Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Insurance Policy Credit Checks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was looking to change my car insurance policy and the agent told me he was going to run a credit check on me - I said that I thought that he couldn't do that anymore and he said oh, yes I can! Can anybody clarify? Of course, I live in the city, could that have anything to do with it?

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit checks are routine for auto insurance. It doesn't affect the rate that much, and it doesn't affect your credit score (only credit checks that are done while applying for credit, loans, etc. affect credit score). They basically use it as another measure of personal responsibility.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They affect your rates significantly. It is still statewide. I switched in Dec. with a decent rating. Still could have saved 200 more per year if I had stellar credit. I was only 50 points short. I still pay 1800 a year for full coverage on my F150 in Hamtramck. I'm thankful I don't have crappy credit.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go shopping for another insurance company if it's an issue. They don't all use it, and some are better than others.

As an urban person I usually buy used cars and just get no-fault because to me a car is transportation and I hate paying monthly bills I don't have to. Get a club, park it in a garage, don't leave change in the front and you're generally good to go.

p.s. Anybody who answers you with "oh yes I can!" in the tone that was intimated in your post doesn't deserve your business. It's a slow economy, and there's lots of hungry insurance agents out there. There are a lot more diplomatic and less dickish ways to handle this if it's something he's gotta do because it's company policy.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just start the insurance so you have proof and stop paying...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The punk rock way of getting the insurance certificate and then to stop paying the premiums used to to be viable until they started slapping us with all these revenue-generating, often multi-year fees.

However, I'm still pretty sure that half the vehicles on the road in Detroit are uninsured. Not to mention, since they passed legislation a year ago requesting proof of citizenship, I know of several people who are or will be unable to even renew their drivers licenses, especially in Hamtramck.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh look, they're lowering your credit score without you doing a damn thing wrong:

http://detnews.com/article/200 90330/BIZ01/903300307/1001/BIZ

Which affects your car insurance, which affects you driver's license, which is a carte blanche for the state to extort you for whatever they think they can get from you.
It's such a racket. I wish, wish, wish we could get decent public transportation in this country so enough people could just sell their cars and send a huge message to those rat bastards.

Sorry, not much help.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6283
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a weird situation happen to me... I have Citizens Insurance Co., and always paid for an entire 6 months up front.

Well a funny thing happened... Citizens Insurance stopped sending their renewal notices out with the Citizens Insurance name and address on the letterhead, and started using "Hanover". Well I thought that Hanover was just another one of those pesky mutual fund folks such as Oppenheimer, Phoenix and Fidelity sending out advertising... and the Hanover letter (actually Citizens renewal statement) ended up unopened in the garbage along with all the mutual fund junk mail.

Then last week I get a statement from my insurance broker (exactly to the day... 1 month after the insurance lapsed) that said my insurance had expired 1 month ago.

I was aghast (driving without insurance) and immediately went to the insurance broker and found out that the insurance company changed letterhead (but not insurance company name).

So I reapplied for insurance with a check for 6 months worth of coverage at the $802 rate for 6 months I had been paying before.

When I got home this evening, I had a voice phone message from the broker, who said that because my lapse had been more than 30 days, that my rate would go from $802 to $2000.

I thought WTF??? Why would they more than double the premiums (no tickets in many years, no accidents in over 15 years).

So tomorrow I'm going to check with AAA (whom I had for 20 years before 2007). I thought what kind of scam are they trying to pull on me (I also have Homeowners Insurance with them, but will cancel it when I find another insurance company).

Can someone give me a logical explanation on why my (soon to be former) insurance company are trying to more than double my premiums?

I think a $1200 penalty for letting it lapse for more than 30 days is a ripoff!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance is annoying for sure. My son who is 28 has kept his coverage on my policy for years because he got better rates. He is now buying a house with his girlfriend. The agent at AAA, quoted them great rates if they bundled their insurance on cars, house etc. He saves even more if he can prove he has been a long time customer. He needs a declaration form. I have always maintained my maiden name so when I pulled my declaration and policy, I was surprised to see it was hyphenated with my husbands last name included. I told my son to take the form and say it was a joint policy with him and me. I imagine it will fly because these agents get commissions.

My wierd insurance story is that when my husband and I got married we were 21 & 22 respectively. At age 28 I found out I was paying AAA for the under 21 rate. They refused to refund the overcharges so I switched companies.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't mention any names, but the initials of the company trying to take advantage are AAA.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAA gives me great rates on my house/car insurance, but I also score a 10 out of 10 on thier credit rating system. Hopefully this won't change things for me. House insurance works out to about a buck a day and car insurance about $2.50. Not only that I have full coverage plus some extras on both.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok, I had the same problem with Citizens. I was late by a week. They cancelled me & charged me a full 6 mos policy at one time to reinstate. I've since moved to Progressive-did nearly all of it online. Better rates too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.