Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Eating out on a budget... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cooking is hit and miss, tonight I am paying for it, should have stuck to half off at the WAB tonight...I know where to get a cheap breakfast-lunch can be cheaply made at home; its cheaper to get carryout (saves on the tip) Subway has a filling Pizza for around 4 dollars -few bucks more gets a sandwhich and chips etc.etc.etc.Can you guys reccomend any cheap eating establishments. or spots that feature daily specials...

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before we moved to Toledo last fall, we used to go to Ching Panda on Kelly and Morang at least once a week. Their dinners include an entree, an egg roll, and a large portion of fried rice. It is enough to feed two people for $6.94 out the door!

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day people cooked at home and it is cheaper. We ate for days on spaghetti, soup, certain ethnic dishes. People are too lazy to cook one or two big meals and live of them for the week to save a lot. Breakfast? Cereal is a bargain. Lunch? Tough to beat PB&J or simple lunchmeat for a cheap eat.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National Coney Island. Most meals around $5 or $6 and they have locations all over the Metro area. http://www.nationalconeyisland .com/ I'm craving a Hani Special just thinking about this!

You can always try the Little Ceasers $5 Hot and Ready Pizza.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Wah (for a change.) Eating at home is always cheaper. Get a cookbook or take a class. (Or see what is on sale in the frozen food aisle.)

(Message edited by Pam on March 31, 2009)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Ong and Pam. Soup and hard boiled eggs are two things that are always handy to have around. Splurge on a loaf of great bread from Avalon and you have food fit for the gods. If you have an oven or toaster over, those Bobolis or other kind of pizza crusts with pizza toppings will be quick and good. Stock up on onions, peppers, celery, and you can saute up a bunch, add beans, meat, rice and seasonings for a great fast one pan dinner.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learning to cook is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Go to a restaurant supply place, buy a cheap skillet that can go stovetop to oven. For breakfast of the gods:

three eggs, beaten with a little water (about 1/8 cup) add cheese, any kind, any vegetables laying around, salt and pepper. Melt a little butter, add egg mixture, let the bottom set a bit then into a 350 oven for about 15 minutes, or till you see the top has set. Toast, bacon or sausage if you want ( in fact you can pre-cook meat and put it in the egg mixture). Coffee. 25 minutes of your life.

Oatmeal is even quicker.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with eating out every night is you'll spend at least 10 bucks and pile on the calories. An expanded waist-line and a shrinking wallet makes for sad TerryH.

Not to intrude, but your problem could actually come down to planning - or the lack of it. Not to be harsh, but if you walk into a kitchen without a plan, you could walk out with a peanut butter souffle with anchovy garnish.

Ongowwah's suggestion hints at the good old days when womenfolk were chained to the Sunday oven baking and boiling and roasting all day. I suspect you have better things to do with your Sundays.

What you need is a recipe and shopping plan. Find recipes that you like, and that you can make in 20 minutes ... shop accordingly.

On Non-Detroit there is a food thread, you might find stuff there, but here's one recipe that you make in 15 minutes, serves two, and costs about 4 bucks:

Spaghetti and clam sauce with a vegi side.
Ingredients
-1 can minced clams
-1 small onion
-2 clove garlic
-splash olive oil
-angel hair pasta
-dried or fresh chives
-frozen vegies

Pour 3 cups of water in pan, boil.
While water is boiling, in a fry pan pour in oil, dice onion and garlic, cook onion until clear add garlic and entire contents of clams, turn heat to simmer.

By now the pasta water is boiling, add pasta with a dash of oil and pinch of salt.

Stir clams. Cover.

Open frozen vegies, put in micro and cook for 3 minutes.

Test pasta, stir clams. Once the micro dings, the pasta is done, drain, and place back in same pan. Add clams to pasta. Toss together. Cover. No heat.

Check vegies.

Serve up the pasta/clams garnish with chives. Dish up vegies.

I like adding diced sweet red peppers at the end for the crunch and the color, but they might be outside your budget.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.greatdepressioncooking.com. quick, easy an cheap. and clara is fun to watch too.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been putting my slow cooker to good use lately...and everything you make in it is moist and delicious! I especially love pork loin done in it....enough for 2 meals. i use the left overs to make pulled bbq pork sandwiches the next day. You just have to do a litle planning the night before to lineup you ingredients. But it is cheap and good, and ready when you get home form work. Love that part.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit. i love pork loin which i usually grill. when you use a slow cooker for it, does it brown up the outside of the pork? i like mine a little on the "cripsy" side.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4666
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i use the left overs to make pulled bbq pork sandwiches the next day.

Well, using pork loin to make barbecue! Aren't you just eatin high on the hog? :-)

This begs the question: what's your sauce?

Detroitbred

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use chicken broth when I cook the pork loin, with some other seasonings...cracked pepper, seasoning salt, a little dill, etc. Melts in your mouth! Yum. The top will get a little crispy, but with the broth, not all over.When I do the pulled pork, I just put the left overs in a sauce pan with the bbq sauce ( been using Sweet Baby Rays lately ) with some cracked pepper, etc. Let it simmer and shredd it up.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...noticed Kroger has pork loin on sale... ( Busch's too I think )when you can get 2 meals out of one loin it is very inexpensive. They can be cut into nice boneless pork chops for bbq also. It is one of my favortie things to cook, and the results are always worth it.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taqueria Tapitia on West Vernor at Clark: two fresh generous steak tacos with rice and beans: $3.50. Free with order: good salsa and chips.

Cheaper still - the taco trucks in parking lots: homemade tacos for $1.25 each (carry-away only). The working men pick up lunch and dinner from these trucks

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I splurge, I eat raw lamb a pound at a time! Yummmmm!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A large meal in a crockpot, once weekly, yields two days of good eating. Dress up the leftover meal with salad or good bread, maybe a glass of wine.
Cheap, delicious, and you are greeted with the aroma of home cooking when you arrive after work, errands, etc.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"its cheaper to get carryout (saves on the tip)"

Technically you don't have to tip the waitress when you dine in either. Of course it's not smart if you plan to go back again.

My rule of thumb is a buck plus the coins for a $10 order and 2 bucks plus the coins for a $20 order. You're still dealing with people who are making the majority of their living off tips and they're spending time putting your order together.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl......Exactly!!!! I hate making dinner when I get home, but with the crockpot, nothing to make but a side dish or salad , veg. etc. So much easier and tastes great.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crockpot is the best. You come home and dinner's ready. Another option is a cooking magazine called Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious. Most of the recipes are sent in by home cooks and are easy to prepare, some with only five ingredients. And Terryh since you're on the internet there are many cooking websites from food companies, celeb chefs, grocery stores, cooking magazines, etc. A popular one is allrecipes.com.

With the economy the way it is eating out for my family is a luxury. If you "drive thru" or "sit down" every day you spend way too much. There's nothing cheap when it comes to eating out. Just take the time to plan meals for a couple days or a week, make the grocery list and stick to it. Use grocery store circulars or websites to take advantage of sales for planning. It's easy to pick up things you don't need in the grocery store. Buy fruits & veggies at small fresh produce markets or the Eastern Market. We have a decent one that I go to in Dearborn. Prices are much cheaper than the grocery stores. The same for meats & fish. Small meat markets or Gratiot Central. Once you get in the habit of planning every week it's easy and you'll eat better.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are making me hungry....

Thanks for the advice...

Detroitbred

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Msamslex....I have found many great recipes on Allrecipes, and also in Taste of Home Magazine..love them both. Rachael Rays magazine also has some really good recipes too. I have quite a few cook cooks but find I use the internet much more often to find new and interesting things to cook. My husband and I used to eat out 2 or 3 times a week...no more. Maybe once now, using coupons whenever we have them, and drinking water helps keep the cost down.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.