Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The Opposite of Detroit - Is the Grass always greener? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read another horrible thread about Detroit yesterday - West Robinwood Ghost st and commented there.

Some of you know I live in Rockport in South Texas. Its exactly the opposite of Detroit in my neighborhood,yet to assume its heaven - would be wrong.

I live on the ocean where my house was about the first to be built,basically because I know the law and knew it was doable. Now the area is full of houses.

This new neighborhood has NO diversity. Its all white - all older - all conservative- and no kids for mine to play with.

When 5 years ago I put up a big banner " LIck Bush in 2004" the neighborhood which by my best accounts voted 95% for Bush tried to make me take it down. NO Way.

If my grass is a bit too high (and I mean a bit) they complain and gossup. My friendly dog ran loose maybe once a week and my dogs are rescue dogs - the rest of the neighborhoods are pure bred and they complained.

When I ran against the president of the school board - they were split but I won every other neighborhood.

Yes its safe - old people don't break into houses or shoot but its not the paradise one would imagine.

I lived in a poor Black neighborhood in Huntsville Texas when in grad school, and it was lively friendly and never had any trouble.

Just some thoughts.... before court this morning.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3882
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know what the opposite of Detroit is if you have never been there?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the city/region as a whole, portland oregon and it's tri-county area is the true opposite of detroit by most measures.

edit: but it too is sometimes criticized for not being incredibly diverse

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 25, 2009)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, you are complaining that your neighbors cut their grass, keep their dogs on a leash and vote the way they want. You post on your lawn an obvious sexual reference to cunnilingus disguised as a political insult; yet, you seem surprised that your neighbors know distasteful off-color humor when you rub their noses in it.

You built on the water in a hurricane zone in defiance of the laws of nature. You come here and demand information on houses and buildings to buy without ever having even visited Detroit.

You're sounding more and more like a completely self-centered person.

How very Texan of you.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, and now you got Kwame.

Things can go down hill pretty quick.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When 5 years ago I put up a big banner " LIck Bush in 2004" the neighborhood which by my best accounts voted 95% for Bush tried to make me take it down. NO Way.

I'd try to have you take it down too, regardless of my political beliefs.

That was incredibly tacky and inconsiderate of others. Who want's that in their neighborhood? None of my neighbors would do something that low-class, even if they agreed with it completely. They know better than to put a sign like that up when you know kids will be asking their parents to explain it to them.

Stay where you are, please. We're all set with assholes right now in Michigan, we'll let you know when there's an opening. YOU sound like the bad neighbor, putting up signs like that and letting your dog get out every week.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no... Ocean, please, come here and live in the Saint Rita apartment building. It's bright and airy, and you'll LOVE that neighborhood.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Ocean2026, I think you'd fit right in here:
1. Build so as to obstruct the view of the Gulf (or Detroit River).
2. Don't encourage your children to befriend those that don't look like them or have different beliefs.
3. Put up tacky sign (or graffiti).
4. Don't maintain your lawn.
5. Let your animals run loose.
Anything else you could offer to Detroit?

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn... you guys are being fucking brutal.

------------------------------ ---

Anyhow, I will have to totally disagree with your statement Gravity;

"on the city/region as a whole, portland oregon and it's tri-county area is the true opposite of detroit by most measures.

edit: but it too is sometimes criticized for not being incredibly diverse"

Post industrial city, built on prime farming land, on a state boarder, newly revitalized riverfront, diversity ratios are similar provided that detroit is primarily black where as portland is primarily white, and very similar number of overcast days. Are all things Detroit has in common with Portland.

Detroit has a lot they could learn from Portland. Portland is very green, dense, and walkable with an extremely efficient mass transportation system. Most of came through state wide planning programs such as, complete streets, growth boundaries, and greening efforts. It also helps to have a progressive city government.

As far as Michigan being a city-state, meaning the city deals with planning and growth efforts, it would take a lot for the state to step up and in-act the laws necessary to halt sprawl.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and many of them angry a--holes too ! lol

lheart -I have been to Detroit but only once and wasn't looking to buy a building.

Gnome I "demand" information- yes there are some bitter people here.

Retroit - you win the dumbest - who said anything about my children not encouraged to be with children of other ethnicities? One of my children is Hispanic- I guess by your standards that means I don't encourage him to talk to his sister. A dog off a leash in a country part - non incorporated portion of a county is not exactly letting animals run loose.

Seems quite a few of the Detroit people left - at least here are jealous of those who escaped or maybe you can get Detroityes to make a rule

"Only those who can prove they still live in Detroit and are upset' can post.

All my post was trying to show as that diversity both ethnic and political is a good thing. Bunches of modern houses without any history are not as interesting as the old buildings Detroit has. People that are too uptight and have everything perfect can be annoying but guess Detroit has them too.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is not diverse!

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When 5 years ago I put up a big banner " LIck Bush in 2004" the neighborhood which by my best accounts voted 95% for Bush tried to make me take it down. NO Way. "

That's just unacceptable. As a teenager myself, I say that's something a teenager, not an adult, would do. I don't blame your neighbors for having taken it down. I live in a safe small town, but if you had a sign like that and they asked you to take it down and you didn't, it might "accidentally" get destroyed while you weren't home.

Honestly, you are pathetic. No reason to put up a sign like that. It's just plain distasteful. And your neighbors weren't being snobby. They were being adults.

Fury13

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, the city of Detroit is very homogenous.

On the other hand, the Detroit metro area as a whole is quite diverse.

"...bunches of modern houses without any history are not as interesting as the old buildings Detroit has."

Yeah, we have lots of interesting old buildings in high-crime neighborhoods... buildings that are full of rats and cockroaches and derelict crackheads... buildings that are stripped of squatting plumbing and wiring, roofless, and falling in on themselves. Gee.

And we have a homogenous, failing, auto-dependent economy that all but guarantees that 95 percent of those buildings will NEVER be rehabbed, and that most of our neighborhoods will never come back.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4615
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in a safe small town, but if you had a sign like that and they asked you to take it down and you didn't, it might "accidentally" get destroyed while you weren't home.

I say that's something a teenager, not an adult, would do.

You folks ever hear of the First Amendment? Voltaire?

And if you have to explain that sign to your kids, you give your kids entirely too much credit.

Gnome

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic Flameout Tex. See ya.

Roq
Username: Roq

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Yes its safe - old people don't break into houses or shoot but its not the paradise one would imagine."

Why do you assume everyone in Michigan, particularly Detroit, thinks Texas is some shangri-la paradise? Personally, I think it's a shithole and would rather live in Detroit any day.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roq I don't assume anything.

Texas is diverse and stereotyping is for small minds. Some parts are nasty -others polluted- I've been all over the state and the southern coast is fine - not one point source for pollution in the county.

On the other hand summers are hot so I look to places like Detroit or Buffalo - where its cooler and the buildings are more interesting.

Detroit clearly is the angriest place as far as people go - if this board is representative.

Leanam as a teenager you should be old enough to read- there are no kids in my neighborhood and my teenager was adult enough to laugh at the sign. Once again few here have a sense of humor and even fewer understand the 1st Amendment ( daninDC being an exception)

Half seem angry because I'm showing that living in a nice ocean town has some drawbacks ( lack of diversity - architecture) . Fury is an example-hence the name.

The other half are defensive and angry because they think I'm criticizing Detroit.

Roq

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Texas is diverse and stereotyping is for small minds. Some parts are nasty -others polluted- I've been all over the state and the southern coast is fine - not one point source for pollution in the county."

This may be shocking news, but I have been all over Texas as well and I stand by my original assessment.

Gnome

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha, oh man, ha, snort, lol, good times, man, good times.

Yeah, I just love laughing it up with my daughter over my Bush Licking jokes, ha. Nothing better than lighting farts, talking cunnilingus with my daughter, hohoheehee.

Good times.

It's is strange Tex that you hide behind the Constitution, when no one attacked your preference for Anyone But Bush, rather, the folks balked at your low-class taste and humorless affront to your neighbors.

You can hate Bush all you want around here and it will barely make a ripple. Few people would care. But why do you think offending your neighbors with sexual innuendo is somehow clever?

It isn't. You aren't. And justifying your poor taste by hiding behind your child is despicable.

You must think yourself as pretty special if you think anyone cares that you bash Detroit. We deserve it, and you piling on is just one more dooshy talker, no one cares what you think.

No one cares you live on the beach except you and your poor neighbors. Don't think of yourself as special, you're not. Just one more Texan who doesn't see a Doosh when they shave in the morning.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - "the folks" what two posters? There were many people in person who saw it and thought it was hilarious- two posters maybe 3 doesn't mean consensus. There are probably more posters than that who thought Kwame was a good mayor. My taste is your opinion - maybe go back to the snorting that started off your post.

Roq you've been to ALL parts of Texas? You've been here. Specifically if you can tell me what upset you about this place? Texas as a whole has its drawbacks but many people are moving into this "shithole" and moving out of yours - people vote with the pocketbooks.

Gnome

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tex, if you think Bush Licking is funny, you're doing it wrong.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, did everyone wake up on the pissy side of the bed this morning?

And has _nobody_ ever heard of the verb 'lick' used to mean to beat somebody, and to beat them good? I grew up mostly in the south and it was pretty obvious to me. Seriously, where do you get this idea that a political sign expressing a hope that Bush is defeated is actually promoting cunnilingus on a non-vagina-having individual? I can't believe I just wrote that.

Can't y'all just relax? I don't believe anybody writing that stuff would be acting that way in person.

O.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4423
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just apples and oranges. Notwithstanding the different latitudes and overriding political differences, this is basically comparing, like, Harrison Township to Detroit. You're comparing a place that's newer, not diverse, generally sorta bland, safe, and stable to a place that's older, more diverse (if not very diverse), anything but bland, mostly unstable, and sometimes unsafe. There are reasons to like the former if you prefer feelings of stability and safety, but, of course, reasons to despise the same for the homogeneity, blandness, and lack of progressiveness. Yours is a typical commentary on the dearth of unique, diverse places to live in the modern-built American landscape.

Roq

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Roq you've been to ALL parts of Texas? You've been here. Specifically if you can tell me what upset you about this place? Texas as a whole has its drawbacks but many people are moving into this "shithole" and moving out of yours"

1. Yes
2. Nothing upset me about it, I just think it's a shithole.
3. Good.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, I have always heard it that way, too. In fact, when I was a kid, my mom would threaten to give me a good lickin' if she thought I was being a bad kid. I really doubt she had anything in mind other than swatting me a good one. I never even thought of it the other way until today.

Fury13

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Half seem angry because I'm showing that living in a nice ocean town has some drawbacks ( lack of diversity - architecture). Fury is an example-hence the name."

That's fine if you appreciate the architecture here and the diversity (of the metro area, because, as has been noted, Detroit the city is not diverse at all)... but you show an incredible arrogance and naivete in your postings about a place you have admittedly visited just once. I suppose that's what irks me, Ocean.

To repeat the gist of what many have said: nothing can be done with an architecturally beautiful building if it is abandoned with no specific use foreseen for it, especially if it's in a dangerous neighborhood (as are some of the examples you've mentioned). NO one is going to rehab or live in such a place. The idea is insane.

As for "Fury," my handle, it's a car. That's all. Plymouth Fury. A car, no longer made. No significance beyond that. Sheesh.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3883
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What city in Metro Detroit is more diverse than Detroit? Except maybe Dearborn and Hamtramck?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is NOT diverse.

How can anyone say it is?

Having a large minority population does not make a city diverse.

As far as black and white Southfield is pretty diverse.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck and Southfield along with Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor are some cities that are more diverse than Detroit.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK fury - I can respond to logic rather than accusation.

Detroit is more diverse than my neighborhood, yet there are more diverse places- Queens NY being a good example Berkeley Cal. When I last saw a census tract for my neighborhood there were about 500 houses 1 half hispanic family - 0 Blacks and my son who is hispanic. Therefore from my frame of reference Detroit is more diverse. The neighborhoods I most consider are probably 60% Black with white and hispanics making up the rest- just a guestimate.

True I've only been to Detroit once, but Cincy Pitt Buffalo many times. I also talk to people both in person and online and I understand demographics. My guess is Detroit is a large but somewhat similar version of Buffalo ( I had a thread here once Buffalo & Detroit- it was fairly populat) except that Detroit is someone more Black, substantially more economically depressed, and Detroit has more areas of blight ( although Buffalo's East side is pretty bad). Both cities have great old buildings and both are cheap, but Detroit's are cheaper. Real estate taxes suck in both places. Both places have among the best summers for cities of any place Michigan or East.

If I am substantially wrong in my analysis -tell me but save the fury..lol

Yes many are dilapidated and need to be torn down. All I would be able to do is fix ONE building.

The intent of my thread was after seeing so many depressing threads here ( and much worse ones on other sites) that everything isn't as great as it looks everywhere. I was trying to instill some optimism, but several people wanted to vent their umm fury instead.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 852
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Ocean, you sure have gotten some negative reaction. I am, was and still am a native Detroiter, I found nothing in your original post that offended me.

On a national level I found "Lick Bush" pretty funny on several levels.

You do sound a little smug though and maybe that is what brought the heat.

I personally am glad you are doing well and can afford to look for a summer home. If you are looking for a summer home in the D and your son is part hispanic, check out southwest Detroit or perhaps Corktown.

This city is way more diverse than people would confirm. Census numbers miss so many people.

I have had fabulous experiences here and terrible incidences here. I think you are possibly not tough enough. You are the ultimate judge of where you want to go. Godspeed!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3884
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is NOT diverse.

Compared to what? New York? Chicago? Okay, in that case I agree. But compared to anything in Metro Detroit? You're joking right? Detroit is more diverse than most communities in Metro Detroit.

quote:

As far as black and white Southfield is pretty diverse.

Well, more white people live in Detroit than live in Southfield.

quote:

Hamtramck and Southfield along with Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor are some cities that are more diverse than Detroit.

Ha. Those are the only communities more diverse than Detroit.

I mean Metro Detroit is what? Like 80% white? And the city of Detroit is 80% black? Yet somehow Metro Detroit is oh so much more diverse than Detroit itself. Uh, sure.

Fury13

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diversity is not just about race.

Sterling Heights:
https://entrepreneur.com/trade journals/article/13805055.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.