Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Just proud to be from here... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey... I know i've posted a lot... just wanted to say that, as a musician who came into this city as a young inexperienced musician and learned so much from so many other people... which is so impossible in other cities (forget it in NY or LA... you're completely cut off as a young player) I'm so proud to be from here and so grateful to a city whose limited venues allowed a young, inexperienced white musician to start to build a career... I don't want to make any major point, just want to interject some sunshine into this otherwise gloomy discussion... this city, and its wonderful people, give so much to musicians and entertainers... I know there are problems, but just travel a little... other cities are terrible to up and coming people who try so hard... like I was trying when I was 20... I've been in the business for a long time now, made some connections that have made my life much easier... but if it were not for this amazing city and its residents (and suburban residents... for christ's sake New York calls Brooklyn-ites and Long Island-ites new yorkers.. can we finally grow up?) my career, my life, would not have happened... flat out, I love... LOVE this city... I know I've made some silly posts on this site, but I just wanted to say again that I so love my city, and I'm so honored to be here to see it turn around...

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Refreshing post.
Welcome Brother!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be our warm Mid-Western charm and hospitality.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this amazing city and its residents (and suburban residents... for christ's sake New York calls Brooklyn-ites and Long Island-ites new yorkers.. can we finally grow up?)"

Nickstone - you are so right! It is a refreshing post as Homer writes. Retroit - our warm Mid-Western charm and hospitality shines like no other!

I'm happy for you that our Detroit area residents have been of help to your musical career. Rock on! :-)

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to take da shine off you, but I LOVE my city too. Its has been good to me ....its has it ruff spots but overall what makes us unique is that we have heart and we care and support others here. None like any other city. Now all we have to do is fix some of the major problem the city holds such as education, safety, and basic services. Watch how we grow and prosper as a whole.
We have the most creative- open minded citizens, just bad billionare businessmen......Oh and the retarded city council members. Other than that, we have tons of people who care about Detroit and would LOVE to see it grow, we're just limited.

Great story though!....you have my support.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music in this town is exceptional. Glad to read your post, Nickstone. Are you currently with a working band?

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I currently work (when in town) with Champagne's Motor City Blues Crew and also with Charles and Gwen Scales... also SoulContent. But I spend a lot of time out of town now with NeYo...

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles and Gwen Scales...have not heard of them in years. Where are they playing these days. Beautiful people they are. Would like to see them again.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I've seen you play. Good stuff!
Ain't Detroit great!?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet post. Always love to hear positive thinking!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music scene in Detroit is quite phenomenal. Even when things are quiet there's a good dialogue going on. What I liked about the Detroit music scene is that you show up, display an interesting creative spirit, and you are accepted. Also before you have an audience it is actually more important you have an audience of fellow musicians. It definitely helps fight that loneliness when you are learning your way.

Glad to hear Detroit has been good to you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.