed.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldo was a sweetheart, always charming with his warm smile.

RIP.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A longtime family friend - I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Aldo was a warm, thoughtful, and deeply kind human being, and he will be greatly missed by many people, both those who came into contact with him in his role as a public servant and those of us who had the joy to know him more personally.

One of the great things about Aldo was that he started his political career as his retirement project, after many years in organized labor, primarily as a journalist. Condolences to his children, grandchildren, and all of his loved ones.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived a block away from the Vaggnozis in the 60's, who were my parents' bowling partners for a while. Always a happy guy!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldo is walking his way to heaven knocking on every door in between with his winning smile and charming demeanor.

Aldo thank you for your years of service to the community, the union brothers and sisters and our state. God speed to you my dear friend.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: