Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Francis of Assisi Fish Fry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

A100driver
Username: A100driver

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings,
New poster here, but I've been a list lurker for a couple of years. I just wanted to let everyone know that I took the advice of another poster and tried the fish fry at St. Francis on Wesson ave for lunch today. Great fish. VERY VERY good service. Those older folks that work the fish fry are VERY hospitable and really care about what they're doing.
Anyway, go try them out. Also, thanks Detroit Yes'ers for turning me on to them. I took a couple friends with me and they enjoyed it too.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A1- wesson and what cross street?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wesson and Buchanan, about 2 blocks north of Michigan Ave., 3 blocks east of Livernois.

A100driver: Welcome to the Forum!!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on March 27, 2009)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I drove by that church around lunch time. someone menntioned this church to me and I figured I check it out since I wasn't that far from it this afternoon. If I knew about the fish fry I would have stopped in to get some fish, but more importantly to check out the inside. Am I correct that the fish fry takes place in some part of the church and the FF is a weekly event.
What a magnificent church.

I just did a quick search on it and a Detroit yes thread from 2006 entitled "Early Detroit Polish Communities" came up. I'm going to be sure to check out that thread and read up on St Francis.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/83261.jpg

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/80673.html

(Message edited by rjk on March 27, 2009)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Francis loved animals especially fish.

A100driver
Username: A100driver

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes RJK, you are correct. The fish fry takes across the street in what I believe was a school building. The meal is down in the basement. The fish fry lasts two more Fridays. These really are some nice people. Too bad the church isn't open. I suspect that the church is BEAUTIFUL inside.
Also, thanks Kathleen for the welcome.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took your advice A1000 and had a wonderful meal. The people were very attentive and the fish was light, crispy and flavorful.

It does take place in the basement of the Parish hall, which looks to me an early gym.

Took a peek inside the church itself by telling them I was Mark Covington. Got a free pass inside.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: