Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Uriel Jones passes..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a posting across the street on SD that the last surviving Funk Brother drummer, Uriel Jones passed away today at the age of 84. RIP

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uriel Jones

Photo by Anthony Dalton

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction, doug, he was 74. I met Uriel several years ago at one of the many Funk Brother reunions. VERY nice guy who would talk for hours about the Motown days.

For those unfamiliar, he played on Cloud Nine, Marvin's "Grapevine," Ain't No Mountain by Marvin and Tammi, For Once in My Life and many more. Truly one of the fgreat shadows of Motown.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funk Brother Jack Ashford is alive and well and playing his ass off on the new Raphael Saadiq album. Do yourselves a favor and GET. THAT. ALBUM. You'd swear it was recorded in the snakepit circa 1968.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing against Jack Ashford, but Jamerson, Benny, Pistol, Uriel, Joe Hunter, Earl Van Dyke, et al. THOSE are the Funk Bros to me. I met Uriel quite a few times over the years and even watched the un-cut version of the film at his home with his buddy's from the Joe Weaver group and Kenny Martin. He made great chicken wings! It was about four hours long! Uriel was a great player and told me that he and Pistol learned everything from Benny (Joe's cousin). He also told me several times that there wouldn't have been a Funk Bros it not for the Joe Weaver groups as most of them came out of his band. He was a very nice man. I once saw him at the Latin Quarter drumming with the Erstine Hawkins Band! Jim G -- you were there too, right?

I've nothing but good things about the Raphael Saadiq CD.

Willy
Username: Willy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a chance to work with Uriel a couple of times. Besides being a great drummer, he was a heck of a nice guy and a great storyteller when you prodded him, although when he was around Joe Weaver and Joe Hunter he didn't need much prodding. He'll definitely be missed!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jamerson, Benny, Pistol, Uriel, Joe Hunter, Earl Van Dyke, et al."
Arguably the best band of their time!

And bless Joe Weaver and all the Fortune Records performers....the record label that could have and should have.

Most important: Condolences to the family of Uriel Jones.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I miss Robert White.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090325/NEWS01/90325042/1035/E NT/Funk+Brother+Uriel+Jones+di es

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better a day late than never, eh Rawk?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I guess.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most newspapers did obits yesterday.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention. This was all I could find on DetNews:

http://detnews.com/article/200 90325/ENT04/903250400/1424/ENT 04/Funeral+set+for+Uriel+Jones +of+Funk+Bros.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory.....
.....sorry about the age. The early note I saw didn't state his age, and I did the math from his birthdate in my head......

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uriel Jones-Funk Brothers, Duke Fakir-The Four Tops, Gil Bridges-Rare Earth, Dennis Coffey-Funk Brothers-Studio A-The Snake Pit

Uriel Jones-Funk Brothers, Duke Fakir-The Four Tops, Gil Bridges-Rare Earth, Dennis Coffey-Funk Brothers-Studio A-The Snake Pit

I am very saddened by the passing of such a legend of music. Uriel was a nice man and one heck of a drummer. His distinct sound will always be with us when we hear the classics. My prayers are with his wife and family. Gil and I printed this photo from our archives and Millie and Dennis Coffey framed it and took it to him before he passed. He was pleased, and I am very glad that his wife has such a nice photo of Uriel with the boys in the Snake Pit on the very day of Motown’s 50th anniversary. You are drumming in heaven now Uriel.
God Bless
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.URIEL & SPIDER WEBB--
2.DENNIS SHERIDAN, LARRY FRANTANGELO, RAY MONETTE, DENNIS COFFEY, BOB BABBITT, DAVE VANDEPITTE, ROBERT JONES, SPIDER WEBB, CARL DIXON & URIEL
3.URIEL AT HIS BEST

Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GIL BRIDGES OF RARE EARTH & URIEL JONES OF THE FUNK BROTHERS &

Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/musi c/2009/mar/26/obituary-uriel-j ones

Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very nice interview of Uriel

http://www.tigerbill.com/media /Urielinterview.wmv

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.