Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Chrysler's already hooked up with Fiat « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5474
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously they had the deal ready to go and were just waiting for the Admin's ok.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29 958784/

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the AllPar site:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/ado pted/fiat/fiat-cars.html

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiat has nothing to lose. They aren't giving Chrysler any money and get 35% of zero. If Chrysler can turn it around, Fiat is the big winner because they will get a majority of Chrysler and employees will still have a job.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4600
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like President Obama is NO FOOL! He is serious about the GM and Chryler's restructuring proposal not only for the unions but also of their budgets. So far Chrysler and Fiat has done their global merger for the moment However Fiat's execs. is still feeling the risk of dealing Chrysler's debt. Now GM will have to face some business hurdle. Especially after Wagoner gone.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, I can't wait to get one of those USA-built Alfa Romeos!

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Obama has Nardelli step down as well.

Brg
Username: Brg

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, if the Fiat deal deal fall through, Obama won't have no problem telling Nardelli to "hit the bricks"

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting for one of these:

The Fiat 500 Abarth

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/06/stories/12/1.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Fiat-500-Abarth-CAR-review/

http://jalopnik.com/5155109/fiat-500-abarth-ss-gives-mini-cooper-s-italian-job

Video review:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-275766490345514091

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not cramming a family of five into that!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9157
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of the Jalopnik guys are regulars at Eph's, they are a wild bunch of enthusiasts...almost rabid!

What a blast if more Euro econo-hotrods make it to our shores...even IF this one comes shipped in a wooden crate.

Curious, this...the $3,500 option is ONLY dealer-installable to the original Fiat 500. It doesn't come from the factory this hyped up.

Choose one, ferry the entire family around slowly in some minivan OR drive like hell with only a few of the luckier members in the car, grinning like fools.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9158
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jalopnik is calling the whole debacle the Carpocalypse. Beautiful.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5475
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I can't help but giggle at the thought of these little cars plopping into big snowbanks - sort of like the Powerwheel pros the Jalops like so much.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smaller cars have made it through worse!

http://thestar.blogs.com/.a/6a 00d8341bf8f353ef010536ea77b297 0b-800wi

:-)

O.

Mopardan

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just offer me a Challenger SRT-8 at under $30k & I'll be happy. :-)

srt8

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice car. I bet the powers in washington force it to be discontinued in 2 years, tops.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 947
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup..no Challenger, no Camaro..no nasty ol' pickups & SUV's..just GREEN cars, powered by happy fairy dust twinkled down from magic-land on a wind-powered sleigh.
Ford has gotta be laughing all the way to the bank about this balls-up..

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford won't be selling many Mustangs, either.

You all think gas is gonna stay around $2 per gallon? Guess again. When gas goes back up to $4.50 before too long, Challengers, Camaros and the like will only appeal to a VERY small niche market.

Cars are only transportation. They're not dream machines or something romantic like that. Not any more.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still will not drive an ovary on wheels. I don't care if it has the ability to throw seed and flower a roadside, I won't do it!

My 6'1" husband would not be caught dead in that thing. He's still pining for his '73 Javelin that I made him sell to help pay for our wedding. I feel so bad for him now.

Mopardan

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care if the thing runs on farts provided I get an honest 425 horses out of it. As far as gas prices go, this wouldn't be my daily driver anyway. How many Mustangs do you see on the road? Gawd, there are tons of them out there, esp the V-6 version. Trucks will still be made because that's what the public wants.

Say it ain't so Mash!!! My wife let me keep my '73 Charger...although it's in pieces in the garage at this time. It may see the light of day again before I die.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He still has his testosterone Ram Charger. That counts for something, doesn't it?

Your wife "let you"? LOL! We have THE POWER!

Mopardan

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That counts, but I can see where he'd miss the Javelin.
I should've probably worded that differently as she has never given me any static whatsoever about it. Even with our shed jammed full of parts...trying to get the mower out is like running an obstacle course. ;-)

Fury13

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the Fiat 500 variant that I'm waiting for:

Fiat wagon 09

... the Giardiniera wagon (more room in the back than the standard 500). Well styled for a small car, I think. Hopefully they'll be built in the U.S. by the time I'm ready to buy.

Mopardan

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, if I get the Challenger(unlikely) or finally get that beast of a Charger on the road I'll probably wind up having to buy something economical to balance it out. I love the V-8 of my Durango but with gas prices creeping back up, absorbing the costs of that plus another 8 is out of the question. If it means a 4-cyl Mopar, well, so be it. I had a Daytona with a turbo, enjoyed the on-demand power & the MPG wasn't bad at all.

Fury13

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mopardan, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a toy (like a restored '58 Fury with the dual-quad Golden Commando engine) to take out once in awhile on a Sunday, but right now and for the next few years, practical finances won't allow that for me. Frugality has to be first for me when it comes to daily transportation. I do understand where you're coming from, though, and your plan to "balance it out" sounds pretty logical.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trucks will still be made because that's what the public wants.

It is what the marketing people make you think you need and what gets the largest employee discounts.

Mopardan

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, I'll remember that as I see countless F-150s, Rams, & Silverados clogging the roads down here. Not trying to be an a**hole about it, just telling ya what I observe. Even Tundras appear as they're made down the highway in San Antonio...well sometimes they are. Even the Toyo guys are feeling the pinch. LOL

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am only disagreeing with the statement of "it is what people want".

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sometimes I can't help but giggle at the thought of these little cars plopping into big snowbanks

I giggle when I see a huge Dodge Ram/Ford F-150/Chevy Silverado go into a wicked spin on a slippery freeway. I try to make sure they see my laughing and pointing as I drive by.

Also, it's funny to watch Ford Mustang drivers manipulate themselves through the snow. Only now is Ford offering traction control on that model.

Ha!

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a stick shift Pinto in the 1970's and early 1980's that maneuvered me through snow storms and ruts just fine. Depends on how you handle the car. It sounds funny, I know, but I was never stuck or slid around.

Fury13

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and I used to have a '59 Buick without seat belts, and never once got impaled on its steering wheel in an accident.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish the three of them had gotten together years ago and pooled resources to really develop a high-performance, high fuel efficiency engine.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt that you'll see any of the small Fiats here, as they can't meet US safety standards. If they're changed to do so, then they'll add a few hundred pounds, increase engine power to compensate and decrease mileage. Therein lies the same problem faced by GM, Chrysler and Ford - reconciling federally (or state) mandated mileage, emission and safety requirements, and market desires.

Fury13

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's already been noted in the press that the 500 is one of the cars that Fiat intends to bring to the U.S. as a result of the Chrysler agreement. Fiat leads the European makers in reducing emissions.

Fury13

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://consumerguideauto.howst uffworks.com/2011-fiat-500.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.