Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Theme Music for Old Tiger radio broadcasts? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mitchegan
Username: Mitchegan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the start and end of 60's-70's broadcasts,
there was marching band music.It wasn't "Hail
to the Victors",but something similar.Does
anybody here remember it? If you do,by chance,
do you know the name of the tune?

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vividly remember the melody,(it was no where near the melody of the Victors, by the way) but have never heard the actual name of the march. The Tigers used it from the time I started listening to Ernie in the early 60's. I have a friend that used to be an engineer at WJR, I will try to remember to ask him. He might know the name of the march.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got an mp3 of that intro, if you're interested.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just happened to be searching for this music, and found this site tonight. Looks good. I'll need to check it out some more this weekend when I have more time.

I would love to have an MP3 of the intro:

"Detroit Tigers Baseball is On The Air! da da da DA, DA, DADA, DAda...". Then near the end, they would voice-over the "brought to you by:" sponsors.

It's for a family project. Converting old 16mm/8mm/super 8 movies to DVD. With old time radio, music, and my parents' "rememberances" as the soundtrack of the old silent films, so they are not "silent" anymore.

Please send it to me at jrvass @ comcast . net

Thanks!

James

PS. This probably isn't the right forum for this, but it is related to the project. I need audio clips of the "Electrifying Mojo" too. The movies switched to video in the early 80's. Mojo fits right in with the wardrobe of that era.

"Hold on tight, don't let go!
Don't say damn, just say whoa!"

Jrvass

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Jrvass

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump again

Exdetroiterinct
Username: Exdetroiterinct

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On January 3, Wally wrote that he has an MP3 version of the old Tiger theme music from WJR. Would you be willing to share it with me? One of my favorite childhood memories was listening to Tiger night games in my bed as I fell asleep, and I have very powerful memories of that theme music, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't say damn, say triple whammy wo!"

How about this forgotten gem from the early '90s?

Remember Dizzy and Ty
Senor Smoke
The Bird
Stormin' Norman

There's Gibby and the Gator
Hammerin' Hank
Mickey Cochrane, too

Now Sparky's the same
And Ernie's on the mike
With Ilitch, it's a whole new ballgame

Talkin' bout the Tigers
I love my Detroit Tigers (Remember '68!)

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wally, if you're around with that mp3:

bob<dot>moreo<at>gmail<dot>com

hook a brutha up!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tried, too, rather fruitlessly, to get a copy of that. WJR was not helpful at all, plus the Ernie Harwell collection did not have anything (granted it was Paul Carey's voice at the beginning). I also remember the RIF Morning Crew doing a satire with the theme as if a mosquito were buzzing the music. Anyone that can find a copy (looks like wally fell off the face of the thread), I'm sure more than just the few people posting here would like a chance to have it.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Paul Carey!

And put Jim Price out to pasture.

Jrvass

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bomb her with requests... She remembers the march and knew that Paul Carey was the voice.
------------------------------ --
To: ann.thomas@abc.com
Cc: jrvass@xxxx.net
Subject: Tiger opening with Paul Carey

Thank you so much for looking for this recording!

My home email is cc:d.

Thank you.

Jim Vass
517-xxx-4707
248-xxx-4438

Jrvass

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She wrote me today to say she can't find it at WJR.

James

Cfensch
Username: Cfensch

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a copy of it on my blog.

http://asaboyinmichigan.blogsp ot.com/

It's from a WJR broadcast on their history of sports. I've posted the music portion.

Go Tiges!

Jrvass

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet,

http://www.baseball-almanac.co m/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxi d=196808160BOS

8/16/68

So this should be the opening for the Tigers in 1969.

James

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks cfensch, I have been looking for that for a long time

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! Thank you Cfensch.

Does anyone know the name of this march song?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.