Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Ackroyd's Scotch Bakery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here shop at Ackroyd's Scotch Bakery in Redford? They used to have a shop on Whittier when I was growning up, and I loved their round, hard sided meat pies. They've been on my mind lately, and I found they have a website that is evidently just under construction but I gather that they do ship. Sounds like they are the only Scotch bakery in the country! I want some of those meat pies!! If shipping isn't too much, I hope to order some.

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to shop there all the time when I lived around 6 Mile and Telegraph. They must be redesigning their website. The last time I looked at it, it did say that they shipped. Gonna have to stop in when I'm home in May.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm only a couple miles away, so I get by Ackroyd's once or twice a month when I feel the urge to do the meat pie/pasty thing.
Good stuff!
To be honest, I had no idea they had a website OR delivery..

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were good, My Dad thought so too. Except every pasty he eats He says "Not as good as the U.P.".

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they aren't supposed to be the same as those in the U.P.! These are Scotch (Scottish?). Don't have rutabaga in them, for one thing. I hope their website is up and running again soon. I'm definitely going to order some meat pies, and bridies if the have them.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder he likes yooper pasties.Have to stop in there one day.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ackroyd's has good stuff.

For a decent U.P. pasty, try Barb's in Clawson.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shop there also. Love those meat pies. Also Barb's Pasties in Clawson is good. The beef pasties are authentic, take it from another Yooper in exile.

Ancestor_hunter
Username: Ancestor_hunter

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ackroyd's sells Scottish meat pies. They are a different "animal" than Pasties. The filling is a bit different and the pastry is more of a puff pastry than pie crust, whereas the pasty has rutabaga in the filling and the crust is more of a pie crust. Personally, I enjoy both. Living out of state, I can't get either "species" and I miss both of them.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Ackroyd's sells both.
:-)
And lots of other goodies as well. Dangit..you guys are makin' me hungry, and my food budget for the day is leaning more towards "balogna sammich" than ANYTHING prepared elsewhere..
:-(
Least my sammich is on West Fenkell Bakery bread..(mmmm..multi-grain goodness.)
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: