Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit's Big Breweries History Products « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit breweries, some still standing. I am a collector of Detroit beer cans, bottles and signs. Here are a few of the large post prohibition breweries in Detroit Michigan. I also included some photos of artifacts of these breweries.

Altes Brewing Co. 1948-1954, formerly the Tivoli Brewing company. Located 10113 Mack
Brands: Altes, Altes Bock, 7/11 the Natural Brew

E&B Brewing Ekhardt & Becker Near Eastern Market! 1881-1962 E&B purchased the Schmidt brewery in 1951. Merged with Pfeiffer brewing company in 1962
Brands: E&B Premium Beer, E&B Golden Bud Ale, E&B Brew 103, Cardinal Beer
Building is now be converted to lofts: http://www.e-bbrewerylofts.com/

Goebel Brewing Co. 1873-1964 Located near Stroh's brewery site. Building is gone. Purchased by Stroh brewing company in 1964
Brands: Goebel Gold Label, Goebel Private Stycok 22, Goebel Bantam Beer/Ale, Goebel Draft Beer

Koppitz-Melchers Brewing Company 1891-1947 Located at the foot of Dubois St. at the river.
Brands: Koppitz Beer, Silver Star, Pale Select
Purchased by Goebel in 1947 and converted to Goebel plant #2

National Brewing Company 1954-1967 Located 3765 Hurlbut Ave
Brands: Altes, Altes Golden Lager, National Sportsman Ale, Colt 45

Pfeiffer Brewing Company 1889-1966
Brands: Pfeiffer's, North Star, Pfeiffers Extra Special. Johnny Pfeiffer was the company's mascot.
Photo of existing building: http://detroit1701.org/Pfeiffer.html
Schmidt Brewing Company 1933-1951 Located at 1940/1995 Wilkins Street.
Brand's Schmidt's
Purchased by E&B In 1951

Stroh Brewing Company 1850-1989 Located near I-75 and Gratiot
Brands: Stroh's Bohemian Style Beer

Tivoli Brewing Co. 1898-1948 Located at 10113 Mack Ave
Brands: Altes

JHohnny Pfeiffer

Goebel Beer Case 1939

Schmidt's Beer Cans Detroit MI

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Cybersanford.

Here is something you don't see every day:

koppitz

Koppitz Pale Select
miniature salt & pepper shaker set

This set likely pre-dates 1940, which is when my aunt and uncle married and left their waitress and bartender jobs to move to another city. I found them among my aunt's things after she died a few years ago and her executor gave them to me.

My father began working at Goebel Brewery on 15 Dec 1946 and began his journeyman brewer apprenticeship on 15 June 1948. He left the brewery around 1953 and went into plumbing. Here is one of the books he used during his apprenticeship:

The Practical Brewer

One of the few "benefits" that came with the job was the ability to drink "shorts" during lunch. "Shorts" were the under-filled bottles of beer that had been rejected by the inspector and set aside for the workers. My dad said that there is nothing like the taste of fresh-brewed beer (especially a theoretically unlimited free supply of it), but if you couldn't control yourself, you were headed for trouble. I think that might have been one of the reasons he headed out the door instead for a new career in plumbing.

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cyber; i worked at strohs for 20 yrs.,i have flat sheets of there 16 oz. cans before they were rolled,glassware,and pewter plates for stroh special events. i remember many of the beers you mentioned. nostalga aint it great LOL

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I miss most aren't the buildings but the beers especially Stroh's-it was my favorite brand.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preservation Wayne has a tour coming up that may interest some of you folks...

http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/

June 16, 10 AM - Eastern Market Brewing History Tour. Join PW guides Pat and Pete Cornils as they take you on a 90 minute walking tour of five historic brewing sites in Eastern Market. Learn how and why this area became so important to the brewery history of Detroit - and what is happening to the brewery sites in the future. The tour is topped off with a surprise icy cold beverage. Tickets are $15. Reservations are required. Email info@preservationwayne.org , or call 313.577.7674.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That tour sounds great! Has anyone here taken a Preservation Wayne tour?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course! And some of us lead Preservation Wayne tours!! What do you want to know?

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather worked at a number of breweries over the years, but when he retired in 1956, he was at Pfeiffer's. Thanks for the pic Cybersanford. I remember riding with my grandmother to pick him up from work in early 50's and was fascinated by the covered walkway over the street (I was about 5 or 6 and didn't realize at the time that these were typical in any factory). I was impressed when my grandfather told me he had walked through that walkway and I wanted to do it too. Talk about selected memories! Years later whenever I drank a Pfeiffer beer, I always thought about him.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course! And some of us lead Preservation Wayne tours!! What do you want to know?

I'm assuming the tours take you inside the buildings, is the information discussed about them more about the history or the architecture? How many people usually show up?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some general info on the Preservation Wayne walking tours:

Each PW tour is different, but unless the buildings are open to the public on a general basis, we don't go in them. That would add exponentially to the length of the tour (which usually run 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours long); or the scope of the tour would have to be reduced.

History and architecture are generally discussed on most of the tours, but it depends on the tour guide's knowledge and interest.

Tours range in number from one to 30 or 40. It depends on the tour.

The above-mentioned Eastern Market Breweries Tour is a one-of-a-kind special tour being offered through Preservation Wayne. No details on exactly what the scope of the tour is, whether the buildings where the breweries once were will be open to see inside.

Scoop1967
Username: Scoop1967

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All, this will be my first (and long) post on this forum although I've been reading and enjoying it for quite some time.
(Note: if the maps links hang up, right click and open in new window)

Two of the original Goebel buildings are still standing,the main Brewhouse and other buildings where torn down after Stroh's bought them. The larger of the two remaining buildings held the Stroh Ice Cream production plant until it recently closed:
Goebel Remaining Buildings (From Live Search) Goebel also had the rights to brew Guinness in the late 50's and these items are very collectable.

Detroit Brewing Company and E&B are still standing back to back in Eastern Market.
DBC and E&B
E&B is to the left with the now red building being the former bottling plant and the main brewhouse across Winder (notice the pipe line still connects between them)
DBC takes up both sides of Adelaide. For further info and great photos of DBC see oldbru.com

Only one small Building remains from Schmidt and it is slowing falling apart.

From WSU Virtual Motor City:

WSU Schmidt Brewery

My photo 2007

Schmidt 2007

The remaining building:

Remaing Schmidt Building

Pfeiffer is all there except for the original brewhouse. The grassy area in the middle is where is stood.
Pfeiffer Brewing Co.

The rarest of Beer Cans in Detroit came from Regal Brewey located just south of Pfeiffer. only 5 cans are known to exist. Regal is the building to the left of the white one.

Regal Brewing CO.

Tivoli/Altes, National and both Koppitz - Melchers plants are gone. Koppitz had thier original brewing at Gratiot and Superior (Faygo now owns the property)

Detroit Brewing History is far larger than the this small amount of inforamtion. One of the best books available is called Brewed In Detroit by Peter H. Blum and covers Detroit Brewing since 1830 with tons of old photos. I think I bought mine at Borders.

One last shot is of me in the basement of Goebel/Stroh this year after the Ice Ceam Plant closed, in my never ending search for brewery artifacts and collectibles. These are unrolled can sheets from the early 70's. I later found a few from the late 60's

sheets

(Message edited by scoop1967 on June 06, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regal beer can

Don't remember where on the web I found this picture of a Regal can.

Scoop1967

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the only on grade example known. The other 4 known are in outdoor condition (or dumper condition as we say) That photo was probably from http://www.mbcinfo.com/ which is currently offline at the moment.
Anyone else have photos of the breweries when they where in operation? or how about Local brews being consumed?
There is a thread on the site I run showing 'consumption' of brews from all over the US. including one from the late 1800's.
http://www.therustybunch.com/p hpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2877
(P.S. I love the spell check feature of this board)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scoop, thanks for the brief tour. My brother has a copy of Brewed in Detroit, so I've read parts of it. I just don't recall the locations of the various breweries as clearly described in that book as what you described above. Your post also seems to be a good primer for the Wayne Preservation Brewery tour, which, unfortunately, I won't be able to make.

Of course, I remember the Stroh's building and the free beer they offered--who could beat that! A lot of these pix remind me of that big old brick brewery.

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple of photos of some "new" Packard beer trucks, from the NAHC.

Packard Tivoli

Packard Goebel

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Detroityes Cybersanford. Did you buy that Pfeiffer plaster piece at a Gibraltar trade show? I sold mine there about 15 years ago, and maybe you bought it from me. Nice collection!

Scoop1967

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Boy!!!!!!
Horn, you have me excited with this one.

That Goebel photo is looking south on Rivard. The building in the back of the photo is the small building that is still standing that I had mentioned in my first post. A canopy now runs between it and the larger production facility which also cuts Rivard of right there now. The building in the forefront is no longer standing and was part of the original brewhouse.
Here is a current photo of this building. The line of second floor windows are painted black and are covered by the canopy.

1000 Building

Now, the address is 1300 Maple which can be confusing because that isn't Maple. It's actually Sherman.
Here is another current photo looking south on Rivard (now a parking lot) you can see the old sidewalks and how Rivard and Sherman intersected.
The building to the right is the former production plant.

One more tidbit. On the Production Building at the Top Center you can see a large circle. This was/is the Goebel Eagle Emblem. When the sun hits it right, the Eagle can be seen through the White paint. It is simular to this label.

label

The sign is made up of 6 pieces, you can see the bottom of the left wing on the bottom left piece, the left shoulder on the top left piece and the squiggly bottom feather part on the bottom middle piece.

emblem

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all the posters on this thread!!! I am glad to get it started. I have learned much more about Detroit Breweries! I might have to go for a little tour this weekend!

Great post Scoop1967 and mikem

Mikem

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scoop, are any of these buildings on Mack part of the Altes brewery?

Scoop1967

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mikem

I've been told the building on the left was part of it, but I have no Old Photos to verify that fact.The only picture I have is an artist depiction from 1898 that really doesn't show much.
By the way, where did you get the Pfeiffer Brewery Drawing, that's an interesting piece. Also, is there another page going to the right(south) because the main Brewhouse is cut off and other buildings went all the way to Mack and there were some on the south side of Mack.

(Message edited by scoop1967 on June 07, 2007)

Scoop1967

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cybersanford,

Thanks for the kind words. After reading this message board for the last few weeks, I know there is a awful lot of Detroit knowledge around. I'll bet we can get even more old photos posted and keep our brewing heritage alive.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Auto City Brewery

wsu/vmc

This was the Auto City Brewery on McDougall, not sure of the address. The 1920ish Sanborn shows it north of Dodge Main, near Denton, but I think they later moved further south on the same street.

Mikem

Post Number: 3357
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Virtual Motor City lists the Auto City Brewery address as 3214 McDougall.

Scoop, the Pfeiffer drawing was the centerfold of one of their annual reports from the 1950s (also showing their Flint Plant):

Scoop1967

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Mikem, Thanks for the full shot.
Here is a close-up front shot of the Stock House (across from the BrewHouse) as it looks today.

stockhouse

Closer close-up

stock2

The Auto City address was 8214 McDougall, up in Hamtramck. VMC 3214 must be a misprint.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of photos of the "new" Koppitz-Melchers Brewing Co building, from WSU/Virtual Motor City.

Koppitz-Melchers Brewery

Koppitz-Melchers Brewery

Scoop1967

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Koppitz on Dubois, you can see the Detroit River in the background. The sad thing about that building is that is was built in 1935, Goebel acquired it in 1947 and when Stroh's bought out Goebel, they demolished it in 1964. Such a great building only lasted 29 years.
Anyone have aerial photos from this time period?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Tivoli plaque came up for auction at DuMochelles a few years back.

tivoli

Scoop1967

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, nice piece Track75,
Unlike most of the other Detroit brewers that reopened after the repeal of prohibition in 1933, Tivoli had to wait for reconditioning of thier plant until 1934 so that would be the original plaque from the reopening, very cool!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately my write-in bid (about $250 I think) was too low. Not sure what I'd do with a 3' wide brass plaque. After a few years it'd probably get stored away.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL,

If this is a duplicate, it's so easy to pass over but the great history of Detroit Brewers was written Peter Blum of Strohs.

See "Brewed in Detroit: Breweries and Beers Since 1830" (Great Lakes Books): Books: Peter H. Blum by Peter H. Blum.

www.amazon.com/Brewed-Detroit- Breweries-Beers-Since/dp/08143 26617

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what were the motto's/jingles that those Detroit breweries used on radio?

1. Take a tip from Johnny Pfeiffer, ask for Pfeiffer;s Beer.
2. Have you tried E and B lately?
3. Brewster, the Goebel rooster, from Vat 22.
4. Stroh's--firebrewed for better taste.
5. Drewery's--All I can remember is the poster of the guy who looked like he was a member of the Canadian Mounted Police!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall that Altes used a slogan referring to it having a "Fass-Bier" flavor or taste. I vaguely remember seeing Van Patrick Tout Altes when he did sports on WJBK TV2 in the 60's.
I sometimes drank Altes years ago-not a bad beer actually. This thread is interesting but in a way saddens me a lot. Things from Detroit's history & heritage gone and never coming back.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Brewing Co., history pages:

http://www.oldbru.com/index.ht ml

Scoop1967

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Brewing Co. is a cool building, and the family members do a great job on that site.
Here are 2 recent photos.

Front view looking south on Orleans.

dbc1

Looking East on Adelaide. At top of brewery
there is still the ghostly Oldbru sign!

dbc2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another find in the WSU/VMC, the E&B Bottling Plant:

E&B Bottling Plant

Scoop1967

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And as it looks today (tear forming in eye)

eb3

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 986
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is off the Detroit nature of this thread, but back in my beer-guzzling days (read: "daze,") my Beer Of Choice was Blatz, which was from Milwaukee and was brewed since 1851. I no longer drink, but shortly before I quit, Blatz disappeared from our local shelves. My sentimentality may be pointless, as I have no current need (read: "lust") for their product, but I was wondering if anyone knew the status of the brand, or why it slowly disappeared from this area. (I thought maybe it was discontinued a long time ago, and it just took Yours Truly a few years to gradually gulp down all the remaining stock.) Blatz was a good example of how, when it comes to beer, inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap and lousy. Good taste, fairly light, but hearty.

Scoop1967

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's and Blatz are both licenced to the Pabst Brewing Company. Click the link to find distributors in your area.

Scoop1967

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little more of E & B.

Front: Looking east on Winder.

eb1

Close up of Stock Cellar

eb2

Still says E & B after 40 years

eb4

A closer look:

eb5

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought you guys would be interested in this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/photo-of-e very-beer-made-in-detroit-mich igan-in-1940_W0QQitemZ22011960 7212QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14279QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a photo of all the beers made in Detroit in the 40's ... not my auction, but the thread made me go on ebay to see what was for sale ...

Oldbru
Username: Oldbru

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,
This is my first post here. I created the web site about the Detroit Brewing Company (Oldbru.com)and would like to thank Scoop1967 for the nice comments about the site. I've spent quite a few years researching the history of my families brewery. I've had a chance to explore inside the entire building and found it pretty interesting. It's still being used for cold storage, although most of the upper floors are empty. I'd like to see the few remaining brewery structures still standing in Detroit receive historical status so they could be preserved for future generations to see. I'm living in Phoenix now but I still enjoy visiting Detroit when I get a chance. Lot's of great memories there!