Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Smuggling food into the state? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5355
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the devil - some will do anything for $$

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicl e/2008/10/state_police_confisc ate_contam.html

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know where this food was headed. For human consumption? Stores, restaurants, prisons? For pig feed (which puts it into the human food chain)?

This really fuels the desire to eat what we know is locally produced. Bring back the family farms now!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5505
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have started to buy more and more food from the Royal Oak Farmers Market, not just for veggies but for organic meat and eggs. What agribuisness is sending us to eat is beginning to freak me out. This shipment was stopped. How much else has gotten through?

I'm lucky I can afford these choices. Uninformed and under incomed (I know that's not a word) people are stuck eating Chinese plastic, for god's sake.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5356
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a hunch but my guess is it was headed for an asian restaurant or two rather than stores.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or dollar stores. Have you looked closely at the goods in those places?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6607
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IONIA — Michigan State Police confiscated some contaminated, unrefrigerated food headed to Grand Rapids stores from Chicago, police say.

Two days in a row recently I had toast (wheat and white) with a strong burnt plastic flavor at a well-known Michigan restaurant chain. I told them about it and refused it. After a few days I tried it again and it seemed okay. I believe they have fixed the problem.

Melamine was first noticed in pet food and was said not to have entered the food chain. It was later found in animal feed and wheat gluten suggesting that it had entered the food chain.

There was a recent article stating that the FDA had established a small maximum amount of melamine that would be tolerated in food. The (cover?) story was that the FDA had to establish some limit in order to be able to reject food that failed tests. What they neglected to mention in the story was that there is no excuse for any melamine in food since it is added only to deceive protein tests and is not a natural food component.

Be alert. People have already died from this poison. The motive is money and the means are deception.

I'd like to latch the entire article here (as just now sampled from http://www.detnews.com/):
quote:

Saturday, October 4, 2008

FDA: Traces of melamine are not harmful in foods

Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar / Associated Press

WASHINGTON
-- Tiny traces of melamine, the chemical that has set off a global food safety scare, are not harmful in most foods, except baby formula, government experts said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said Friday its safety experts have concluded that eating a minuscule amount of melamine -- 2.5 parts per million -- would not raise health concerns, even if a person ate food every day that was tainted with the chemical.

"It would be like if you had a million grains of sand and they were all white, and you had two or three that were black, that's kind of the magnitude," said Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA's food safety program.

The FDA guideline is meant to help federal and state investigators checking for contaminated foods from China at ports of entry and in Asian community groceries around the country. "We are trying to identify products that have levels we are really concerned about, rather than trying to find the last molecule," said Sundlof. For example, melamine levels in imported Chinese candies recalled last week in California were as high as 520 parts per million, about 200 times greater than the level set on Friday by the FDA for "tolerable" risk.

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 12, 2008)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 15303
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sell food at dollar stores? Haven't frequented one yet.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FDA means Free to Do Anything to this administration.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6608
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bindeez

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed a huge drop in quality in Kroger name brand products lately. Stretch that dollar a few more times huh?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 15306
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Noticed a huge drop in quality"? How so?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to shop at Kroger, Cc - not Macy's. Try and walk a mile in our shoes.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 15310
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Macy's has groceries? If they do, I don't go there to get them (or go there for anything for that matter). What are you talking about? My point is that most generic food items are exactly the same as the name brands with a different label. I usually opt for them because the price is lower for the same thing.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2577
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc - having a fit. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.