Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Violent Crime is up in Midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just want everyone to be cautious.

3/16/09 - Person was shot and killed on W Willis btwn Woodward and Cass @ 8:45 pm walking back from McDonalds
3/17/09 - Armed robbery by police impersonators at the Sb Lodge SD and W Forest (subjects caught by WSUPD in Elijah McCoy Townhouses)
3/19/09 - Armed robbery at Second and Prentis in f/o Passport Pizza
3/25/09 - Purse snatching at Second and Willis

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, the shooting and W Forest armed robbery don't show up on CrimeView. Do you have any narrative on that shooting?

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They occurred last week, I'm not sure when crimeview is updated.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current search limit is through 3/19. I assumed everything should be updated through then, but that may not be the case.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any important details on the shooting?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of this sounds like WSU campus police's jurisdiction.
Does it still appear on crimeview if the area is primarily patrolled by a department OTHER THAN DPD?

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In looking at the website, it doesn't look like shootings are one of the covered categories - no listings for any assaults in the map key.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9129
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Foran's/Eph's crew was walking home down Michigan Avenue in Corktown Saturday night, was approached when he turned up Trumbull and verbally accosted...then when he turned to flee was shot three times in the leg.

He got very lucky, no major damage...nothing life threatening...but if the street thugs can place three .22 or .25 bullets in a skinny leg at a few paces they are getting FAR too much shooting practice.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Gannon, where did your crewmate run to for help? Sounds like there is more to the story of his rescue.

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All crime off the WSU porperty is recorded on Detroit's system. Nothing really to add to the shooting other than people heard four shots and called the police.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any evidence that violent crime is actually up in Midtown, rather than this just being a number of serious incidents in a short period of time?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These very unfortunate incidents aside, maybe crime is down in Midtown.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a WSU employee. Usually the WSU police are very proactive about alerting the community of violent crime on or around campus by email. I have heard nothing from them about a shooting.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad to hear this. I lived in that area for 4 years and never had anything happen to me... but my folks say that crime always gets worse in the D during an economic downturn. Things were looking up 10 years ago when I graduated from college.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doubting the Shooting happened, WSU definitely would have alerted all students and faculty, and I received nothing. I've lived here for two years and I've never had a problem with crime. I still say it's a safe place.

English - You're folks are right, except for the fact that they singled out Detroit. Any city sees an uptick in crime when the economy gets bad.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Dcmorrison12:

You're folks are right, except for the fact that they singled out Detroit. Any city sees an uptick in crime when the economy gets bad.

Oh snap! Wait until our more grumpier regulars see this.

I'm just going to get some popcorn and kick back and watch the fireworks.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, I know, I'm setting myself up for an argument. But it's the truth, and I don't like to see Detroit catch the brunt of things when it doesn't have to.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, the city is like a punchy fighter with cauliflower ears. It can take a few more swipes.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you people actually think that Dpd_blue is making this shit up?

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't crime go up as the temperature goes up? (Winter crime statistics vs. summer crime stats)

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU Police would not include the shooting in its report since it happened off campus. I work at WSU and am always shocked at the stories I hear about crimes that occur around or near campus that don't make it in the crime bulletin.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm doubting the Shooting happened

BANG!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This didn't happen in Midtown, but I was carjacked at gunpoint this past Saturday at the BP gas station on Jefferson before St. Jean. 7:30 pm, still light out, with two to three other cars there (one at the pump right next to me). The Lt. back at the station told me I was the 6th carjacking in the Eastern District alone since 8 am.

I'll tell ya, I grew up in Detroit and have lived here my whole life except when I was at State and in DC for a year, but I'm just about done. With the ignorant-ass leadership, car insurance, and now this (my second armed robbery in 15 years), it just really isn't worth it anymore.

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would just like to state that I live in Midtown and work in Midtown and these events are facts. I posted this to alert the residents.

These issues will stay in this neighborhood until the NSO is shut down and the Calumet Townhouses and Freedom Place complex improve their clientele. A high percentage of the crimes in the area can be tied to these locations.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a few gunshots on Seward last night at 3 am. Probably from near the same building they always come from, the one that's the setting for this story that didn't get a whole lot of press...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dp p/news/two_men_found_fatally_s hot

English
Username: English

Post Number: 504
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very sorry to hear that, Ron. I'm just glad you're alright.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yikes spitty... i have a friend in that building... how did i not hear about that???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.