Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Anybody watching the Mayoral Debate? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5430
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel's wiping the floor with Bing, imho.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to agree with you lilpup.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No WADL in my house..any idea if it's gonna be on the net somewhere?

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

freep.com is streaming it.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is airing live on Freep.com.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know. Cockrel is coming off as an arrogant guy pushed into a corner. i don't think he's mopping the floor with anyone. i'm not impressed.

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel's rebuttal to Bing forgetting about graduating from Syracuse got a lot of emotion from the audience.

Kiplinger

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, a lot of boos. it was a cheap shot.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing seems like an old shuffling unstable insecure old man. I wouldn't be surprised if he started snoring during one of Cockrel's answers. Cockrel just has way more energy and is connecting with the audience in a very dynamic way. He addresses the audience as if he is confident of his answers.

Bing is way out of his league - I can see why he stayed away from all debates and public appearances, he sucks at it.

It's interesting how he's questioning KC's ability to balance the budget in 7 months when it took him 9 years to address his company's accident record.

All Bing has is lots of cricitism for what KC has done or didn't do - but no solutions on what HE would actually do.

Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing doesn't seem to have any plans just ideas.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Kiplinger that Cockrel could have been more of a gentleman. He had moments of coming across as arrogant, and we don't need any more arrogant f$#@*s as mayor. But Bing also appeared uncomfortable and out of his element. He made it clear that doesn't have the experience. The question voters have to answer for themselves is, "how much will that matter?" If people believe he has integrity and that he can learn quickly on the job, then he has a chance.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Cockrel as confident, not arrogant. Kwame was arrogant.

It may have not been the most politically apt response but Cockrel's comment about Bing's non-degree was dead-on accurate. People don't 'forget' things like that. I really thought Bing would show better than this. I'm truly surprised.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing just got pwned.

KC studied his Toastmasters handbook. Bing needs to take his marbles and go back to Franklin.

I think its very telling that Bing wouldn't answer whether or not he'd run again, obviously, he's not as committed as he likes to pretend. KC's answer was concise and without hesitation - he wants the job. Imagine being on a job interview and being asked that question about the job that you want - which person do you think would actually get the job?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Chrissy_snow:

All Bing has is lots of cricitism for what KC has done or didn't do

Bing didn't win me over with this debate. However, Bing can still be important and influential even if he isn't elected mayor. His criticism are stinging and puts the ball in Cockrel's court to show and improve. I think it's time we start holding our leaders accountable. Either takes measurable steps to improve the city or be voted out. If Bing only did one good thing tonight, then criticizing Cockrel and putting the pressure on him was it.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel was the clear winner of this debate. He was confident, dynamic and full of energy. I agree with Lilpup; I thought Bing would fare a lot better than he did. His questioning of Cockrel's leadership came across as hollow at best. Plus, he missed a genuine opportunity to sound decisive when asked if he would run again, win or lose. Why dodge a question like that? Makes you wonder if he truly wants this job.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seemed like Ron Dwonzk- uh, Dwzonekwdgh23h-, the Free Press guy, was overly harsh against Bing. The tone of the questions seemed like he was biased. Just my opinion.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Bing gave an honest answer to that question. I'm sure he'll evaluate how well he does in May and than make a decision about running next November. It's more than likely that whoever wins in May is going to be the favorite next fall.

KC was being honest also. While Bing has his own successful business, KC seems that he'd be happy being on the career politician path. He'll probably be running for something every four years. I wouldn't be surprised that if he doesn't win in May that he does run in November, but instead of mayor he tries to get his council seat back.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel won the debate as far as I am concerned. Bing isn't knowledgeable regarding the true problems in Detroit, he's frail in his speech and stance, he just doesn't have it. He has an opinion but no solution.

Go get them Ken...you're the man!

Kiplinger

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bing didn't win me over either. admittedly cockrel knows what is going on in the city and from what he says his administration is addressing alot of issues.

right now i don't want to vote for either. huh...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always vote for Kenyatta in November, Kip.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel won, hands down. He made himself appear in charge and mayoral. Bing was so wooden he made Cockrel appear charismatic. Cockrel may be a good guy and a decent politician, but he doesn't really wow a room when he walks in and holds court. Cockrel also was almost chomping at the bit at times, taking a cheap shot or two. So much so that I thought he was going to break out into a game of the dozens.

Kylem785
Username: Kylem785

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I left without being too impressed by either...
Cockrel's mention of the possibility of moving people to higher populated areas and closing off sections of the city seems a bit ridiculous to me...
and correct me if I'm wrong but did he say "Hell, you just moved here!" in response to Bing's statement that some of Cockrel's employees are not Detroit residents.

My one question...my roommate walked in during the questions about the MCS and Tiger stadium and I missed the responses, what did the two have to say on their future?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4327
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kyle, I actually thought Cockrel danced around the 'shrinking cities' question, and not in a good way. It's not a ridiculous idea, and, in fact, the city will find out that it's going to eventually going to have to come up with some plan, anyway. It's envitable and they'd be better off doing it sooner rather than later. That his essential answer was "we're thinking about it" showed he doesn't take it seriously, and that's not a good thing.

Bing just doesn't seem to have the stomach for this. He doesn't look like he really wants it. To me, he seems like he simply wants to be mayor for its own sake, without actually having to run for it. To me, all of the BS about running a municipality like a business has always been a total turn-off of a talking point, for me. It's simply not realitistic. Running a city requires being both an administrator and then some. Bing doesn't seem to have that latter.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW ! I missed the debates, saw the sound bites on the news, but I needed to come to this forum to get the flavor and feeling of the debates. A few days ago on another thread I felt that Cockrel would expose Bing as lacking specifics as to how he would govern the city and from the comments it seems like thats pretty much what happened during the debate.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kylem785: "Cockrel's mention of the possibility of moving people to higher populated areas and closing off sections of the city seems a bit ridiculous to me..."

IMO, Cockrel didn't seem in favor of this idea. He was just using his response to explain the pros and cons so people in the audience would understand the impact such a plan might have. Just because he takes the time to flesh out the idea for people doesn't mean he's on board with it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4585
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One topic of the Detroit Mayoral Debate is The Cobo Hall expansion. Cockeral said that Leaving the the future of Cobo Hall to Detroiters would cause some venues of leave the city for good. He contends that regionalization of the Cobo Hall expansion would be the final solution in order to bring back venues to the city.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bing doesn't seem to have any plans just ideas.

Cockrel didn't seem to have any concrete plans either.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Kylem785:

my roommate walked in during the questions about the MCS and Tiger stadium and I missed the responses, what did the two have to say on their future?

Cockrel: Is giving time to conservancy to show that they have a workable plan for Tiger Stadium. If they can't come up with a workable plan then it is to be torn down. He wants to use stimulus money to tear down MCS and bill Moroun for the cost.

Bing: Agreed with Cockrel on Tiger Stadium and simply said he would tear down MCS.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing, at this point should have solid plans and ideas. He cannot use the "I'm not privy to the books" excuse. He knows the deficit numbers, he knows the current budget (or should, as it's available online).

I really like Mr. Bing and I know he can run a successful company, but government is a completely different animal. Dealing with employees with whom you do not have ultimate control changes everything. His biggest contribution would be on City Council. Learn the city ropes first, before trying to run the city.

I must say, I realize this is a different world, but the booing is just plain rude. It never should have been allowed. The audience should have been made to quiet down before the speakers finished. This a common occurence and shows terrible manners. The audience was there to watch and listen, not participate.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole thing made me wish that Freman was one of the finalists.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets just be glad that the decision is between these two and that there are no KK or MC types in the race. My personal opinion is either one of these guys are a huge step in the right direction for the city.

Cockrel comes off as not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he has good character, impeccable ethics and seems to surround himself with smart people.

Bing is one of those guys who just succeeds at anything he tries, be it athletics, business and possibly government. I think he'd be a quality mayor.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The further this goes along, there seems to be more regrets that Hendrix isn't in the race. Any chance that there will be a grassroots campaign to write him in in May or convince him/fund him to run in August?

Disclaimer: I am not a part of a Hendrix or any campaign committee. Just asking the question.

It just seems that these two candidates are giving us C work and the city needs someone with at least a B average of knowledge and charisma and connections.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"city needs someone with at least a B average of knowledge and charisma and connections."

The city truly needs A++ for real change to take place.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Absolutely....^^^

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fukkabuncha "charisma & connections." What say we just get someone with the common sense to keep basic services running within a realistic budget, to turn in their paperwork on time, and to not make a huge ass of themselves in the public eye..

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the sophomoric cheers and applause when each candidate made a talking point? Sounded more like a middle school or a wrestling crowd than a collection of citizens appraising the candidates.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl, it made me angry. I know I sound like an old fogey when I say this, but it's damned rude and people seem to lack manners today. The moderator should have stopped that display.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT just reflects that a majority of citizens have no class. It also shows ignorance.

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 927
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it shows that a MINORITY of noisy citizens have no class..probably the same batch who were hootin' & hollerin' to save Kwame Kilpatrick every time a TV camera was in sight last year. Canvassing neighborhoods for recall signatures proved to me that the noisy fools were merely a vocal minority..the majority were less crass, but more apathetic..
THIS is why we get idiot leaders in this town.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4333
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Last I checked, this booing and clapping went on at just about every primary debate, last year, for president. It's not even distinctly Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.