Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Auto show to Oakland County if Cobo deal fails? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090330/AUTO0 1/903300355/Oakland+out+to+lur e+auto+show

May be a necessary move at some point, but now's not the time to bring it up.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5469
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope the deal doesn't fail. We have to get things working.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From busing to Cobo, LBP is again out to destroy intra community relations for his political ends, this time to boost his governorship fantasy. The sooner he leaves the stage the sooner we will have an opportunity to heal our metropolis.

I can't wait to hear his idea for an exhibition hall. Silverdome?

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Cobo fails, the auto show isn't sticking around metro Detroit. The Chicago show will become the premiere event.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed Motownmark. if the Cobo deal falls through, kudos to LBP for taking the initiative to do what it takes keep the Detroit show the premiere event. Unless it involves reuse of the Silverdome, which would kinda be the opposite of "premiere."

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

From busing to Cobo, LBP is again out to destroy intra community relations for his political ends, this time to boost his governorship fantasy. The sooner he leaves the stage the sooner we will have an opportunity to heal our metropolis.

What a crock. First of all, it's been reported that he's probably not going to run for governor -- the long grind of a campaign is not appealing to him and he wants to focus on Oakland County initiatives. Secondly, L. Brooks is far and away the most competent politician in the metro area. As an Oakland County resident, Lowell has benefited directly from living in one of the few counties in the country with a AAA bond rating.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still baffled as to why Cobo continues to make headlines. Does anybody follow the current state of the auto industry? Its possible the Chrysler could be out of business in 30 days. GM is on life support for 60 days. If we lost 1 or both, would anybody really give a shit about a car show? What would. $300 million Cobo expansion be aside from a waste of money?

Obama's sugar coating is quickly dissolving, as big brother now seems to be entering the automotive sector, an area they know little about.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the Council clearly ignited the fire, with this move, L. Brooks Patterson has done nothing more than add 100 gallons of gasoline to it.

quote:

Secondly, L. Brooks is far and away the most competent politician in the metro area.

Oh, if only his achievements and goals weren't so "Anti-Detroit". Everything Patterson has done was at Detroit's expense. You simply can't have a growing, successful region without a heart, but Patterson thinks the Metro Area can survive without a heart. No one from out of town is going to come out of their way to an auto show in a bland suburb they never heard of. It's ok though, he can enjoy his "anti-Detroit sprawl" while all the outside investment moves to areas with strong city centers (Chicago).

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing would happen at either Novi location without a huge dose of government dollars. The new Rock Financial facility has been privately financed and it's hard to see a scenario where they would expand the facility for a once-a-year event. We don't have enough hotel rooms out here in the area to support that size of show and there's no buses or other forms of transportation to get people from other locations to Novi. It doesn't seem likely that other large conventions are going to come to Novi that would support an expanded center.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4593
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mind of L.B.P. He would quote that He doesn't like black leaders especially in Detroit. But he covers it up and prevent any backlash from anyone. If L.B.P. has the proposals and and the expansion plans in his "WHITE DETROIT CITY" of Oakland County and the N.A.I.A.S. committee might accept.

Now comes the problem: the Silverdome, the Novi Expo Center and the Rock Financial Showplace are further away from public transit lines which would make it very difficult for those who don't have cars to travel to those areas. The N.A.I.A.S. committee might not accept that plan if L.B.P. lure public transit lines to those areas.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson: "If this thing goes down, I'm done," Patterson said. "I'm not going to go back to Detroit to try to resurrect the deal. Five years is enough."

Poor Brooksie. He's tried so hard, worked so hard over the years, and been so accomodating. All of his numerous efforts to extend an olive branch and create regional cooperation has been rejected out of hand by all of the other big, bad regional players.

He should at least be nominated for sainthood for his tireless efforts and sacrifices.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Autoshow move to OC? Sure, but it wouldn't be the premiere auto show, that would move to a more competent city. Why not hand out free umbrellas at cobo?

(Message edited by russix on March 30, 2009)

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's typical Brooksonian blather. Why cooperate when you can incinerate? He's a huge part of the problem as well. He knows that there's no way that anywhere in OC that there's enough room to pull this off.

No hotels nearby for journalists either. May as well just cut his nose off to spite his face. No way that the NAIAS stays here if this happens.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L. Brooks Patterson is just doing his job and is doing what would be best for his county. You can't knock him for doing what he was elected to do.

COBO is not offering good customer service to it's main customer, the NAIAS. If it is lost, the only people to blame are the ones that run COBO.

Novine

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"L. Brooks Patterson is just doing his job and is doing what would be best for his county."

Come on Rjlj, what is LBP trying to accomplish here? How is this "doing what would be best for his county"?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 500 million cash generator is not happy where it is currently at and may move to another state.

He is just trying to win that business, what don't you understand from a business perspective?

Novine

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He is just trying to win that business, what don't you understand from a business perspective?"

I don't understand how Brooks thinks he can win something which he doesn't have the infrastructure to support and the money to finance. Explain to us how he makes that happen.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, come on now! What about the bullshit politics that Detroit is playing?
This is a two way street when Detroit started to drive down the middle of it. LBP, the prick that he is, is just adding signs along the way to divert the traffic his way.
Smart move on his part, shitty decisions by Detroit who once again are being run by people who have no business (or intelligence)being in politics.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can I say... I called it.

I had mentioned in another thread they would have the money, and I told you all there was a plan in place as a contingency.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care for that irritating little man, but L. Brooks has a point. They worked on this deal for five years. Why start again because of an incompetent City Council?

I would hate for NAIAS to leave the city, but I'm afraid the idiots in charge have really put their foot in it this time.

Pray the judge's ruling is the correct ruling.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the region's deterioration and backbiting continues, we may have to kiss the auto show good bye, regardless of what happens to Cobo Hall. Another town will step in.
"Us vs Them" does not work. Neither does ignoring the financial realities of a City deep in the red.

Novine

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pray the judge's ruling is the correct ruling."

I hope you're not basing that on the law. Based on case law and the facts, it's hard to see a decision that doesn't come down on the Council's side, even if that's not the outcome I want.

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly doubt the auto show will retain its international status if it moved to Oakland county. That will be a quick and easy excuse to move the NAIAS to Chicago.

Good luck Brooksie...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I'm not so sure. The Woodward Dream Cruise became a world famous event while taking place almost entirely in the suburbs.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not so sure. The Woodward Dream Cruise became a world famous event while taking place almost entirely in the suburbs."

This is a one-day event. Yes it is in the suburbs but the Woodward Dream Cruise don't get the world-wide press the NAIAS gets. The previous poster was correct. It will go to Chicago before it goes to Oakland County.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward Dream Cruise is more like a week or even month event.There has always been worldwide and national prees coverage.The coverage has been favorable for the most part.I have not found stories about how run down the city or area is,or how depressed the economy is during the days leading up to the cruise.
If the NAIAS goes away,don't blame LBP.He has tried along with many others to keep it in Detroit.After five years I think I would look for an alternative too.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NAIAS is a trademark owned by the DADA (Detroit Area Dealer Association) and no one else. Not the internaltional press and not a trade group of domestic/foreign automakers. The DADA hq is on Big beaver in Troy.

The NAIAS was a 1987 name change to the afore named Detroit Auto Show.

The only way the NAIAS will move to Chicago is to move the DADA to Chicago. Now, that said, it could keep the same name but be rendered meaningless if all the imports move out. That could happen as we already have Porche declining the invitation to attend.

By next year even if we have all the imports, we should not expect to see Hummer, Saturn, GMC, Pontiac nor maybe Mercury. As the teletype crackles along, Chrysler might be toast and even GM could poof, but in any respect the 2010 NAIAS will be a much smaller show.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, Gnome, they sell it off as a revenue stream to Chicago. But I could see them supporting an OC show in a heartbeat. The center of operations and many of their vendors are in Troy.

Detroit's leaders dont' seem to realize that Brooks & Co. have been waiting for this - they really believe they are the center of the region, and have just been waiting for the opportunity where Detroit blows it, which is what they're doing.

Just like the car companies - people can run around and warn folks, but we do everything at the last minute because of the severe lack of vision; which is frankly my worry with BOTH mayoral candidates - no vision from either, just lots of bandaids.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost wondered if LBP was doing this on purpose to try to get the cityclowncil to realize that they need this regional plan to work,,In a normal environment, LBP shooting his mouth off would be enough to stimulate the players in Cobo/City to some sort of common sense to retain the regional plan so as to keep the show and get Cobo going properly. In other words, his comments would rally the troups in Detroit together.. but alas, our city council usually does not have enough brains to even pick up on that situation.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's settled. Let's move the auto show to Oakland County. Brooks can move it to the CTC once Fiat moves Chrysler out to save on the overhead.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't you just display the vehicles at all the abandoned dealerships and run shuttle buses? :-)

Whether or not Cobo needs to be expanded, it does need to be renovated. It's the smaller shows that keep hotels booked several weeks a year. Also, every time there's a sports event-all-star game, final 4, superbowl - the league wants a venue for a festival event for the general public or it won't award the city the event. Auto show or not, Detroit doesn't want to be the largest city without a convention center. It already has that distinction for dept. stores.

Suburbanbliss
Username: Suburbanbliss

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can't wait to have the Auto Show here in Oakland County. Just imagine the economic spin off for even more retail, hotels and restaurants! Detroit once again is pissing away another jewel ala the Lafayette Building.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Brooks CAN'T take the auto show from Detroit. The people in Oakland County don't look like Monica!

Lowell

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like I got called out. :-) NPM.

To Haikoont... Patterson's divisive code-speak racism has been destructive for all of us. Sure Oakland County benefitted from from the flight of people and business from Detroit but, if you look at our city as a whole, an interconnected and interdependent metropolis, which I do, he has merely rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic, by getting them all to his side then gleefully announcing how much seating he has.

Also, since for most of his tenure I lived in Highland Park I did not benefit from any of his purported actions and, if anything, was negatively affected. Under him Oakland County has become largely a wasteful conglomerate of gated communities and strip malls bereft of mass transportation and culture that already rotting at the edges and today his office lies in bankrupt city whose bonds are not triple A. The bill for his reign is coming due.

Goat, you seem to find the regrettable actions of some City of Detroit politicians as an excuse for for LBP's throwing gas, or probably alcohol in his case, on the fires. That is a weak argument and you know it. It's like saying hey you're acting like an idiot so I am going to do it too.

There is a third way, to stand above it, and quietly work for the interest of the entire region. He has chosen the opposite because he has found bottom-feeding the key to his political success. It has been counter productive and we all suffer for it in our regional image.

His days are numbered. A county commission that was once overwhelmingly held by his cronies is down to a majority of one. The prosecutor's and treasurer's seat flipped in the last election and drain and deeds hung by 2 and 5K respectively out of a half million cast.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^And yet L. Brooks got close to 59% of the vote last election. 59 to 41 is a lot of ground to make up.
Brooks is someone who transcends party affiliation. I know plenty of hard core democrats that are big fans of Brooks. My guess is that it's his job until he doesn't want it.

That said, he does need to keep his mouth shut at times. Unfortunately is ego doesn't allow for that.

Lowell

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2004 LBP ran unopposed [okay a Green ran against him] and got 81% but Kerry won OC Presidential for the first time in ages, maybe ever, by a narrow 3K votes. [Obama won by over 100K this time]. Brenda Lawrence was not a strong candidate and had very little name recognition yet climbed to 41. Run a recognized well-funded candidate against him and he will go down. He is vulnerable and no matter how much he claims credit for he has a lot of negatives, his quasi-racism and alcohol problems not the least.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3K to 100K isn't indicative of the county moving that much to the dems as much as a repudiation of 8 years of this states economy being in the tank and wanting change in Washington. OC is blue, but I don't think it's as blue as you'd like to think it is.

There's quite a difference between a Green Party candidate and Brenda Lawrence who is the mayor of Southfield. Only one of them can be considered a nobody.

Also I'm pretty sure the dems have carried OC since 1996 as far as presidential elections go.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 835
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He's not doing to be evil, or racist, or whatever nefarious supervillian reasons you apply to the man. He's doing it because the Auto Show is a massive revenue stream and he wants it to benefit his constituents. Isn't that what an elected official is supposed to do, look out first and foremost for the people he or she represents?

You know, if it were Jennifer Granholm who poached a major manufacturing operation from another state and convinced them to move those jobs to Michigan, she's be hailed as a hero. Isn't that the same thing though? Poaching jobs from one state and bringing them here? She gets praise for that, and rightfully so. When Quicken Loans got incentives to move their HQ from Livonia to Detroit, did you see it as Detroit "stealing" jobs and revenue from Livonia, of Detroit politicians destroying "intra-community relations?" Probably not, but how is that any different?

(Message edited by warriorfan on March 30, 2009)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't that what an elected official is supposed to do, look out first and foremost for the people he or she represents?

Some are of the opinion that working to make the entire region thrive would be more beneficial to Oakland County than trying to grab an ever-larger piece of an ever-shrinking pie, while doing everything possible to ensure that the pie continues to shrink for the foreseeable future. Sooner or later, there won't be anything left to grab, and I think Brooks is closer to that threshold than he realizes.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is a third way, to stand above it, and quietly work for the interest of the entire region. He has chosen the opposite because he has found bottom-feeding the key to his political success. It has been counter productive and we all suffer for it in our regional image.

Yep. that's just it. However, in this day and age, bottom-feeding virtually gets you nowhere.

quote:

I'm not so sure. The Woodward Dream Cruise became a world famous event while taking place almost entirely in the suburbs.

It's also a smaller, local event sponsored by smaller, local places. You don't see "The Today Show" running here to broadcast it. Also, you don't receive the same amount of revenue because there are virtually no big companies involved and the cruise is free of charge.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3856
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland lures, but 2010 auto show stays at Cobo

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090331/NEWS05/903310312/1001/ news/Oakland+lures++but+2010+a uto+show+stays+at+Cobo+

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, Cobo's needed repair for how long? How many deals fell through? Seems D-town just wants money from everyone to spend as THEY see fit. One look at the finances of this city tells that is not a good idea. To hell with it, let Cobo fall into the river, I'm sick of all the posturing.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4601
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP, You going to have to do better that than your proposals if you want to N.A.I.A.S. to come to your "WHITE DETROIT!"

Thw Auto Show stays in Downtown Detroit for years to come.

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find Patterson's statement dangerous and distasteful. Unfortunately, the decision-makers in this unfortunate chapter face a difficult decision. On the one hand, Patterson could choose fighting words in hopes that Cockrel and Conyers work out a deal to keep the authority intact. Whether anyone likes it or not, a regional authority without Oakland County is unlikely to do much good. The message Patterson wants to communicate to Detroit is this: "This is the last exit. You can live with the authority or you can die alone."

On the other hand, Patterson could choose calmer words, but risk appearing to appease the Detroit City Council. I believe Patterson believes with all his heart that Detroit's city government is incomptetent. Patterson's legacy and life's work has been Oakland County's economic and financial strength. Any concessions to Detroit could undermine the good work Patterson has done to build the county's finances. Even those who dislike Patteron's government have to admit that a balanced budget and AAA bond rating are preferable.

I'm not happy with Patterson's words, but many of us would struggle to find the right actions and words in his situation. Politics is always difficult, but politics in metro Detroit can force even the best of people into compromising situations that bring out the worst in them. I'm not saying Patterson is "the best of people," but no one will emerge from this thing spotless.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the discussion going on about Patterson on this thread, is no one at all concerned about the structure of the authority in the current deal?

Patterson isn't just insisting on an authority, he is insisting on an authority where he can have absolute veto power. How can that possibly be in the best interest of the region for any member of the authority to be able to single-handedly bring everything to a halt if they don't like the way things are going?

Patterson obviously doesn't trust Wayne County any more than he trusts Detroit, because he has said that he would always get out-voted if they go by majority rule. So, in my opinion, the structure of the authority does not signal regional cooperation, it signals continued regional distrust.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is keeping the "International" auto show more important than leaving it in Detroit? (if it were to come to that)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets expand the proposed convention center at Hall and I94. Bring it to Macomb County!

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locke09 raises a good point about the authority structure. I think I agree.

I believe Brooks Patterson is about as territorial as any political figure we know in metro Detroit. Part of me feels like he needs to be courageous enough to strike out on faith in favor of regional integration. After all, the strong must be willing to share with the weak and Oakland County's resources certainly put it in the "strong" position. Another part of me feels like Patterson is courageous to protect his county's assets. In this day and age, it is rare for a government to enjoy such solid financial footing. The fact that Patterson's government accomplished this despite several years of recession is remarkable. Patterson has also invested his administration in building the economic diversity (and sustainability) of Oakland County. These are rare assets in metro Detroit. It would be easy to cave under the pressure of politics and public opinion, but perhaps the courageous course is to stand for competence and strength. After all, Patterson is responsible to his constituents first.

Patterson is a smart enough politician to know that people in Detroit don't vote for him. He is also smart enough to know that the regional authority proposal is risky business in the first place. That is, it's risky business for Oakland County. I give him credit for coming as far as he has come to support the measure.

In crude terms, I won't marry a crazy woman to help her. She would soon drain me of all my energy and resources and I wouldn't be worth anything to her, myself, or anyone else. It's usually best to help the crazy woman from a safe distance (or choose not to help her at all). Give Patterson credit: He has said he's willing to marry the crazy woman, but she's gone berserk the week before the wedding and he's having strong second thoughts. Does he really want to live with this day in and day out?

Would you?

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irvine_laird,

I'm laughing in spite of myself at the "crazy woman" analogy.

To answer your question though, I don't think Patterson is at all opposed to marrying the crazy woman, as long as he has "power of attorney" over all her affairs and could have her committed if necessary. Besides, he has profitted greatly from the engagement already.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.