Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The Detroit Intermodal Transportation complex « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm noticing lots of ativity and word of mouth about current signs of construction of a Transit hub just south of the amtrak station tracks between woodward and cass. The building will consist of 100,000sq ft. modern state-of-the-art facility to assist the Detroit-Ann Arbor rail line, Amtrak, Hybrid bus systems, and of course the M-1 Woodward lightrail system.

Is this a hopeful promise that we will see mass transit sooner as expected? Also with CCS presence across the street will enhance that area well. Techtowns expanding and New Center is attracting residents and business alike recently, with more project on the way.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't we have an intermodal porthole already?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's possible to design a 100,000-square-foot "transit" station that sucks ass, that costs millions of dollars to build and has all the charm of a Holiday Inn lobby, you can count on Wayne State, the Midtown folks, and the development honchos to come up with a plan that does the job.

Maybe I'm too disillusioned, but I have zero confidence in something with such a long and unwieldy name. Shit, they've only allocated, what?, $11 million? And it's only in the planning phase. There's a part of me that suspects they're just talking it up so they can distract people from demolishing Michigan Central Station.

How much to you want to bet that they build a modular piece-of-shit building with a vast parking lot? And berm it off to protect it from, you know, the surrounding neighborhood.

Needless to say, I have very low expectations.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not demolish Michigan Central already. This place is bullshit.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my point of view is that they won't build a vast parking lot around it. Maybe a temporary parking lot, but more than likely they will use the parking structures already in New Center, plus the new one being built for CCS. Once the Ann Arbor - Detroit line is in place and the DTOGS/M1- Rail (REMEMBER, THERE ARE TWO PLANS, NOT ONE) has been constructed, that land will be very valuable, it wouldn't make sense to have a vast parking lot. You'd make more money renting the space out to retail/commercial

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gee, the first three responses reminds me why I don't expect much intellectual thinking to take place here when it comes to mass transit.

I for one not only believe this will happen, I know it will because I live in the area and I can see it for myself, the area is coming back quickly. In the past year more has happened to that part of town than anywhere else in Detroit.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan is to build a station on the opposite sides of the track from Baltimore. There's more space there. Also, where the station is now, those two tracks on the north side are owned by Canadian National and are not very cooperative when it comes to allowing commuter trains on their track. Conrail owns the two south tracks and are cooperative. The proposed commuter rail service will stop at the current station. If the project succeeds, after three years the plan is to create a tunnel or something to that effect to connect the tracks so the trains can then serve the new intermodal station.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, I'm not sure if I followed the last part of your past, Ljbad.

On another note, the thread should be called "intermodal Rail complex" or something, because Detroit is almost done constructing their brand new Intermodal transportation complex downtown. It's combines DDOT, SMART, Windsor Tunnel bus, Taxi stands, People Mover, Food court, police station, digital t.v's with real-time updates of bus arrivals and it's all encased in a building (not outside like capitol park) so it's heated and cooled! Point being, this encompasses every form of transit (except water and air) - it may even tie in with the DDOT Light Rail plan later on.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be just like us to build this whole place and then someone gets their act together and builds a downtown rail terminal within Cobo or near JLA in 10 years....

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So then it is converted into a secondary hub for a spur line Buster??? That's usually how other cities do it ya know...

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I think they should demolish MCS and preserve the arches and forward part of the building and transport them to be the centerpiece of the new transit center, which can be built around the MCS pieces (sorta like the plan floating around for Illitch's Fine Arts Building).

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^

That is pure blasphemy!!!!

Destroy this?

http://onlyndetroit.com/

are you kidding?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.