Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Best Detroit Restaurant? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading Wine Spectator magazine during a slow stretch of my part time Wine & Spirits grocery store department job. I came across an article on New Orleans dining establishments. One was Emeril's restaurant DELMONICOS. It waxed poetic about their steaks, seafood, etc (atmosphere) I am sure it would be pricey.

I then thought what the hell. What if I told my wife we are takinmg a four day weekend, driving to New Orleans (from greater Des Moines, Iowa) and eating at Delmonicos then getting in the car and driving home.

IF I wanted to do the same going to DETROIT, what ONE restaurant is DETROIT personified? Great food, great Detroit digs, atmosphere?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let's see. Delmonico's in New Orleans has been there more than 100 years. Of course, Emeril hasn't. It's hard to find that kind of history here, and a celebrity chef to boot. How about the Whitney? It's in a historic Detroit mansion with Tiffany windows. The mansion is mid-1890s, and Delmonico's opened in 1895. Chef Michael Lutes isn't on TV like Emeril, but he puts out some great food.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mario's

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ponchartrain Wine Cellars.

It's closed?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma Cafe

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opus One for high end.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What if I told my wife..."

Your wife must be a saint!

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Roma Cafe is the one. Every time we go there it is a treat. One hundred year old house, old waiters the food is fantastic.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma's is still good, but its not what it used to be.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duly's , but don't order heavy onions on the hot dog. They'll put on too many.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Delmonico's. True, it was a great dining experience, though more of a steakhouse and less of a New Orleans cajun/creole restaurant. Emeril's other NO restaurant, NOLA, was also pretty good.

Since I'm a transplanted Detroiter, any time I make it back to the CofD, Lafayette is a must, and it used to be Fishbone's, though the food has changed a bit over the years.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mario's is terrible and Roma cafe is only so-so. Vince's on Springwells is hands-down the best Italian food in Detroit.

I'm going to have to go with Small Plates for best restaurant. It's fancy but not pretentious and the food is delicious.

For most 'Detroit' restaurant (that isn't a coney island): How about Traffic Jam?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic Jam is still there? I went there when I was at WSU in the 70's. What about Hella's in Greektown - stil there?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sadly no, RIP Hella's

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma's Cafe. Hands down.

12468_laing: Traffic Jam is still there. Hella's sadly closed a year or two ago.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sidebar-what's the latest update on Carl's?

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Mario's to celebrate a milestone birthday. Food and service were both awful. It was a Friday night and the place was pretty much empty.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always liked Sinbad's, and eventhough it isn't in Detroit proper, Lido's on the Lake was also a favorite.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to mario's for a wedding rehearsal dinner. food and service were both excellent. it was a friday and they were doing decent business.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awful food at Mario's? They must have really went downhill. I don't believe that. What was so bad about it? I take food/restaurant assessments with a grain of salt. People used to rave about the Whitney, it sucked. No wonder they went out of business. Food was crap and the staff was rude. Terrible place.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a birthday luncheon at Mario's last fall, and it was as good as ever.

Warsaw7
Username: Warsaw7

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bar none - Slow's

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm liking the Whitney idea. The building, if not the restaurant, has been there since before the auto industry and reflects the lumber age that gave birth to it indirectly. You can also hang out in the third-floor bar for a taste of local sports fandom and conversation.

Me, I also like both the Roma and Mario's, which are old-line Italian places. But the Whitney will knock your eyes out.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to The Rattlesnake Club for special dinners, but that was years ago and I don't know if it's as good as it used to be.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The night we went to Mario's I had high expectations as I had always heard how fantastic the food was. I was with two of my girlfriends. The waiter could care less about waiting on us and he had a pretty big chip on his shoulder. Our salads were wilted, the soup was cold, my steak was charred on the outside and raw inside. I had ordered it medium rare. Both of my friends ordered the sea bass and both of their meals were cold. After our food came, no one came and asked us if we needed anything, or how the food was. When the waiter brought our bill to the table he asked why we hadn't eaten our dinner. We told him about the problem with the food, he shrugged his shoulders, asked us if we wanted to box up our food and gave us the bill.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I went to Mario's it was pretty good, portions were always large. Back in the day, waiters were usually snotty, maybe because they had to wear a tux all night.

If you order the filet medium rare it's gonna pratically have a pulse, you gotta go medium or even medium well. Thick cut of meat you're ordering.

Mario's zip sauce tastes an awful lot like soy sauce to me. It's tasty but kinda salty.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between the Whiteney or Slow's...quite a contrast lol.

www.detroit-travel-guide.com

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we said no coney islands but I travel all over the country and internationally and I always miss how you can pretty much hit any corner coney in the city and (1) know what's on the menu, (2) know what it'll taste like and how much it'll cost, and (3) get it fast and be back on your way, in some cases even through a drive-through window... they don't have that in other places and I'm always quick to come back and get a sandwich from Zef's downtown or any of the fantastic late night coney islands in the McNichols/Greenfield area. I know we said no coneys, but I just had to throw that in... Coney's are pretty unique to here and are fantastic... oh btw also Detroit One on Woodward near Peterboro is terrific too.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other cities have their proletariat cuisines and you can pretty much expect the same thing from every casual establishment in the area--Chicago-style dogs/Italian beef, etc., Philly cheese steaks/hoagies, New York dogs/pizza slices, LA tacos. Detroit's the same. As far as best restaurant I would vote Slows for Detroit, but it's a biased vote since I consider the all around experience--neighborhood, people, beer selection, comfortability, and, of course, the food. It's heavy comfort food, and sometimes I'd rather have something lighter, but on all points it scores #1 with me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.