Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Where are the police? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rustic2
Username: Rustic2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, no offense intended to our friends in blue. But where are the cops? I can drive, and often do, from one end of Detroit to the other and not see a single patrol car. I've worked downtown at least once a week since mid-December and don't think I've seen more than one. In my own near-west suburb, which by no means has enough police officers, I can't drive five minutes without seeing one. Any good answers?

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is very large.

Your near-west suburb is not.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suburban donut shops???

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see cops all the time. But then I'm always either downtown or in some of the better areas of the city so that may not be a realistic representation of actual police coverage.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you taking the highway? i drive the surface roads daily and see a lot of cops on patrol. The Livernois-MI Ave area is always crawling with cops.

Rustic2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granted, Pcm, but the DPD is also very large, compared to my town's 67-member department.

Rustic2

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emuaaron, you have a good point, I am often on the freeway, but not always. And my brother, who is on surface streets a lot (a DPS employee, southwest side) says the same thing.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9134
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I notice them seriously is when they flash their pretty lights behind me.

Otherwise, every time I see a cop car on duty...I pull out my trusty one-hitter (old 'Dugout' patent number 4214658) and toast to the men and women in blue serving and protecting us!

Seriously, Rustic2, I don't see how you could miss them. Detroit police are all over the place.

It is a really good buzz living here...luckily not nearly as stoning as driving through Ohio or Oklahoma, though!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see them daily.

Det_ard
Username: Det_ard

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's usually one or two at the White Castle in Ferndale.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Otherwise, every time I see a cop car on duty...I pull out my trusty one-hitter (old 'Dugout' patent number 4214658) and toast to the men and women in blue serving and protecting us!

Classy.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4590
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the police?

Getting coffee and donuts!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Now that's cop food!

Gannon

Post Number: 9136
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noodles, life is the game we choose to play, isn't it?!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see them patrolling all the time in Midtown/Downtown/Woodbridge area

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Noodles, life is the game we choose to play, isn't it?!

I don't give a shit what game you play, my point is your pride in disregarding any semblance of discretion in a town desperate for an image makeover is a problem.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noodles.
I dont think Gannon is taking pride, I think hes flaunting a bit of civil disobedience. It needs to be done.

Detroit could be a catalyst for Midwest drug law reform, but it takes ppl with a little bit of balls to get it going.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Gannon smoking a discreet one hitter in his car is really tainting the Detroit name.

Gannon

Post Number: 9138
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, doin' the best I can to be indiscrete.

I'm rarely in a car nowadays.

Oh shit, or is that in-da-street?

Rustic2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noodles, I agree, and I'll take it a step farther: Forget discretion, it's just plain wrong. I speak from experience.

Understand, though, that doesn't mean I'm against drug law reform.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want reform you gotta talk about it. I think its wrong not to talk about it, or flaunt it even. Pot laws are absurd and Gannon just made that a little clearer in his joke.

Rustic2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be talked about, I agree. But advocating drug-law reform isn't the same thing as advocating pot-smoking.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You potheads can never stay on topic.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't even know what it was Gannon was referring to.

Good to see you posting, Django.

*hug*

Kraig
Username: Kraig

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police really only patrol the more active commercial/retail areas. The less commercial the area the less police presence. That's why you don't see that many police on the Northeast side at all or on the Southwest Side once you get away from the main commercial strips. Not even a strong presence on Fort Street which is sad since there is a police station on Fort street. Unless they're on Hooker patrol, you never see them on streets like Chene that are pretty desolated. It appears that they are focusing less on crime fighting or prevention and focusing more on crime containment.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one-hitter that looks like a cigarette. Mine came up missing when I sold my last truck.

I see cops all the time. They're usually in groups of four doing 80 down Evergreen (except when they're trying to navigate the mistimed intersection at Fenkell, where they have to crawl).

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the city every day, in all the neighborhoods and I don't see a lot of police in the city. It's been that way for a few years now. Traffic laws (or any other laws) aren't really enforced.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.