Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » YMCA pays monthly dues of unemployed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its great that the Y understands how unemployment has affected this area and is making efforts to help. One of the most critical areas that people have to deal with when facing unemployment along with trying to find another job and contacting support services is keeping ones fitness level up to par.

This brings to mind a bigger issue concerning the Y .. its monthly memberships are just more expensive than the Powerhouses and Fitness USA's of the world and I think down the road the Y will need to address that if it hopes to survive.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090329/NEWS02/903290513/1004/ NEWS/Economic+crunch+hits+metr o+Detroit+YMCAs
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Y (Warren) is shutting down at the end of April. They lost 50% of their membership to other gyms. They overextended themselves but then again, they didnt have tax-payer funding like the Warren Rec center.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.